• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on chronographs

NES Member
I know absolutely nothing about them except they will tell me the velocity of my bullets.

Are inexpensive ones just as good as the expensive ones? Are there certain features I should look for? Is there a particular style or brand I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
BJ

I think one of the most important features is how well it works in bad lighting conditions. IR sky screens are a big plus IMO. Also ease of set up. I have an Oehler 35 and it's a pain to bring and set up at the range. I'm thinking of an upgrade to a CED.

Why are you looking at one?

B

I think one of the most important features is how well it works in bad lighting conditions. IR sky screens are a big plus IMO. Also ease of set up. I have an Oehler 35 and it's a pain to bring and set up at the range. I'm thinking of an upgrade to a CED.

Why are you looking at one?

B

I am reloading and I want to see the difference in velocities when experimenting with different components.

I have used the CED M2 (mine) and the Beta Chrony (a friend's). Both worked well. The features don't matter much for me, but I'm happy with logging results at the range and calculating my own basic stats. It seems like some models feature more memory, more strings (separate groups of shots), etc. -- basically features that either log data or provide basic summary stats for you.

These things work optically, so having the right amount of light is important. Basic daylight has worked for me. I think someone here even built a light canopy for theirs -- can't recall who.

One of our reloaders can probably identify important features that are missing from my casual use. I only use mine to see how different factory loads perform. My M2 has worked perfectly in direct sun, overcast light, and shade.

Reposting my comment from a similar thread. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...7-shooting-crony-F1-master-crony-any-feedback

I spent the money on a CED M2. Can't say why exactly other than I like the fact that the sensors are individual and can be individually replaced if they...uh...meet with an untimely demise. I also like being able to download the data to a computer. I'm into reloading as much for the engineering of building good loads as bulk ammo creation. (The geek is strong with this one!)

I also got the IR screens, and the thing works like a champ indoors. So I can work comfortably in my pistol range for hours. It even picks up white airsoft pellets and BB's. Had to test everything the name of science!

Not that you're looking to spend a lot more money, but if you're planning on using a chronograph a lot, it doesn't hurt to compare other models.

Last edited:
Whatever you do try to get one that stores data (eg, to download to a PC) or at least prints out a paper tape at the end. Makes it easier/faster to get results.

I have the F1 Chrony and I really wish I had bought one with a printer. It works fine for what it is. Cheaper chronographs suck big time indoors, so if you want to use one indoors, definitely get the CED or similar.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono that has served me well for about 25 years. This is a bare bones model that consists of one unit that is placed down range on a tripod. You have to record the data yourself. The newer version is available for about $100.

I am interested in the CED M2 with all the bells and whistles; nice to be able to download the data to your computer. The price is right (about $200) but I just can't bring myself to replace the 25 year old chrono because still works great.

Comparisons have been made with the various chronos and the surprising fact is that they all seem to work very well, producing results that differ by a very small margin. I must admit that I have heard one complaint from a very experienced shooter/reloader concerning the accuracy of s Chrony. I'm not knocking Chronys, I just felt I should include this data due to the source.

I think someone here even built a light canopy for theirs -- can't recall who.

I'm pretty sure it was Underwhere that built the LED canopy. I also have a CED M2 that I think works well. It can be a little touchy with overcast if you are under baffles. In an open area it's much better.

I really need to send my Chrony beta master back to the factory to be looked at... I've yet to get a reliable reading out of the damn thing under many different lighting conditions.

Are clubs generally okay with setting up chronographs in front of the firing line, either inside or outside?

I'll be shopping for one. and want to know if there'll be limitations on where I can use it

Are clubs generally okay with setting up chronographs in front of the firing line, either inside or outside?

I'll be shopping for one. and want to know if there'll be limitations on where I can use it

If you are going to use your chrono on a range with multiple shooters you will need one with remote controls that you can use from behind the firing line, otherwise you will have to go down range after each string which could be a real PITA. This is the real shortcoming of my Competition Electronics Pro Chrono; it is one sealed unit which make it easy to transport and set up, but you have to go down range to operate the controls.

I have used an original Shooting Chrony and it was GTG. This unit belonged to a friend - he's still using it.

The first CED M2 that I used was crap, but last year I used another as chronoman at a major match and it was GTG and I recommend them.

My late Wife bought me a PACT Professional 8 years ago and I use it a lot.

I have a chrony and have run them back to back with more expensive chronos and they were always right in line with the more expensive one. But the issue that I am running into now is that it will not pick up lead or dark bullets. I get readings in the 400fps instead of 900fps. I've tried replacing the battery, but the results are the same

I have a CED, but without the infrared screens. It works great outdoors, but not indoors. For indoors, you really need to the infrafred screens, which are not inexpensive.

Unless your club has nazis, or its a pay range, then they probably won't care. I try to set it up when the range is cold, obviously, if you want to get it a few feet downrange.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom