• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Glass/Optics

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
Looking for the scope/optics/glass for dummies version. Maybe a solid Youtube video etc. I've typically only shot iron sights although I have an EO tech red dot on one of my AR platforms.

Budget of around $500 maybe a little more, to go on the Ruger SFAR .308 with intentions of 100-300 yards give or take. I know little to nothing about the subject.

Looking for the scope/optics/glass for dummies version. Maybe a solid Youtube video etc. I've typically only shot iron sights although I have an EO tech red dot on one of my AR platforms.

Budget of around $500 maybe a little more, to go on the Ruger SFAR .308 with intentions of 100-300 yards give or take. I know little to nothing about the subject.
I would (I did) go for the vortex viper II 3-15 for an ar10. Theyre pretty decently made and I trust them for that price point. Could probably get by with a 1-6 for those distances but I liked the option of more magnification on the ar10

I'd go mrad over moa because its simpler to use in my opinion, there's plenty of people who will debate that forever though.

Something like an LPVO in the 1-6 range might be worth looking into. At 300 yards on max magnification, the target will look like it is at 50 yards. Vortex mages the second focal plane strike eagle in 1-6 and 1-8 for your price range and slightly less.

There are better options than vortex these days. Look at swamp fox and Arken.
Ill probably try one of these next time I need a cheap scope. Although im itching for something fancy on the next build

I will say though, that the swamp fox tomahawk line is in my opinion inferior by a good margin to the vortex strike eagle line. Not sure if thats apples to apples. Each company has multiple tiers of quality. I've only compared the tomahawk to the strike eagle.

I've also heard a lot of good about primary arms and will probably consider going that route vs. vortex for my next scope to see what the hype is all about.

It depends on your intended use — 100-300yds is fairly close engagement. You can get away with a 1-4 LPVO at those distances (that what I run on my ARs… Vortex Razor Gen II and a Trijicon for the other.

DMR? Ditto @AJK129

“Battle Rifle”? Ditto @LakeTrout

The Ruger SFAR is a super lightweight .308 IMO… I just shot one for the first time yesterday (thanks @Tinkermatic ) You don’t want to bog it down with a beefy mount and super heavy glass.

I went with the Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44 on my .308 for a DMR application, but my setup is more robust than the SFAR. given the limited magazine capacity, I’d stick to a DMR application and keep 5.56 and my fighting rifle.

Let us know how you make out. Happy Holidays Merry Christmas!

PrimaryArms is having a xmas sale, and tons of optics on sale. I would definitely check it out if you're in the market for a decent LPVO.

I never used ATHLON, but EURO OPTICS has a sale right now. There are a few 1-X optics with illuminated reticles that look very nice.

If anyone can comment on the quality of AHTLON, that would be great. I might pull the trigger on one for an AR10 this week.

If you’re willing to wait and save up more money, your options get a little better.
I really prefer first focal plane optics so I don’t have to think about the variation in reticle measurements at different power levels on LPVOs, but they do get pricey.
What ever you look at, if you’ve never dealt with MOA, get one in MRADs. Easier for beginners than dealing with fractions of MOA.

Yeah... this thread is proof I have alot more research to do.

Appreciate the responses.
Don't forget to research reticles to decide which you want. Good luck.

Mils and MOA are both useful angular units of measurements, but is one better than the other?

The basics on MOA and Mils:​

• Mils and MOA are angular mesurements.
    • MOA is equal to 1.047 inches at 100 yards.
    • Mil is equal to 3.6 inches at 100 yards.
    • MOA is converted to Mils by dividing it by 3.43.
    • Mils is converted to MOA by multiplying by 3.43.
This debate between milliradians (mils) and (minute of angle) MOA is never going to end, but we should at least agree on the facts right out of the gate. Every day we see the uninformed arguments about how one angular unit of measurement is better than the other. The truth of the matter is, one is not better — they’re simply different ways of breaking down the same exact thing.

I never used ATHLON, but EURO OPTICS has a sale right now. There are a few 1-X optics with illuminated reticles that look very nice.

If anyone can comment on the quality of AHTLON, that would be great. I might pull the trigger on one for an AR10 this week.

Athlon glass is great. On par with equivalent Vortex lines. Compare the Athlon Cronus line with the Vortex Razor line.

Don't forget to research reticles to decide which you want. Good luck.

Mils and MOA are both useful angular units of measurements, but is one better than the other?

The basics on MOA and Mils:​

• Mils and MOA are angular mesurements.
    • MOA is equal to 1.047 inches at 100 yards.
    • Mil is equal to 3.6 inches at 100 yards.
    • MOA is converted to Mils by dividing it by 3.43.
    • Mils is converted to MOA by multiplying by 3.43.
This debate between milliradians (mils) and (minute of angle) MOA is never going to end, but we should at least agree on the facts right out of the gate. Every day we see the uninformed arguments about how one angular unit of measurement is better than the other. The truth of the matter is, one is not better — they’re simply different ways of breaking down the same exact thing.
It's basically metric vs imperial.

...or Ford vs Chevy.
...or Mobil 1 vs. Pennzoil.
...or Protestant vs. Catholic.

Which is why the holy wars will continue. ;)

Some rules of thumb I was given years ago and try to follow:
  • Don't go cheap on glass. Plan to spend as much on the scope as you did for the rifle it is going on.
    • "You wouldn't put re treads on a Corvette, would you?" was what my mentor asked me.
  • For practical sized targets you need 1x of magnification for every 100 yards you plan to shoot.
    • Man sized target at 100 yard and a RDS will do.
    • Man sized target at 1000 yards and you'll need at least a 10x scope.

MidwayUSA has 10% off optics, including Vortex (picked up a Viper PST 1-6 for the aforementioned SFAR). Primary Arms rarely puts Vortex on sale, but they’re offering $150 bonus bucks for the same scope. The mount and throw lever were 10% off as well, so I saved over $80 on the setup. It’s an alternative to bonus bucks and I’m not in the market for much anything else.

I went back and forth for far too long on an lpvo for the lightweight .308, or a red dot and magnifier, or a 3x prism. There’s drawbacks to everything, and I’m fond of my Primary Arms slx lpvo, so I figure a Viper is going to be a step up.

Check out C_Does on youtube for some great optics reviews.

For the money, Primary Arms makes a great scope with a life time warranty. I'd take a look at this one. They also make the same scope with a bullet drop compensating reticle, as opposed to this mil reticle, but I personally prefer this one. Right in your price range too.

Thing about scopes is end use and expectations.
$500 can by a “good” scope

Just be careful magnification does not make a scope better.
Especially in the $500 range.

So a few questions
1. Are you looking to shoot tiny groups in the X ring or hits on target type shooting at steel plates 8,10,12”
2. Are you going to be dialing in adjustments or holding over.
$500 scopes may or maynot hold up to constant turret adjusting or track well.
3. Is it going to be a hunting gun where a PBR point blank range zero is all you really need for minute of vital zone out to 300 yards?

optics can go from $100 to $10000, it all depends upon a use case.

specifically for the SFAR the viable options would be:
1) LPVO - those go from older 1-6x to modern 1-10x.
2) most common 4-16x scope
3) longer range 5-25x.

from my shooting of SFAR i did not find it to be sub-MOA accurate, so, a higher magnification optic would be rather pointless on it. i did set mine on 1-6x vortex pst2 and it is just fine with it, as i see that gun more of a tactical than a precision shoot.

a 6x scope central dot is 1MOA in size - it covers over the 1 inch red mark on the target at 100yds distance.
rifle shoots 2-2.5MOA spread, so, you do not need, at 100yds, to have more magnification to be able to aim better.

a 10x and more will only let you see the target better, but will not improve accuracy much. still, 1-10x is what most people buy now, as it is, well, modern.

an lpvo worth looking at right now is a 1-10x primary arms. i did not see it myself, but people say it is good, better than a swampfox arrowhead 1-10x i have.

other decent option right now - while on sale, and cheap, would be a new 4-16x44 arken, while it is still on sale. that fits into your budget and will be very nice in that segment.

other proven option, but in my opinion worse than arken would be a primary arms slx 3-18x. i have it too and like arkens better.

what are you going to shoot with sfar and at what distance? off hand or from the bench? are you going to hunt with it and walk long enough distances with it?
sfar is a lightest ar10-style .308 gun, to put a heavy scope on it is to defy its purpose.

Last edited:
Given your budget and those distances, I would stretch it to 600 and look at the steiner p4xi 1-4 and trijicon credo sfp scopes that have been on sale recently.

I couldn’t get over the steiner being nearly half of it’s current price a few years ago. It’s like they found out they had a great scope for the money and jacked the price. $600 is a gen2 viper pst 1-6. Having just put one on my SFAR about 10 minutes ago, I give it a big thumbs up.
The dot is daylight bright and at low power on a bright sunny day like today it makes the aiming point fine and super visible. Coming from a Primary Arms Slx 1-6, I miss the bdc reticle but the glass clarity, fov, and eye box all have me floored. As the kids say “it’s bussin”

Back
Top Bottom