School me on Lever Actions (please?)

Heads-up.
If you have been lucky enough to get a Marlin Dark Series.......OIL IT!

Check out the rust on nutnfancy's.

View: https://youtu.be/1ZKJAEXcHik

Remington has had the worlds shittiest parkerized finish for 30 years now. Its nothing new.

I've had several 870's with the parkerized cheaper finish, that rusted when you looked at them.

Remington has sucked since they discontinued the 721. ☹️
I thought that was Firestone.

"The "721" is the top-of-the-line steel-belted radial tire that is being used to replace, free of charge, the millions of "500" steel-belted radials now being returned to Firestone by consumers under the largest product recall in history."

71SLnLYAH0L._AC_SX466_.jpg
s-l400.jpg

Gunprime has 357 Henry's with the side gate right now for 1399.00 .......... $400 over MSRP. Thats retarded.

Thank God I bought my Marlin 357 last year for what I thought was steep at 550! Now they are unobtainium until Ruger decides to make them again, and odds are when they
do they will be kissing a grand probably.

LGS in NH had two 357 Henry Big boys with the side gate blued reciever for sub 1K. The carbine one had horrible wood to metal fit and finish. Metal was sticking out the bottom where it shouldn't be. The forearm on the full size rattled, and the buttpad was finished not so nice. My Remlin has it all over these things. Hopefully, they are not the new norm.

That said they had some other rifles in different calibers that were much better.

Found this in the classifieds

Hunted with nothing but Marlin 336s growing up, including a .45-70 1895 with an 18" ported barrel. There's a lot of variability in lever guns that isn't apparent at first glance. One one end, a BLR is basically a modern rifle that happens to be lever operated, up to and including the DBM. On the extreme other end, an 1873 in .38-40 is still a very handy gun. Feel free to make fun of me, but I find that working the lever in the cold hurts my hands, so I moved to bolt and semi-auto guns for hunting long ago (though it's a challenge to find a place to do so these days). If I did get a lever gun, perhaps the shining compromise is a 16" barrel .44 Magnum. You can push a 300 grain bullet up to 1850 FPS from that barrel, which will drastically diminish the motivation and likely also vital forces of any North American creature within 100 yards of you.

View: https://youtu.be/B5-Zq0iqNGM

Notice that the new Miroku made 92's are actually marked ".357 Magnum Only".
As I've said in several threads here about model 92's, I've yet to find one that cycled reliably with both .38's and .357's.
I personally love the model 92 design, I have several variants, but they always prefer one round or the other.
Miroku must have figured this out and decided to save owners the headache of discovering this for themselves by adding this marking.

As I've said in several threads here about model 92's, I've yet to find one that cycled reliably with both .38's and .357's.
I personally love the model 92 design, I have several variants, but they always prefer one round or the other.
Miroku must have figured this out and decided to save owners the headache of discovering this for themselves by adding this marking.

Gaaawwwwd... just shut up and shoot and show us the results!

Or just wanted to avoid the after-sale hassle on their end. My Rossi works with anything having a COAL long enough that the lifter isn’t blocked by the rim of the next waiting cartridge in the magazine tube. Had some 125gr LFN 38s that were a hard fail on that account, but 125gr TCFPs work fine in 38 special. Its problem is an oversized chamber that allows more expansion of the brass near the base than I would like as a reloader. When I shoot 357M out of it, I toss the brass.

Or just wanted to avoid the after-sale hassle on their end. My Rossi works with anything having a COAL long enough that the lifter isn’t blocked by the rim of the next waiting cartridge in the magazine tube. Had some 125gr LFN 38s that were a hard fail on that account, but 125gr TCFPs work fine in 38 special. Its problem is an oversized chamber that allows more expansion of the brass near the base than I would like as a reloader. When I shoot 357M out of it, I toss the brass.

I had a Rossi Puma that worked good with .38's, but it would blow the case heads off .357's.
I'd fire, then cycle the action, and just the case head would eject, while the case body would remain stuck in the chamber.
That creates a huge headache, because you can't cycle the remaining rounds through the action to empty the magazine tube, and it's a bitch to dig the shell body out of the chamber.

I had a Rossi Puma that worked good with .38's, but it would blow the case heads off .357's.
I'd fire, then cycle the action, and just the case head would eject, while the case body would remain stuck in the chamber.
That creates a huge headache, because you can't cycle the remaining rounds through the action to empty the magazine tube, and it's a bitch to dig the shell body out of the chamber.
Yeesh.

Does the action have clearance to stick an L-shaped rod with a leetle hook on the end
forward through the debased cartridge, grab the mouth of the case, and jerk it out?
(Or run a jag cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle and catch the case mouth?)
It would be no way to run a railroad, but if it worked, easier than trying to grab the case
in the chamber from the rear.

Or is the case mouth flared wider than the lede, so you can't hook the front of the case?

My Marlin does OK with 38's, cycles a lot better with 357 mag. But honestly, as a reloader, my feeling is "why" because its not like there is any real kick with a 357 magnum carbine. And I don't want to keep switching my reloading die settings back and forth. I just shoot the 357 mag because that's what I'd use anyway if I hunted with it and that's what the sights would be set for.

That said I don't shoot cowboy action and realize why these guys load pastry puff 38 loads, but if I shot cowboy a 73 winchester is a lot faster than other designs like a 92 or marlin 1894

Insanity

New In Box = Check out the price sold for:
Used No Box = Check out the price sold for:

Marlin 1894 CSBL 1894CSBL Lever Action Rifle 357M 357 Mag 70433 16.5 - Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 896626183

Last edited:
Insanity

Marlin 1894 CSBL 1894CSBL Lever Action Rifle 357M 357 Mag 70433 16.5 - Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 896626183

I knew Marlins were good, but not THAT good! [slap]

Insanity

HOLY shit! Glad I bought my Marlin CSBL early last year for just under a grand.

HOLY shit! Glad I bought my Marlin CSBL early last year for just under a grand.

Same here. I really have never understood the quick dollar flipper thing of selling a suddenly sought-after high demand item for a small low-level profit number .... while "ass"-uming that the prices will drop back to some hopefully lower previous cost level.

Im sorry, but I just tend to view such personal purchases like that ... as a simple confirmation of this:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

:cool:

Last edited:
I think that model is cool, but I wonder what the outsized attraction is. It's a practical configuration, but surely that kind of money is not spent on it because it's practical. Could it be that people think these pre-Ruger, post-JM Marlins are going to be worth more even after Ruger starts producing? Or maybe they are worried that Ruger won't bring back that particular model? That's not what I would have predicted, to not bring back the models in highest demand, but we'll see.

Waiting on my new "Cody-matic" Uberti 1873 in .357 magnum, which I bought for purely non-utilitarian reasons. Might get here this week. Probably next. SASS-tuned 1873s aren't cheap, but I don't think I paid a higher price than I would have pre-pandemic.

Insanity

I wonder what my classic 336SC would fetch? It's chambered in the best of the 357 rounds. The venerable 35 Remington.

I was about to come in here and ask the same question as to why the prices on this model skyrocketed.
I checked on big daddy unlimited, and the prices were sub $1000.
It seems even on armslist, they are fetching the same price.

But other models, are around the $1000 mark.
Shame,because I want to add a 45-70 to the collection and this one seemed real nice. Bit not $2000+ nice

Waiting on my new "Cody-matic" Uberti 1873 in .357 magnum, which I bought for purely non-utilitarian reasons. Might get here this week. Probably next. SASS-tuned 1873s aren't cheap, but I don't think I paid a higher price than I would have pre-pandemic.

Pretty pleased with it. I've felt lever actions this light but never this smooth with this short of a throw. He lightened up the safety spring so that one doesn't need extra pressure to close the lever to disengage the safety.

Had a couple of light strikes early with my first 60 rounds. They wouldn't go off when restruck, so they might have been duds. I'm skeptical about that. I will have to see if I can set them off in another gun before giving up on those two primers (suddenly wasting two primers seems wrong). Found that it wouldn't cycle my 1.605" COAL light .357 magnums with the conical Hornady HAP style bullets from Zero, though I could chamber and shoot them one at a time. Checked when I returned home and found that my 180 grain RNFP loads also won't cycle. I think they are are probably 1.595", or thereabouts. Not sure if an Uberti 1873 would have been like that out of the box or if it is because of the short stroke mod. Blaming it on the mod does make some sense. No biggie. I was debating whether to shoot the heavy 180 grainers out of it, anyway. Question resolved.

My normal 158 grain Zero JHP .357 Magnum loads cycle (under 1.585" COAL), as do my 125 grain TCFP Missouri bullet 38+P's. Most likely I'll be shooting mostly the latter out of it, anyway. Coated lead is pretty fast for pressure compared to jacketed bullets, so it's not like I'll be lobbing them. Back when I chronographed them through the Rossi, I was getting those moving almost as fast loaded over Auto Pistol as my light magnum jacketed loads, which are loaded over Universal.

Decided to order a leather buttstock cover for it. I don't mind shooting with crescents, but handling the rifle, i.e., whenever the rifle isn't in the pocket to shoot, and when cycling the lever, I think it will be nicer. Surprisingly, I do think I'm sticking with the semi-buckhorn rear sight. To me it's a lot better than the Marbles semi-buckhorn sights with that little adjustable leaf in it. I do hate those. But for some reason I can see what's going on with the Uberti rear sight and the brass bead on the front sight.

1873b.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty pleased with it. I've lever felt actions this light but never this smooth with this short of a throw. He lightened up the safety spring so that one doesn't need extra pressure to close the lever to disengage the safety.

Had a couple of light strikes early with my first 60 rounds. They wouldn't go off when restruck, so they might have been duds. I'm skeptical about that. I will have to see if I can set them off in another gun before giving up on those two primers (suddenly wasting two primers seems wrong). Found that it wouldn't cycle my 1.605" COAL light .357 magnums with the conical Hornady HAP style bullets from Zero, though I could chamber and shoot them one at a time. Checked when I returned home and found that my 180 grain RNFP loads also won't cycle. I think they are are probably 1.595", or thereabouts. Not sure if an Uberti 1873 would have been like that out of the box or if it is because of the short stroke mod. Blaming it on the mod does make some sense. No biggie. I was debating whether to shoot the heavy 180 grainers out of it, anyway. Question resolved.

My normal 158 grain Zero JHP .357 Magnum loads cycle (under 1.585" COAL), as do my 125 grain TCFP Missouri bullet 38+P's. Most likely I'll be shooting mostly the latter out of it, anyway. Coated lead is pretty fast for pressure compared to jacketed bullets, so it's not like I'll be lobbing them. Back when I chronographed them through the Rossi, I was getting those moving almost as fast loaded over Auto Pistol as my light magnum jacketed loads, which are loaded over Universal.

Decided to order a leather buttstock cover for it. I don't mind shooting with crescents, but handling the rifle, i.e., whenever the rifle isn't in the pocket to shoot, and when cycling the lever, I think it will be nicer. Surprisingly, I do think I'm sticking with the semi-buckhorn rear sight. To me it's a lot better than the Marbles semi-buckhorn sights with that little adjustable leaf in it. I do hate those. But for some reason I can see what's going on with the Uberti rear sight and the brass bead on the front sight.

View attachment 473043
Sexy!
My next 1873 will be from Cody. For the few hundred bucks extra it’s totally worth it.

Pretty pleased with it. I've felt lever actions this light but never this smooth with this short of a throw. He lightened up the safety spring so that one doesn't need extra pressure to close the lever to disengage the safety.

View attachment 473043

That things a looker. Very nice.

i would say it is an abomination to buy such a weapon in a plastic stock version.
I guess Henry is thinking of their plastic...er, excuse me, polymer stocks as rugged, all-weather stocks rather than as just tactical. But then, shouldn't the steel parts be hard-chromed like in the AW models? Does anybody want to use 45-70 in home defense? If it's not for home defense, do you really want to be lugging around like 100 rounds of 300-400 grain 45-70 cartridges?

I guess Henry is thinking of their plastic...er, excuse me, polymer stocks as rugged, all-weather stocks rather than as just tactical. But then, shouldn't the steel parts be hard-chromed like in the AW models? Does anybody want to use 45-70 in home defense? If it's not for home defense, do you really want to be lugging around like 100 rounds of 300-400 grain 45-70 cartridges?
I would use it for home defense. Why not? One shot from that rifle and everyone is evacuating the whole damn street. 😂
The old 3 ball load is perfect for this. 3 -145 ish grain balls at about 1000 FPS.
it’s like 12 gauge but sexier.

F94EECC1-CF7F-4AD3-BADF-901240B1CD60.jpeg

i would buy one, may be. it is a historic artifact, after all. i wonder, can it handle 45-70.500?

Back
Top Bottom