• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Glass/Optics

wind matters most at the shooter's location. start with that, and then try to spot some vegetation/tree leaves 1/3 and 2/3 to the target. no value winds are the hardest because a 10-15deg shift in direction can put your holds on opposite sides of the target. much easier to bracket your wind hold with a full or half value wind.
2 questions
Have you ever seen someone hang a short piece of yarn from the muzzle end of the barrel to get an idea of wind direction and velocity? I've seen this, but not sure of it's effectiveness.
What magnification do you like to set your scope at when shooting at 300 yards and out? Too much magnification makes it difficult to keep it on target to spot your misses from my experience.

Wind at your muzzle and wind down range don’t behave the same.
Need to learn by just shooting and watching the landscape for clues.

As far as magnification for 300, I’d be happy with 9-12x because while my eyes aren’t bad I do want to see what I’m aiming at.
I’ve shot 4x to 400 and I’m not a fan given the other optics I have.

2 questions
Have you ever seen someone hang a short piece of yarn from the muzzle end of the barrel to get an idea of wind direction and velocity? I've seen this, but not sure of it's effectiveness.
What magnification do you like to set your scope at when shooting at 300 yards and out? Too much magnification makes it difficult to keep it on target to spot your misses from my experience.
1. No, but I don't doubt someone has done it. Keeping a wind flag attached to your tripod is common.

2. Depends on the scope and the rifle and the application. Bolt action positional shooting, I'm usually around 15-18x. With the more recent 35-36x scopes that are out, you can get away with running 20-22x as the field of view is still decent. You don't NEED a high power optic to hit a reasonable sized target at 300yds, so it really depends on the application.

1. No, but I don't doubt someone has done it. Keeping a wind flag attached to your tripod is common.

2. Depends on the scope and the rifle and the application. Bolt action positional shooting, I'm usually around 15-18x. With the more recent 35-36x scopes that are out, you can get away with running 20-22x as the field of view is still decent. You don't NEED a high power optic to hit a reasonable sized target at 300yds, so it really depends on the application.
My biggest problem is spotting my misses. I think i need to dial down the magnification. This is probably where having quality glass comes into play

Wind at your muzzle and wind down range don’t behave the same.
Need to learn by just shooting and watching the landscape for clues.

As far as magnification for 300, I’d be happy with 9-12x because while my eyes aren’t bad I do want to see what I’m aiming at.
I’ve shot 4x to 400 and I’m not a fan given the other optics I have.
4X at 400 yards is capable of hitting decent sized targets, but spotting misses would be tough

My biggest problem is spotting my misses. I think i need to dial down the magnification. This is probably where having quality glass comes into play
Quality glass certainly helps, but most important are solid fundamentals and good recoil control. Good glass doesn't mean anything if it takes you 2 seconds to reacquire the target after firing a shot.

Check out the Trijicon Credo, I got the 1x6 and it suits my needs just fine. I think after discounts I spent right around $800 at Optics Planet

I have what the Credo line replaced, the Accupower, great glass. Don't know if they still make them but I Have two Burris XTR's, real nice scope for around a grand.

I also have an Accupower 1-8 that I really like, it’s on one of my AR15’s at the moment. Planning to switch it over to my ar10 build when I’m finished and get something a little lighter for the 15 as I really don’t need 8x on that rifle.

Back
Top Bottom