School me on ID theft

Kicker96FS

NES Member
So I get this letter from the department of SS saying that I made an account on line and filled out the form to start receiving my retirement benefits!

I called them and told that I did no such thing. Apparently there were some red flags on the application so it was on hold. They were fairly helpful after I answered lots of questions to verify I was, well, me.

The local office called me today and asked if I would come down and sign a affidavit stating that I didn't apply for benefits. Did that in a heartbeat.

IO went to the three credit houses and put a lock on my credit info. only problem was one of them said I already had a lock! So now I am scratching my head, a lock on one credit house, not by me, and SS application for retirement sent to my home address. This does not make any sense.

Anyone have any real input as to if this guy is retarded or is something else in play?

Had something similar happen not too long ago. Got a Target cc in the mail. Called them and they said it was used in GA and I owed ~$400. They had used all my info to open the account. DOB, ssn, address all checked out. No idea how they got my ssn, I never give it out unless its absolutely necessary. Iirc, the drivers license number was the only thing bogus. Thought it was weird they used my home address rather than a b.s. one. If I hadnt gotten the card in the mail I would of never known.

Theres a site called identitytheft.gov iirc. Walks you through all the things they recommend doing. File report with the FCC, file complaint with local pd, credit hold, etc. The hold being put on your acct is odd.

I had someone get hold of my debit card a few months ago and didn't know it until a package full of phony baloney pills was delivered to my home with a slightly incorrect address on it. Had been used to sign up for online dating services and other sleazy shit in Florida. Don't know how they got my address and why they screwed up and sent something to me. I think my case was through the Chipotle hacking, but it makes no sense how they got more info than the card number.

I'm wondering if there has been a breach of payroll, license, or other .gov databases we haven't heard about for the personal info to be out there.

I had someone get hold of my debit card a few months ago and didn't know it until a package full of phony baloney pills was delivered to my home with a slightly incorrect address on it. Had been used to sign up for online dating services and other sleazy shit in Florida. Don't know how they got my address and why they screwed up and sent something to me. I think my case was through the Chipotle hacking, but it makes no sense how they got more info than the card number.

I'm wondering if there has been a breach of payroll, license, or other .gov databases we haven't heard about for the personal info to be out there.

Were you EVER in the military or get a .gov background check?

No and no, but I did just buy a car end of last month. I am sure that is where the leak came from. Either the guy is using it or selling it. Hell, it could be the nighttime cleaning crew cause the asshats leave the customer files on their desks! I am going to have a chat with the owner this week.

My wife and I have locked our credit at the 3 reporting houses due to our tax returns being lost in the US Mail coming back to us from the accountant. It will cost 5 bucks to open it if we are applying for any credit and another 5 bucks to lock it back up. No need to be applying for anything right now.
Had LifeLoc a while back. They were kind of a PITA. In your case I would look into them and see if they would cover you this late in the game.

No and no, but I did just buy a car end of last month. I am sure that is where the leak came from. Either the guy is using it or selling it. Hell, it could be the nighttime cleaning crew cause the asshats leave the customer files on their desks! I am going to have a chat with the owner this week.

Had this happen after using CC info when leasing a car from dealer in Dedham. Took them all of about one hour to start making purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you are luckier than those of us who have clearances, that database got hacked a few years back.

I had an idiot that worked in the local SS office that had my address changed to HIS address, changed my email address to his and my phone # changed to his # and had my direct deposit retirement check deposited into his personal bank account. The reason I found out is because I got a letter from SS asking me if those changes were correct. Well I went down to the local SS office and the guy looked up my info and immediately told me that the person that did it worked with him in that office. I swear to GOD that this is a true story, but I can not make a comment about the persons color because he would not tell me his name. The only thing I know is that he was a government employe. Now I am given a new PIN # every year to file my income taxes.

I did not read any of the other Posts here, but I bet none of them can beat mine.

Back
Top Bottom