• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

Oh you better be reloading for 357 as well. Do you know how many rounds you can blow through in an hour with a lever? :)
Same with the 30-30. I can burn thru quite a bit just blasting stuff. I ended up buying dies because I shot it way more than I thought I would.

357......minimum of 100 rounds...its just so fun you can't stop.

Gotta get up to 44mag and 45-70 before you might feel it.

Ive gotta get a BB in 41 Mag. Someone gave me about 1000 rounds of 41 Mag and I've yet to use it. I have a Ruger Black hawk in 41Mag. Now I want to buy one and can't find one. Im sure its not a big seller so Henry is probably busy making other more popular rifles.

I'm kinda hoping they come out with it in side gate, but I'm not holding my breath.
I had to order mine, went thru Shooting Supply. Had in less than a week but that before all the f***ery went crazy.

I'm kinda hoping they come out with it in side gate, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I'm not sure you'll ever see a side-gate model in 41 magnum. But they announced today a whole bunch of side-gate models, including Big Boys. It could happen down the road if they eventually stop making the ones without side gates altogether.

Henry announces side gates on all steel center fire models!!

View: https://www.facebook.com/123063591097271/posts/4847033725366877/

Got eMail on this last night - My oh My that Case hardened .357 Carbine, Big Loop Lever looks AWESOME
> > Group Buy ???

Need to think about this and .357 Wheel gun as a pair... Any favorites on the revolver ?

Last edited:
Henry announces side gates on all steel center fire models!!

View: https://www.facebook.com/123063591097271/posts/4847033725366877/

I just saw that yesterday.

The color case hardened 20" .357 is on my wish list.
Looks like it still has a tube too. Will make quick work of emptying it. Best of both worlds.

I just saw that yesterday.

The color case hardened 20" .357 is on my wish list.
Looks like it still has a tube too. Will make quick work of emptying it. Best of both worlds.

Ok. Glad this thread exists for us newbs. I thought even with the gate, they are still tube mags. Are you saying there are some gate fed that don't have tubes?

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Completes The Acquisition of Marlin Assets
November 24, 2020
& Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) announced today that the closing of its acquisition of substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets occurred on Monday, November 23. The agreement to purchase these assets emanated from the Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. bankruptcy and was approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama on September 30, 2020. The purchase price of approximately $28.3 million was paid with available cash on hand.

Chief Executive Officer Christopher J. Killoy noted the excitement that has permeated the firearms industry in anticipation of the confluence of these two iconic firearms brands, "Since we announced the agreement to purchase Marlin in September, we have heard from countless members of the firearms community - consumers, retailers, distributors, writers, and collectors - who are delighted that legendary Marlin rifles are now part of the Ruger product family. We are excited to start moving these assets to our Ruger facilities and setting up the manufacturing cells that will produce Marlin rifles for years to come. We look forward to re-introducing Marlin rifles in the latter half of 2021."

Ok. Glad this thread exists for us newbs. I thought even with the gate, they are still tube mags. Are you saying there are some gate fed that don't have tubes?
Nope, I am not.
I had a marlin and a rossi at one point, I don't believe either had a the twist-off tube option like the henry's do. Both had the captured spring tube mags.
Looks like henry kept both the tube feed option and added the sidegate on top of it.

Nope, I am not.
I had a marlin and a rossi at one point, I don't believe either had a the twist-off tube option like the henry's do. Both had the captured spring tube mags.
Looks like henry kept both the tube feed option and added the sidegate on top of it.

Ok. I think I have it. So they all have tube mags, but only some twist off at the muzzle end for loading that way?

Ok. I think I have it. So they all have tube mags, but only some twist off at the muzzle end for loading that way?
That’s right. I think they all disassemble for cleaning like shotguns and the cap can come off, but generally it was only Henry’s that have the loading from the tube end.

That’s right. I think they all disassemble for cleaning like shotguns and the cap can come off, but generally it was only Henry’s that have the loading from the tube end.

My Chiappa .22 lever has a twist off too. I just figured that was because it was .22 and the rounds wouldn't handle being pressed into a gate.

Yes sir.
Try to picture the old tube fed .22 bolt action guns and how those would load.
With just a gate, you'd cycle it until the tube was empty.
Now you can just load em in the gate, and empty it through the tube. At least with the pistol caliber ones you can, no idea if the rifle cartridge ones do or don't.

Someone remind me if Big Boys do well with .38spl please. I've only ever shot .357 through mine; the question just popped into my head and I'm not at the range right now so I can't simply go test it [laugh]

My grandfather passed away over the summer at 90 years old - RIP Artie.

He had this gorgeous Marlin 336 SC in 30-30. Looked up the serial number and it was made in 1953.

Been in an attic for many years so it needs a good cleaning and lubing. But the trigger and action is very nice. No rust either just regular handling wear on the receiver.

The receiver isn’t drilled and tapped. My dad wanted to use it as a backup deer rifle with a scope. I told him we can’t unless we drill the receiver. Can’t say I want to do that to a vintage Marlin!

Currently preparing some 30-30 brass to reload. Can’t wait to shoot it.
78C6CF3C-6759-49AF-B80D-7B98FF1BD95C.jpeg
71D835EC-55E9-4267-8B05-A91B23CA764D.jpeg
9F0C49CD-12B9-4920-B3CF-A7C2CD1E35DE.jpeg

Next battle is getting this receiver screw out for cleaning/lube. Will not budge. Dropped some kroil on it. Hopefully that will loosen it. There was some rust on the inside end of the screw.
82129EC1-2F7F-4489-A7D7-7CEA12E131A4.jpeg 739F1120-9248-44FB-BF31-C5A327BE0061.jpeg

I think I’m going to stop further disassembly unless I can find a smith/machinist to remove that damn screw. I’ve mashed the screw enough. I don’t think kroil is going to help 😂
View attachment 427460
Ouch
Heat the screw with a soldering iron a few times
Get a good fitting driver and apply medium tension while giving the driver a good hit witha small hammer to shock the screw while both tightening and loosening.

Or pay a smith to do it (and replace that screw)

Ouch
Heat the screw with a soldering iron a few times
Get a good fitting driver and apply medium tension while giving the driver a good hit witha small hammer to shock the screw while both tightening and loosening.

Or pay a smith to do it (and replace that screw)
I don’t have a soldering iron but did whack it a few times both trying to tighten and loosen. What a PITA. I wonder if this will need to be drilled out in order to be removed?
Anyone recommend a smith to fix it?

Using a Stanley screwdriver lol. I think this screw is like rusted to shit inside. Every other screw came out with no effort.
Regrind a screwdriver or buy a nice one. Gunsmith isn’t going to do anything you can’t do yourself.
go with what Pastera said and you should be fine.
Did you try loosening or tightening the screw on the front of the lower tang? I’m wondering if something is binding, seems weird all of the other screws were easy enough and this one is spot welded in.
Either way awesome rifle. You’re going to love it and love loading for it.
Get some 000 buck and size it down to .310” loaded over a pinch of fast burning pistol powder. So much fun.

Using a Stanley screwdriver lol. I think this screw is like rusted to shit inside. Every other screw came out with no effort. Put all my body weight into pressing down while turning it. F***
You need good, hollow ground screw drivers if you're going to be working on firearms. Get one that fits the screw head and tap it into the mangled slot then apply torque.

I don’t have a soldering iron but did whack it a few times both trying to tighten and loosen. What a PITA. I wonder if this will need to be drilled out in order to be removed?
Anyone recommend a smith to fix it?
Gun in a solid vise? You need a solid base and to give the screw sharp whacks. Everything must be solid to transmit the shock down the threads and to make sure the driver doesn't jump and scratch.

Soldering iron heats the screw and breaks up whatever is jamming the theeads
Another trick that works pretty well is to heat up the screw, melt wax around the head and let it cool - rinse and repeat several times.
Each time you heat it the wax migrates a little further. But I've only used this on things that I could get real hot so I don't know if it works on receiver screws.

Use a Chapman head screwdriver and not a standard flathead.

Their non-tapered shape is better suited.
Slotted_Screwdriver_Diagram_2048x2048.jpg

Back
Top Bottom