• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Browning Hi Powers

I'm interested in looking for a hi power. I know it's a long running pistol. Is there any difference between vintage models and today's production? I know with many guns older is better on quality. I like the mark iii with the black grips myself. I love my 1911, so another jmb design intrigues me. Plus having a bit more mag capacity in the bedside drawer can't hurt either. [grin]

I'm interested in looking for a hi power. I know it's a long running pistol. Is there any difference between vintage models and today's production? I know with many guns older is better on quality. I like the mark iii with the black grips myself. I love my 1911, so another jmb design intrigues me. Plus having a bit more mag capacity in the bedside drawer can't hurt either. [grin]

I have a MkIII (currently for sale in the NES classifieds). http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com has tons of info. http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/What are the differences between the Mk II and Mk III.htm might be a good place to start.

awsome gun. i was lucky and grabbed one from a fellow NESer... i have a Mk 4, made in belgium.

shot it for the first time two weeks ago and i like. [smile]

If it's going to be a shooter then go with a later model external extractor model. The older internal extractor guns are getting harder to find extractors for.. Once you get one just shoot it a lot. Then you can make decisions as to what you want to do to it (if anything). The link in the second post for hipowersandhandguns.com will tell you everything you need to know about the Hi Power. Whatever you do, DO NOT CUT ANY SPRINGS!! That's half assed gun work that can only lead to problems.

DO NOT CUT ANY SPRINGS!! That's half assed gun work that can only lead to problems.
Well, 3000 rounds and no problems.I don't recommend cutting springs in your carry gun and then carrying it without extensive testing, but modifying $7.00 part in a range toy is perfectly acceptable to me.

Well, 3000 rounds and no problems.I don't recommend cutting springs in your carry gun and then carrying it without extensive testing, but modifying $7.00 part in a range toy is perfectly acceptable to me.

You just made my point for me. A new lighter spring is a $7 part. So why not just get the proper spring instead of hacking the existing one? The new spring will be the proper length and give you a smoother and more consistent trigger than a cut spring which will stack on you during the pull.

Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it.

I bought a 1974 BHP new 37 years ago and love it. NEVER had a problem. Completely stock, and I could NEVER get rid of her.....

That gun Griz has is the one you want All Belgium Made, and assembled.The later ones are "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal.

still kick myself for not buying a neighbors like yours Griz,it was like new and in the pouch (those black pouches bring good money on their own)

Back
Top Bottom