School me on dehydrators

Did a search but could not find too much information on food dehydrators. Looking to start expanding on food storage that is not reliant on a freezer.

Everything I have read has stated that dehydrated meats do not last more than a year, is this also the case if you hold them frozen? My thoughts are dehydrate a meat (most likely chicken breast due to cost) put in in a mason jar, remove that air with a foodsaver jar attachment and hold frozen. In this situation would the 1 year shelf life start at thaw or what reasonable shelf would this product have? I work in the food industry for a smoker and can get salmon cheap so may also can that.

Any information would be appreciated. Going to get a canner eventually but at 30 bucks this may be a good first step.

I have a Nesco Professional 600W dehydrator and I love it. I use it for drying hot peppers I grow (Ghost, Habenero, Thai, Cayenne, etc.). Havent used it for jerky, but it is capable for that use. Below is a link to it on Amazon (which is where I got it):

Amazon.com: Nesco 600-Watt Food Dehydrator: Home & Kitchen

That was the exact one I was looking at. Living in an apt so dont have a garden but figure when items are one sale stock up and dry them out.

I'm looking at dehydrators right now and the two mentioned in this thread are coincidentally the two I've been looking at. The Nesco seems like a "good enough" solution for me, but my healthy living coach (okay, a friend from work who steers me in the right direction) is trying to convince me to get the Excalibur. Is it really worth the price of admission?

I know, buy once, cry once.

I'm looking at dehydrators right now and the two mentioned in this thread are coincidentally the two I've been looking at. The Nesco seems like a "good enough" solution for me, but my healthy living coach (okay, a friend from work who steers me in the right direction) is trying to convince me to get the Excalibur. Is it really worth the price of admission?

I know, buy once, cry once.

I believe so (Excalibur). and you can buy them refurbished. save some money. I've never had any problems with mine and I have had mine for 4 years.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be doing some more research on the different models and options but I think the Excalibur is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom