School me on modern Springfield M1A's

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
M1A wooden stocks. What do you like for finish? I have a SA over sized Walnut stock. Beautiful piece of wood but the factory finish is a bit raw.
depends on what look your after or what level of protection your going after.
I like 100% pure tung oil over all. For a tad more "weather/moister" protection i use TruOil.

Kilroy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have a 1987 mfg Springfield Armory M1A made with many USGI parts it shoots very accurate and fit and finish is perfect.
Back when firearms were made with craftsmanship.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M1A wooden stocks. What do you like for finish? I have a SA over sized Walnut stock. Beautiful piece of wood but the factory finish is a bit raw.
I bought an aftermarket walnut stock for mine as it was originally in plastic...I used what I had...TEAK OIL...from my sailboat stuff [rockon] and have gotten compliments on how good it looks.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I bought an aftermarket walnut stock for mine as it was originally in plastic...I used what I had...TEAK OIL...from my sailboat stuff [rockon] and have gotten compliments on how good it looks.
Almost anything will work and look good.
Teak oil is nothing more than some type finishing oil thinned out.
basically pre thinned BLO, TungOil ectect

Last edited:
Rating - 98%
50   1   0
Just putting it out there that I had a recent production M1A National Match with the bedded wood stock, a Basset scope mount and a Leupold 3.5-10x40. With Federal Gold Medal match it was bolt rifle accurate from 100-300 yards. I was shocked by the accuracy.

This post belongs in the “guns you regret selling” thread. I’ll probably have to buy another one now.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Just putting it out there that I had a recent production M1A National Match with the bedded wood stock, a Basset scope mount and a Leupold 3.5-10x40. With Federal Gold Medal match it was bolt rifle accurate from 100-300 yards. I was shocked by the accuracy.

This post belongs in the “guns you regret selling” thread. I’ll probably have to buy another one now.
i hope you got good money for it...

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to scope my M1A. So far I’ve fought off the urge, but one day I’m sure it will happen.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I keep going back and forth on whether I want to scope my M1A. So far I’ve fought off the urge, but one day I’m sure it will happen.
A good mount helps,
I tried 3 different SAI mounts fir what ever reason they did not work well.
Basset and a SEI mount both solid but I use my M1a for cmp MM so the scope does not go on to often.
Plus if you dont have a comb riser or adjustable comb its not the most comfortable scoped rifle

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost anything will work and look good.
Teak oil is nothing more than some type finishing oil thinned out.
basically pre thinned BLO, TungOil ectect
Worst oil to use is the Tung Oil purchased from the big box stores. They have a poly added to it and will build up a thick shine that looks terrible is a GI look is desired. Best produce is pure oil that can be obtained from a woodworking store. While not cheap a pint will last forever. Multiple coats , first thinned with mineral spirits then thicker coats allowing to dry builds up a nice finish without the gloss.

Rating - 98%
50   1   0
Scopes on M14's, short-peckered barrels on M14's, silly chassis systems for stocks on M14's; they are all an abomination.

The Bassett mount takes all of 20 seconds to put on and off and returnes to zero very well. I would shoot irons at the range, then throw on the scope and shoot little groups.

I don’t think this looks like an abomination.. it like like a rifle in transition from old to new, which is exactly what the M14 was I suppose.

forgot that I also had the Velcro kydex cheek riser which was a must when scoped. So more like 3 minutes between irons and scoped.

ARs with all the doo-dads, now that’s a different story.

Attachments

• 27437846-8CF7-4933-A6F9-021B7E128769.jpeg
    27437846-8CF7-4933-A6F9-021B7E128769.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Worst oil to use is the Tung Oil purchased from the big box stores. They have a poly added to it and will build up a thick shine that looks terrible is a GI look is desired. Best produce is pure oil that can be obtained from a woodworking store. While not cheap a pint will last forever. Multiple coats , first thinned with mineral spirits then thicker coats allowing to dry builds up a nice finish without the gloss.
True most anything labeled
“Tung Oil Finish” has very little tung oil in them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what does a USGI parts kit go for nowadays? I bought some from CMP many yrs. ago and i think i have one left. Cant ever see me building another,,

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Out of curiosity what does a USGI parts kit go for nowadays? I bought some from CMP many yrs. ago and i think i have one left. Cant ever see me building another,,
Depends on manufacture and what parts/condition.
My guess is you could double your money.
Or hook some one up, wink wink
For a small profit over clp cost and help someone (wink wink) build out another rifle..I got some parts that need more parts.

22lr

NES Member
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I’ll be the outlier here. I tried the platform a while back and went all in on an old(er) Springfield M1A that had a bunch of USGI parts. It is hard to beat the ‘cool’ factor of the M14, but IMHO there are more practical options out there, like an AR in .308. It just wasn’t for me.

jpk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What I'm saying is that in my perception, this is what an M14 would have looked like if it came out of an armory in 1965.
It did not; I bought it in Carson City, NV in 1996.
Maybe some Vietnam era veterans can correct me if that is not what an M14 looked like.
I still need to pick up an M6 bayonet for it.

View attachment 455820
View attachment 455821

Now you just need a Les Tam sling to go with it......

powerman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
100% buy one. If you want the real M14 experience, get the GI Standard Issue with the 22" barrel.
If you're a casual shooter, Id go with the 18" Scout Squad.

Either way, MUST get the wood stock.
i agree with the first two sentences but disagree with the third.
I have 3 , with comments on each
1) m14 in wood, GI got to have one of them.
2) scout squad in polymer stock, love this shoots like and AR, easy to point.
3) and one GI with a mils spec fiberglass stock (that stock is so stiff it like getting a wacked with a baseball bat, will upgrade to wood at some point.

go to is #2

Da_lucche

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Demokratic People's Republik of Massachusux
Buy a M14 clone that isn't a SA. I owned a SA SOCOM 16 and I found the gun relatively mediocre.

Figure out what you're going to do with a M14 clone first. If you're nostalgic, buy a clone with as many GI parts as possible. If you want a CMP match gun, get one. If you want an EBR DMR, look at Fulton Armory's higher end guns.

For a gun to actually "use", I'd suggest a FAL or G3 instead, but I get the vibe that this is more about nostalgia and aesthetic than practical utility.

Edit: SA specifically gets more love on this website than other brands, but that's probably because Springfield Armory M1As are exempted from the Mass AWB. If you don't live in Mass, you should really consider other brands.

I had high expectations for my Socom 16 and I was thoroughly disappointed by it. Sold it, put together an AR308 instead.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ll be the outlier here. I tried the platform a while back and went all in on an old(er) Springfield M1A that had a bunch of USGI parts. It is hard to beat the ‘cool’ factor of the M14, but IMHO there are more practical options out there, like an AR in .308. It just wasn’t for me.

I had high expectations for my Socom 16 and I was thoroughly disappointed by it. Sold it, put together an AR308 instead.

I agree that an AR in .308 or 6.5CM is way more practical than a M14 clone. Time and the market has proven that. And the M14's NATO contemporaries had much longer frontline service lives - the FAL kept going until the 80s, 90s, and the G3 is still in service with smaller countries like Portugal and Norway. The M14 left frontline service during Vietnam. The M14 was the US service rifle with the shortest frontline service life.

The thing about the M14 is that its effectively a Garand with a detachable mag. Similar size, roughly similar weight, similar buyers, similar manual of arms. Both are nostalgia guns. Companies like SA rely on nostalgia to sell guns.

Top Bottom