• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on lever action rifles

The Rossi 92 in .357 was the first gun I bough when I moved to NH - it's my daughter's deer rifle. (I know, need close shots - doesn't really matter, we don't see them anyway)
I keep thinking about getting "my own" in .45 to pair with my Ruger Blackhawk.

I'm not a fan of the loading gate, though. I think I'd prefer a Henry type tube: my sausage fingers have issues with the gate on anything smaller than 20 gauge, and I don't see any instance where I'd need to top off the magazine.

I'm not a fan of the loading gate, though. I think I'd prefer a Henry type tube: my sausage fingers have issues with the gate on anything smaller than 20 gauge, and I don't see any instance where I'd need to top off the magazine.
I have a side-gate Henry and can't remember if I've ever even used the loading gate on it. I think not.

Loading the new R92 is exactly the same experience as with its earlier incarnations. The loading gate is stiff, so there's that, but on the fixable side of things, I probably should cut a few inches off the spring off since it extends 6" or more from the end of the tube with the cap off.

BTW, one of the flaws of my earlier Rossi 92, that one in .357M, is that it leaves the brass bulged in back. This is not unique to Rossi R92's, but it is worse in some lever guns than others. I've seen it noted in Chiappa-made 1892's as well. One guy had three of them and observed it with all three when using HSM bear loads. This one has it, too. After resizing, there is a .483" bulged area that the resizing die can't get to. That's .003" over the nominal case diameter. It turns out to be a small enough deviation that a resized case still plunks into my gauge, but I will probably tend not to use my new Starline brass in this lever gun.
My Miroku Winchester 1892 can do the same. It was very surprising when I ran the powder charge up.

Back
Top Bottom