• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on lever action rifles

If one were looking at older carbines (not new production) for more collector value, where is a good place to start?

A few weeks ago I was at Kittery Trading Posting in Kittery, ME and they had a large inventory of lever action rifles new and used. I don't think they are known for the best prices around but they had the goods.

Howell's in Gray, ME also has some nice old collectible lever guns - behind the counter. They are right off exit 63 Maine Tpk.

Last edited:
If one were looking at older carbines (not new production) for more collector value, where is a good place to start?

I picked up 3 of the 4 lever guns I own on gunbroker. A 1920s savage 99 takedown, a Ted Williams, and a trapper 94. No issues what so ever. My savage 99 feather wieght (1950s) I scored at a local gunshop.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a friends whose dad bought a Model 94 before he left for Korea and never shot it. We took it out last year and had a blast but maybe shot two boxes through it. I'm hoping for something at least 50 years old that can still be reasonably obtained, is fun to shoot, and has some level of collectability.

I picked up 3 of the 4 lever guns I own on gunbroker. A 1920s savage 99 takedown, a Ted Williams, and a trapper 94. No issues what so ever. My savage 99 feather wieght (1950s) I scored at a local gunshop.

My grandfather has an old (I'd imagine 50s maybe 60s) Marlin 336 30-30. He showed it to me a couple years ago but the action was severely gritty and hard to cycle. Probably because he's had it in the attic untouched for 30+ years. He only used it a handful of times over the years for deer hunting. His main deer rifle is a Savage 99 in 300 savage that he's had forever. My dad uses the same one for deer also. Great rifles.

My grandfather has an old (I'd imagine 50s maybe 60s) Marlin 336 30-30. He showed it to me a couple years ago but the action was severely gritty and hard to cycle. Probably because he's had it in the attic untouched for 30+ years. He only used it a handful of times over the years for deer hunting. His main deer rifle is a Savage 99 in 300 savage that he's had forever. My dad uses the same one for deer also. Great rifles.
That's great. Hopefully it stays in the family for years to come. I've had a bunch of different levers over the years and if I could only have one it would be a savage.

Why the Savage?

I won't do them justice. But, The history. The many different types and calibers. The internal rotary magazine, so much better than tube feed. The little cutout round indicator. They also have a great balance to them. Youll see the older ones worn just bellow the receiver because you want to carry it in your hand all day. I love my takedown for traveling. And my featherweight for the northern woods here. Thier just a classic and interesting rifle imo.

Why no love for Browning BLR?

Removable mags, available in almost every modern centerfire caliber that's out there.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr.html

Au' Contraire, I love the BL's and model 92's.
In fact, after reading BigTimbers post, I was thinking "if I could only have one ?".
I thought about it for awhile and concluded it would be a Browning.

But the question now is which Browning ?

Enjoying this thread on leverguns and I'm right there with ya - Big Fun !! I have a suggestion while you are looking around. Check out the Marlin 1897 Cowboy in .22 LR. They are great guns, cheap to shoot, don't feel toy gun-ish like the Henry .22's do but... are hard to find and are expensive. Unless you know where to look !!
I just listed my Marlin 1897 Cowboy on the NES Classifieds and it's a beaut !! As new in the origional box, was sold to me as unfired but I don't think so but it hasn't been shot much. Not a scratch on the metal or wood, PERFECT !!
and don't just take my word for ithe 1897, here's a video from Hickock45. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxlTDv3hVG8
PM me if you'd like to see it / shoot it.
Saltydog

Some magazine had a comparison of the Marlin, Winchester, and Mossberg, but no Henry. The Mossberg did surprisingly well.

I have a Sako Finnwolf in .243 win. that I used to use chuck hunting in PA 40 years ago. It is very accurate. I still hand load for it.
-mike

My lever guns; Winchester/Miroku 1886 .45/70, Rossi Puma 92 SRC .44 magnum, Winchester 1894 .32 Win Spl.

OP for what you want the Rossis are nice. I think mine was like only $200 when I bought it in Germany in 88. I see they are up to $500-600 now yikes!

Mine is under 5 lbs and has a metal buttplate, i.e, it kicks hard with rifle loads in .44 magnum. She is quite tame though with .44 Spl cartridges. I can cram 11 rounds in the magazine.

Why no love for Browning BLR?

Removable mags, available in almost every modern centerfire caliber that's out there.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr.html
I have a BLR in .243. It is dead on accurate for 2 shots but when the barrel heats up groupings continue to grow and grow. Super pretty gun to look at. Not something I'd want to lug around the brush or in weather. You do get the benefit of 2 decent 200 yard shots if that is a need. For inside 100 yards I'd stick with a 30-30 or 32 winSP.

so i'm trying to decide my next range toy. i know i need a .45 pistol or lever action rifle (3 EDC's already, don't need another at this time)

I like the henry 38/357 carbine. but i saw a rossi .38/357 side loader today (which i would prefer to the tube loading henry)

it's 20% less than the henry. only saw one reference to the rossi's in this thread

comments/opinions on the rossi??? especially from those of you who have shot both

is it ok to quote and reply to my own post??? too late.............

i bought the henry .357 carbine yesterday. hard to find the carbine in stock in most places, was gonna order the blued version, $50.00 cheaper, but found myself close enough to MFS to check their website. they had the polished brass in stock. (at a very good price---thanks MFS)

was heavier than i expected, but a lot of that weight is the octaganol barrel. as someone with not a lot of experience, especially long guns, i had a bit of concern but turns out to be un-founded.

got some time to shoot it today. wow. sweetest shooter i've ever had my hands on. the extra weight in the front made a huge difference over my AR's. i was able to reduce the waver motion on the muzzle greatly.

out of the box i was easily able to ring a 4x4steel @100yds 100%with .357. (and i suck) .38specials not as good

all shots off-hand, no bench rest.

never gonna be talking MOA with this & factory sights, but damn!! it's fun.

i got over the side gate loading/vs tube. and the shiny polished brass which can be seen a mile away. never gonna be a battle rifle, just good fun in a classic look lever action.

View attachment 190225

Last edited:
is it ok to quote and reply to my own post??? too late.............

i bought the henry .357 carbine yesterday. hard to find the carbine in stock in most places, was gonna order the blued version, $50.00 cheaper, but found myself close enough to MFS to check their website. they had the polished brass in stock. (at a very good price---thanks MFS)

was heavier than i expected, but a lot of that weight is the octaganol barrel. as someone with not a lot of experience, especially long guns, i had a bit of concern but turns out to be un-founded.

got some time to shoot it today. wow. sweetest shooter i've ever had my hands on. the extra weight in the front made a huge difference over my AR's. i was able to reduce the waver motion on the muzzle greatly.

out of the box i was easily able to ring a 4x4steel @100yds 100%with .357. (and i suck) .38specials not as good

all shots off-hand, no bench rest.

never gonna be talking MOA with this & factory sights, but damn!! it's fun.

i got over the side gate loading/vs tube. and the shiny polished brass which can be seen a mile away. never gonna be a battle rifle, just good fun in a classic look lever action.

View attachment 190225

Nice! Been on my short list for awhile now

My next purchase is almost certainly going to be a lever gun. Probably in .357, but maybe just a .22LR. Depends on price, availability, or impulse.

In fact, depending on this snow that is suppose to be coming soon, if I end up stuck in my hotel too long I may get bored enough and just buy something. That sometimes happens. It's pretty nice to get back from a work trip and have a firearm waiting for you...[grin]

I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy and my nephew has a Henry Big Boy, both in 45 Long Colt. Both rifles smooth actions, are quite accurate and fun to shoot. You can't go wrong either way. Then there is the obvious choice. The Winchester Repeating Arms 1873. I am not talking about the not-so-cheap Italian knock offs, but the real thing. The current production generation 3 Winchesters. I am saving for one now. Why buy a reproduction when you can get them real thing? That's my thinking. You can literally own the current production of the gun that won the west.

Any way, any of the three would excellent choices start you on a fun new shooting hobby. Good luck! Below is a link to the Winchester website.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873.html

Back
Top Bottom