School me on binos

Binos.... I thought it was the 107th gender identity. I thought I saw one at BJ's.
It is:
iu

I’d like to keep it under $250

Thats actually the exact Celestron I have. Does all I need, but I would most likely upgrade if/when I get a long range bolt gun.

Thanks, i’ll keep an eye on that website. I read Steiners are awesome for the money.
Sorry, I shouldn't have been lazy and just checked the price of the ones you listed. That said I'm a fan of the Canon IS binos(buy once, cry once), got my mother a pair years ago for her backyard birds and she loves them. Eventually I'm going to pick up a set for myself, more than likely the 10x42L IS just because.

The only time I've used Steiners was in basic, and for a beat to hell set of binos the clarity was impressive.

Best of luck in your search.

Its all about the exit pupil. The larger the better. Around 7mm is good for hunting and bird watching and other outdoor activities. Divide the number of the ocular lens into the objective lens. 7x50 binos are excellent for looking into shadows and low light areas. 7 goes into 50 7 times giving a 7mm exit pupil.
8x42 binos only give a 5mm exit pupil therefore not great for the woods or other low light uses.

Its all about the exit pupil. The larger the better. Around 7mm is good for hunting and bird watching and other outdoor activities. Divide the number of the ocular lens into the objective lens. 7x50 binos are excellent for looking into shadows and low light areas. 7 goes into 50 7 times giving a 7mm exit pupil.
8x42 binos only give a 5mm exit pupil therefore not great for the woods or other low light uses.

Exit pupil isn't that simple. In theory, the most the human eye can take in for light is 7mm. However, not everyone's eyes can receive that much light. Also, not all binoculars have great light transmission rates. A low quality binocular might have the theoretically ideal 7mm, but have shit light transmission. As people age, their eyes get closer to only receiving 4-5mm of light.

Plus, OP is going to be on a mountain summit in daylight, not in the woods at 5:30am.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it bad that was my first thought - and ALWAYS is - too????

Hell, I pronounce it in the proper German as well. I piss off my SIL and his AF friends when I talk of Rammstein as well. "It's Raaaam-stine!" "No. It's RAHMSHTEEEN."

I wonder if Steiner's sports "autofocus" system works after cataract surgery?
I don’t know why not. The term “autofocus” in the case of Steiner’s binoculars is really just fixed focus. They do not have an actual autofocus such as a SLR camera lens does. The key feature is an extreme depth of field, in Steiner’s case 20 yrds to infinity. The Steiners let you adjust the eyepiece of each barrel to each eye to maximize clarity, but the objective lenses are fixed focus with a very big hyper-focal distance. It’s much the same as a mono-focal inter-ocular lens you might get with cataract surgery.

You get what you pay for with glass, which I am sure all of us know. That said, my $275 Nikon Monarch's (10x42) are pretty solid and clear. When compared to my friends similar spec Swaro's at $1800 I really only found the price worth it right at first and last light. I have had them for 13+ years now. 8x is a little low for hunting, out west at least. I have found 10x to be a nice compromise. Not as a replacement for a spotting scope but great for hunting and hiking.

Month old thread I know, but I ended up going with the Vortex Diamondback HD 12x50 and they’ve been awesome so far. I’ve been having a blast doing some bird and animal watching. Took them up to Horn Pond Mountain on the bike and even with my heart beating after some good cardio I was able to hold them relatively steady, and they're not too hard to hold steady under normal conditions either. 12x50’s are a bit large as some have said, but not really noticeable in a backpack. All in all, i’m pretty happy with them.

Has anyone have any experience with the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10 x 32 Binoculars ? They are a little smaller and lighter than the full size 10 x42 binocs.

Last edited:
Has anyone have any experience with the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10 x 32 Binoculars ? They are a little smaller and lighter than the full size 10 x42 binocs.

I just corrected my previous post, had the numbers wrong.

I've never used Leupolds. Just curious as to what you'd be using the binos for. 10x32 is kind of niche, a lot of magnification for a compact binocular.

I picked up a Viciall vs-01 tripod / mono-pod. Also a Mutnt binocular mount.
E94C74B6-1F63-4101-83C8-D50C73EEBCEC.jpeg
3281DA69-BF1D-413A-989C-786BE5DA76BE.jpeg
5FF0AF50-D783-4F74-986C-CBF934B90353.jpeg

Was gonna order the Swarovski binos 8x42….till I found out they were $2,999!! Ended up with Celestron
nature 8x42 for around $200…..which totally rock!

Last edited:
A long time ago, I was driving far away from home and stopped at a scenic overlook. I wished I had my binoculars. Then I realized that they were no good to me at home, sitting on a shelf. Since, I have obtained a pair of small 8x binocs and keep one in each car's glove box. This has proved quite useful over the years. I have several 7x35s, and a 7x50, but the little guys are more practical at times.

I now own 3 sets of the vortex diamondback HD binoculars, 8x42, 12x50 and 15x56. I just started messing around with a new iPhone adapter.
44094043-3EBB-4885-8078-A8E0CD61D556.jpeg
308983EA-21EE-4C84-8101-204AD24D36C8.jpeg
94266426-2409-44EE-BC07-A21710E16738.jpeg
iPhone at 100 feet no zoom.
56B3BEE4-63CC-4AE2-89E4-8DB65C161CC0.jpeg
iPhone through 15 x 56 binos.
3CBB44D8-BE7F-464B-9E52-91027D6F11E2.jpeg
Quality is lacking because of iPhone max digital zoom not the Bino’s. I still need to tweak the set up. First shot.

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread, any binocular aficionados? Front side not pictured says Japan and a serial number. Googling hasn’t produced much. They’re asanuma 10x30. Lighter for reference of size. Reading this thread I thought about binoculars way more in depth than I ever have, and learned a couple things. When I saw this pair headed for the trash I couldn’t let them go into the dumpster!

997D8FDF-7AF8-401B-BEE9-F9C702D78E00.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom