• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

I had a Rossi Puma that worked good with .38's, but it would blow the case heads off .357's.
I'd fire, then cycle the action, and just the case head would eject, while the case body would remain stuck in the chamber.
That creates a huge headache, because you can't cycle the remaining rounds through the action to empty the magazine tube, and it's a bitch to dig the shell body out of the chamber.
I have a Rossi that feeds both reliably, but I spent as much at Steve's Gunz as I did on the rifle.

Last edited:
I would use it for home defense. Why not? One shot from that rifle and everyone is evacuating the whole damn street. 😂
The old 3 ball load is perfect for this. 3 -145 ish grain balls at about 1000 FPS.
it’s like 12 gauge but sexier.

View attachment 537014

That is the only reason I'd buy a 45/70.
3 lead balls of hatred.

That is the only reason I'd buy a 45/70.
3 lead balls of hatred.
The 45-70 is just an awesome gun. I have settled on two loads for now, a light one and one to pop a dislocated shoulder back into place. I would love to try the three round ball load though. That could be a lot of fun on pumpkins. The 45-70 is a reloading dream gun, and has such a great history. A must have for anyone that likes lever actions.

The 45-70 is just an awesome gun. I have settled on two loads for now, a light one and one to pop a dislocated shoulder back into place. I would love to try the three round ball load though. That could be a lot of fun on pumpkins. The 45-70 is a reloading dream gun, and has such a great history. A must have for anyone that likes lever actions.
This.

I have a Marlin 1895 with the 22 barrel and Skinner sights. Love to shoot low power loads to plink steel.....but I've got some kick ass stuff as well.

My Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 450 Marlin......that will dislocate a shoulder. Not so fun to shoot. But if Im ever hunting bears it would be the first thing I pick up.

The old 3 ball load is perfect for this. 3 -145 ish grain balls at about 1000 FPS.
it’s like 12 gauge but sexier.
f94eecc1-cf7f-4ad3-badf-901240b1cd60-jpeg.537014
Aguila makes that ammo.
It's called "Tres Huevos".

Good suggestion. They do carry one (yay!) but it's a backorder (boo).

TL, DR.

Can anyone give me a good source of rifle stock ammo carriers for a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag?

I got my cuff and sling from Aces and Eights Leather. [thumbsup]

Aces and Eights
At Aces & 8's we strive to provide quality handmade leather goods made in independence, Mo USA. DM or Email [email protected] for prices

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CL1xt2iLzQJ/

I have holsters from Diamond D and they are top quality.

I recently picked up a Marlin 1894 in .44Mag. It has the QR looking thing on the receiver which makes it a Remlin and made after 2011, ??
Without starting a new thread (and reading 26 pages) is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for with regards to chronic issues?
Most of what I’ve read consists of poor quality control “muh checkering wasn’t perfect” and “there’s a small gap in the stock”. But I haven’t seen anything of substance floating around in my limited searching.

The loading gate screw was slightly loose but we fixed that before I took ownership. Action seems perfectly fine and it looks to be in great condition. Rubbed it down with a remoil cloth and hope to shoot it tomorrow.
Thanks from a new lever gun owner.

I recently picked up a Marlin 1894 in .44Mag. It has the QR looking thing on the receiver which makes it a Remlin and made after 2011, ??
Without starting a new thread (and reading 26 pages) is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for with regards to chronic issues?
Most of what I’ve read consists of poor quality control “muh checkering wasn’t perfect” and “there’s a small gap in the stock”. But I haven’t seen anything of substance floating around in my limited searching.

The loading gate screw was slightly loose but we fixed that before I took ownership. Action seems perfectly fine and it looks to be in great condition. Rubbed it down with a remoil cloth and hope to shoot it tomorrow.
most of it was really bad fit, but they got better if you can figure out a born on date for yours.

The wood to metal fit was bad, but people also mentioned a stripped or cross threaded screws, lifters that were out of spec and some other issues. Some had no issues other than cosmetic and others would not feed any ammo reliably. If yours feeds fine and noting about the appearance seems off, it is probably fine.

most of it was really bad fit, but they got better if you can figure out a born on date for yours.

The wood to metal fit was bad, but people also mentioned a stripped or cross threaded screws, lifters that were out of spec and some other issues. Some had no issues other than cosmetic and others would not feed any ammo reliably. If yours feeds fine and noting about the appearance seems off, it is probably fine.

My understanding of the situation with the quality of early Remington produced Marlins is pretty much what @bfm stated.

But somewhere in the 26 pages/766 posts on this thread is an article I read and linked to about how Remington addressed this issue. If my somewhat age-impacted memory serves me right, Remington did address this issue by setting up a section of their plant operation to concentrate on making better Remlins.

IF I can find it I will try to link to it again.

Please let us know how yours shoots because you may have a perfectly serviceable rifle.

Not quite on target (pun intended) but you may want to look at this thread.

If my somewhat age-impacted memory serves me right, Remington did address this issue by setting up a section of their plant operation to concentrate on making better Remlins.

IF I can find it I will try to link to it again.
The Marlin tooling was old and worn and the rifles really worked because the people running the machines knew every quirk and foible. Then they shipped it all to a new plant and gave it to people who had never worked on those machines before. Remington stopped all production and retooled everything, eventually going to a lot of new CNC machines. Even then it took them a couple false starts to get it all running smoothly.

TL, DR.

Can anyone give me a good source of rifle stock ammo carriers for a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag?

Try Andy’s Leather. He was on NES for a while but not sure he still is. I’ve got three of his cuffs on my levers and the work great.

Try Andy’s Leather. He was on NES for a while but not sure he still is. I’ve got three of his cuffs on my levers and the work great.

[slap]

Duh, how could I forget! I have bought from him in the past. And he is still here, just generally very quiet I think.

@Andy in NH

Back
Top Bottom