• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Glass/Optics

IDK I think its good to know your wind adjustments either by math in your head or the calculator your looking through.
adjustments are easy to know presuming you know the wind. it is just, you will never know the wind for sure.

Its fun when you start to get 2 different wind directions and can't see where you're hitting
the longer the distance - more influences you get.
ranges are more difficult than forest or natural open areas, thought, as you deal with artificial environments that create unnatural air fluctuations.

reading the wind from the mirage is the essential skill some do very well, and some do not. i do not get it very well, to be honest. but i never gave it a lot of a an effort.
nor ever had a proper sniper training.

Its fun when you start to get 2 different wind directions and can't see where you're hitting
wind matters most at the shooter's location. start with that, and then try to spot some vegetation/tree leaves 1/3 and 2/3 to the target. no value winds are the hardest because a 10-15deg shift in direction can put your holds on opposite sides of the target. much easier to bracket your wind hold with a full or half value wind.

Oh boy, the wind rabbit hole. Let me save everyone some time.....

Check out the Trijicon Credo, I got the 1x6 and it suits my needs just fine. I think after discounts I spent right around $800 at Optics Planet
I have what the Credo line replaced, the Accupower, great glass. Don't know if they still make them but I Have two Burris XTR's, real nice scope for around a grand.

As for use this is trictly a range toy. I don't hunt so won't be lugging it through the woods but as others have stated the SFAR is a light gun and I would like to keep it that way. My club's longest range is 300 yards so that is what I am looking at distance wise.

Started going down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and this morning and it seems Primary Arms are everywhere which typically sets off alarm bells for me that they are shelling out money to influencers. Then I came back here and saw a few recommedning. Can someone explain why the below wouldn't be a good option?

As for use this is trictly a range toy. I don't hunt so won't be lugging it through the woods but as others have stated the SFAR is a light gun and I would like to keep it that way. My club's longest range is 300 yards so that is what I am looking at distance wise.

Started going down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and this morning and it seems Primary Arms are everywhere which typically sets off alarm bells for me that they are shelling out money to influencers. Then I came back here and saw a few recommedning. Can someone explain why the below wouldn't be a good option?

The thing with those prism scopes is that their set to a fixed magnification. In this case 5X. For another $120 (not including the mount), you can get a varying magnification scope from PA that goes from 1X -10X that has a similar reticle. At 1X you can acquire your target much faster at close range, and 10X can get you further out.

I am quite happy with my cheap vortex crossfire II 6-18. Put about 200 rounds through it, not a single issue. Nice clear glass, a very low price point (sub $200), and a simple reticle with the V-Plex version. I find a lot of BDC options are really messy and distracting, I'd rather have my dope known than rely on hold overs. Plus it looks really good on the M1A. (please ignore awful cheek pad, the one I want is out of stock and this one was cheap on amazon)

View attachment 702504
Its ok scopes and cheek risers dont help the M1a look, lol

I'd be a little wary of using a 5.56 BDC on a .308 rifle. In effect, you're paying for development that you can't use.

Depends on your end use,
Range toy - check
Now define - Target
You shooting at torso size target for Hits on target accuracy- should be fine

Trying to hit the X ring if a bulls eye target?

I'd be a little wary of using a 5.56 BDC on a .308 rifle. In effect, you're paying for development that you can't use.
Eh , dont really matter a few rounds down range and should be able to sort out the holds
My basic problem with BDC reticles is you have to use the same ammo and velocities they calculated that reticle for you.
Lucky enough “drops” can be rough and close enough for hits on say a 12” target.
Best tou can do with any scope is learn your ammo its drops at xyz distances and learn your scopes subtensions.

Last edited:
For 300 yards, a good 6X LPVO should do. For $500, check out Burris, and Primary Arms for decent glass in your budget. PA SLX for SFP is solid glass for the money. The GLX with FFP for a little more. If you can stretch your budget a little, I’d recommend a Trijicon Credo FFP or Accupoint TR25 if you don’t want to deal with batteries and can settle for SFP (which is really all you need within 300 yards).

Lots of these scopes are torso size , hits on target so when they set up these BDC as long as it hits somewhere in that toros 20”x20” area its good
This scope is based on a 19” wide reference , so the elevation lines cover 19” at the posted distance. So you need to know some target references

In the end get to know and learn your optics and its intended use
D1D2506D-09AE-435E-91D7-6DD60D63B166.png

The "spend twice as much on the scope as you do the rifle" advice has been obsolete for about 30 years now.
There no way you need to dish out $3K for a scope on a $1500 rifle. That's just stupid.

I have a few rifles and for the fun range .22lr rifle . I have used a $16 ebay scope which came with red dot and green dot etc. Used it 6 different days in a year. 1000 rounds maybe It has been 100% since I spent the time dialing it in at the range.
So my question is , I have 2 different $150 vortex scopes new in the box.
What is the difference?
I can't figure out why I would need to install the better brand name scopes.
Also... the numbers x30 x40 etc. Isn't a factor I want to compare.
I was under the impression that a cheap scope should be junk and not work or snap off, or maybe vibrate itself out of calibration.
But none of that has happened and now I'm wondering if I should sell those vortex scopes in the boxes.

I have a few rifles and for the fun range .22lr rifle . I have used a $16 ebay scope which came with red dot and green dot etc. Used it 6 different days in a year. 1000 rounds maybe It has been 100% since I spent the time dialing it in at the range.
What is the difference?
I can't figure out why I would need to install the better brand name scopes.
Also... the numbers x30 x40 etc. Isn't a factor I want to compare.
I was under the impression that a cheap scope should be junk and not work or snap off, or maybe vibrate itself out of calibration.
But none of that has happened and now I'm wondering if I should sell those vortex scopes in the boxes.
I agree with you in principle, some of that cheap shit holds up pretty well.

I have a ($6?) Pinty on a gun and it's been great. I don't pretend its not a piece of shit, but it holds zero at the distances I need on my carbine.

When it comes to brand names, sometimes there isn't a lot of improvement. Vortex is some premium chineesium, they do some things very well, but where they fail they fail hard. I don't have their scopes, but I do own a set of their bino's and they're really nice for most use. My hunting rifle has a Lupold scope, it ain't Swarovski but it's nice, light, crisp, and has the small form factor I need for my ultralight setup.

My recommendation- use what makes you happy. If the $20 Burris wal-mart special does it for you, use it, there's no shame in that. 3 guys in my hunting party slay deer every year with sub $20 scopes they've had for almost 2 decades.

I have a Leupold VX-R 1.5-5.5X33 that I had mounted on my AR-10. Several members here fired it at the 200 yard range at an NES shoot in Holbrook .
They were all giddy hitting a gong at 200 yds!! It is no longer made by Leupold but you are more than welcome to try it out if you want.

At one time I would have jumped out and said "Vortex!" with what I have seen lately, it is far more hit and miss and a lot less value. Athlon was of interest for a while... My brother has one of their mid price optics ($700 if I remember?) and its pretty solid for the money.

I had a Schmidt and Bender once - I am ruined forever and kick myself for selling it.

Edit: I have considered on the the "Swampfox" 1-8x as an inexpensive piece of glass that seems to get ok reviews. The name is dumb, but it looks solid.

I have a ($6?) Pinty on a gun and it's been great. I don't pretend its not a piece of shit, but it holds zero at the distances I need on my carbine.

When it comes to brand names, sometimes there isn't a lot of improvement. Vortex is some premium chineesium, they do some things very well, but where they fail they fail hard. I don't have their scopes, but I do own a set of their bino's and they're really nice for most use. My hunting rifle has a Lupold scope, it ain't Swarovski but it's nice, light, crisp, and has the small form factor I need for my ultralight setup.

My recommendation- use what makes you happy. If the $20 Burris wal-mart special does it for you, use it, there's no shame in that. 3 guys in my hunting party slay deer every year with sub $20 scopes they've had for almost 2 decades.
It's not the toughness you pay for, it's the quality of the glass. You don't have to spend 1500 bucks but a $400-500 scope will get you incredible clarity and the extra bit of light you need at first and last light. It can be the difference of food on the table or not.

It took me a while to be willing to spend money on scopes, binos and spotters. The money is worth every penny if you use them.

I had a pinty fail on the first mag

I have used a $16 ebay scope which came with red dot and green dot etc. Used it 6 different days in a year. 1000 rounds maybe It has been 100% since I spent the time dialing it in at the range.
difference is - a $16 chinese clone may work, may not work.

there was a big fun buy some time ago - a pinty red dot. was better than a $16, way better. they still work, i have, like, 3 or 4 of them now. none of them broke or lost zero.

ps. i did not read the end of the thread - fun how many skinflints are here, a true pinty lonely hearts club. :)

there is a decent cheap glass out there. swampfox is decent, arken is decent. not better than a top tier $2k-$3k glass, but, decent.

I like ACOG'S
i say - if and when i will really need acog - i will have it given to me for free by the armorer. (but as i slowly progress into an old fart - it is getting more and more unlikely)
or will pick it up from the dead body :)
a good optic, but, it is a military priced item, not reasonable to pay that with your own money. same with $30K night vision sets.

i say - if and when i will really need acog - i will have it given to me for free by the armorer.
or will pick it up from the dead body :) good optic, but, it is a military priced item, not reasonable to pay that with your own money. same with $30K night vision sets.
Were do you think I got mine?

Back
Top Bottom