School me on Lever Actions (please?)

I forget if I posted this here before, if so just ignore it. I just wanted to relay my experience with Henry.
I bought one of their first pump action 22 rifles. I had to send it back twice for the same failure to extract. Turns out the chamber had a tiny imperfection and the fired cartridge case would expand into to tiny nick and get stuck.
Not sure how they missed it on the first repair, but they did. I emailed to arrange for the second repair and later that day I got a phone call from the owner of Henry, Mr. Anthony Imperato, SR.
He called to personally apologize and to let me know that they would repair or replace my gun and pick up the shipping tab both ways.
I couldn't believe that the owner himself called!
Anyway, the rifle came back in perfect condition along with a box of gifts.
A nice die cast model of an old time Henry delivery truck, a beautiful metal wall plaque, a Henry ball cap, and a few other things along with a letter of apology signed by Mr.Imperato.
Needless to say I'm a Henry fan to this day.

May this thread never die. Question for you guys. I got out at lunch time with the 45-70. I added a skinner peep, which is awesome but that front sight sucks. I even painted the bead white. Especially when placed on a black target, it just disappears. I removed the hood and it appears I could put a dovetail sight on it. Does anybody know if there is a hi-viz type site that would be compatible? I really do not want to scope this thing; it just be wrong :)

Pete

Ranger Point advertises some, maybe try them.

Defensive uses are rarely in full sunlight on the range. I suggest that any lever action (or any other gun, really) that is kept ready for home defense, have some kind of high-visibility sights. Fiber optic and ghost ring, at least.

Also, that Ohio standard was hilarious for a "tactical carbine"/"patrol rifle" course of fire. I thought my agency had a pretty lax handgun course, but we shot more pistol rounds from 15+ yards than Ohio requires for rifles inside 15 yards.

Defensive uses are rarely in full sunlight on the range. I suggest that any lever action (or any other gun, really) that is kept ready for home defense, have some kind of high-visibility sights. Fiber optic and ghost ring, at least.

Also, that Ohio standard was hilarious for a "tactical carbine"/"patrol rifle" course of fire. I thought my agency had a pretty lax handgun course, but we shot more pistol rounds from 15+ yards than Ohio requires for rifles inside 15 yards.
Yeah some of his state test are really basic. He’s working his way through all of the states it seems and using all kinds of guns. Single actions. Old Smith auto loaders. It’s cool, but it doesn’t give you much faith in some of the law enforcement based off their qualification.

MOOOOOOORE PICS!!!

Sorry. I only took that one because I had forgotten my reading glasses, and I wanted to look up the serial number in a table. The wood looked old and very dark but not cracked and not really all that dinged up that I can remember. Full-length rifle, IIRC. Action was good, but the hammer was heavier than I expected, not very different from my modern Miroku 1892, so if I were to shoot it, I'd probably want a lighter hammer spring. Comes with 2 pieces of 32-20 brass! :) I was adding it up in my head...rifle, dies, brass from Starline, bullets. Not sure what the conventional wisdom is about an 1873 made in 1891. 32-20 is a low pressure round, so it seems like a smokeless powder to normal pressure would be fine, but this rifle surely only knew black powder when it was young.

Sorry. I only took that one because I had forgotten my reading glasses, and I wanted to look up the serial number in a table. The wood looked old and very dark but not cracked and not really all that dinged up that I can remember. Full-length rifle, IIRC. Action was good, but the hammer was heavier than I expected, not very different from my modern Miroku 1892, so if I were to shoot it, I'd probably want a lighter hammer spring. Comes with 2 pieces of 32-20 brass! :) I was adding it up in my head...rifle, dies, brass from Starline, bullets. Not sure what the conventional wisdom is about an 1873 made in 1891. 32-20 is a low pressure round, so it seems like a smokeless powder to normal pressure would be fine, but this rifle surely only knew black powder when it was young.
I wouldn’t be afraid to run that with low pressure smokeless loads. Check the pressures. Lots of people lean toward trail boss but in a small cartridge like that I bet you can get lower pressures with clays or red dot.
Seems Hodgdon has plenty of data on their website.
I just picked up a Lyman 311316 mould for the 32/20.
let me know if you want to try some bullets out of it.

So you think I should buy it, do you? Looking around, it seems like it might be a good deal. 32-20 seems like a good plinking caliber, too, but a rifle of this vintage would be a new thing for me.

So you think I should buy it, do you? Looking around, it seems like it might be a good deal. 32-20 seems like a good plinking caliber, too, but a rifle of this vintage would be a new thing for me.
If the price is right and it’s not worn to crap then I would go for it. They don’t make them anymore so the value will increase on an original. However it’s not a show piece judging by the pic so it’s still a fine candidate for a plinker.
Even if you had to load it with BP it would still be awesome to shoot.

Crap, no way I will ever find a deal here on Northeastshooters with all of you lever action lovers :)

I thought I was on to something nobody paid attention to because ARs have taken over. Uggh.

Even the AR fans in this group have added them to their collection, not replaced firearms
Lots of lever shooters here. There was recently a group buy on Henrys

I’m debating if I should bring this to Maine for deer hunting in October/November....Been using the Henry 44 but have yet to get a shot at a deer...357 mag would be good for deer since most shots are 50 yards and under up there.

I’m debating if I should bring this to Maine for deer hunting in October/November....Been using the Henry 44 but have yet to get a shot at a deer...357 mag would be good for deer since most shots are 50 yards and under up there.
Until you see that buck of a lifetime at 150 yards.........

Plenty for deer. I can send you some Lyman 358627 if you want. Theyr
Until you see that buck of a lifetime at 150 yards.........
Not good to think that way. You’ll end up bringing a 50 BMG with you.
Just like the archery guys or the revolver guys. Know your max range and stick to it. Stalk closer or let it go.

Just got back from the range. Shot various loads with CCI and Win primers, JSPs, round nose and SWCs. No light strikes in 100 rounds. I think the reduced power spring is just fine.

And holy crap was it accurate and fun to shoot. I burned through those 100 rounds real quick. Definitely more pleasant to shoot than my Henry 44 magnum lol. And it’s so freaking light and handy! I love it.

Just got back from the range. Shot various loads with CCI and Win primers, JSPs, round nose and SWCs. No light strikes in 100 rounds. I think the reduced power spring is just fine.

And holy crap was it accurate and fun to shoot. I burned through those 100 rounds real quick. Definitely more pleasant to shoot than my Henry 44 magnum lol. And it’s so freaking light and handy! I love it.
Gotta love it.
wait till you start messing around at longer ranges. We have steel at 200/300/500 at my range and all summer I spend my range time plinking at 200/300 with the 38/357

some day I’ll join Harvard to shoot 300 yards but that’s an hour from my house. My local club is less than 5 min from my house.
I have the same issues as you. I am eyeing Harvard. Just have to find someone to sponsor me. I already belong to two shooting clubs, but now that I have gotten hooked on rifles I am yearning for some more distance. 100 yards with a 308 is almost silly.

That would be amazing. Or being in an awesome state where you can head out with your 1894 some hot load and some target loads and hunt all kind of small game. Not around here

I take my lever actions coyote hunting all the time.

Ive taken some long ass shots with my 45-70 long barrel cowboy. I have a few spots with long fields.

Last edited:
May this thread never die. Question for you guys. I got out at lunch time with the 45-70. I added a skinner peep, which is awesome but that front sight sucks. I even painted the bead white. Especially when placed on a black target, it just disappears. I removed the hood and it appears I could put a dovetail sight on it. Does anybody know if there is a hi-viz type site that would be compatible? I really do not want to scope this thing; it just be wrong :)

Pete

On both my 45-70s the brass beads does well with the peep.

there are some that offer hi viz sights in the dovetail, or skinner blade.

on my 450 marlin guide gun I put a ghost ring setup and the front has a post with a white line that is very easy to see. They are made by xs sights and you dont need a rail.

igot the sights off of grabagun for like 70 bucks for front and rear

Man, too bad we do not live in a normal state where we could go to a large open area for a lever action day.
That would be amazing. Or being in an awesome state where you can head out with your 1894 some hot load and some target loads and hunt all kind of small game. Not around here

All you'd really need is some pistol pits.

InRangeTV does lever action 2-gun matches with lever rifles and period revolvers. As long as you're shooting relatively mild pistol calibers, you could use a club's pistol pits to shoot at steel poppers. Throw in some revolver action too for balance.

If you want to bring rifle calibers, like .30-30, .45-70, etc., you would need a rifle range and stronger targets. You could conceivably do a rifle spinner with big enough calibers and fast enough shooters, like an extended-tube .45-70.

If you're creative enough, you can make anything happen.

I take my lever actions coyote hunting all the time.

Ive taken some long ass shots with my 45-70 long barrel cowboy. I have a few spots with long fields.
I think I need to do that. Do you do well coyote hunting? I’ve never really looked into it. I have some buddies that have done it and done well over the years though.

Back
Top Bottom