• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on AK's.

LTFY.
pctdetail.765-385.1.jpg

ETA: Add this optional module so that the tingle tells you it's working.

What's that, like, a two-inch sight radius?
zoolander_school.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried to find a kit worth building these days?
I just checked. I have a Bulgy ‘74 packed away ready to be built.

Yeah, but I know it sucks and the whole market/industry have changed. I thought I was late to the scene, but people getting into it now have missed out on a lot.

I just checked. I have a Bulgy ‘74 packed away ready to be built.

Yeah, but I know it sucks and the whole market/industry have changed. I thought I was late to the scene, but people getting into it now have missed out on a lot.
I still have an M92 kit that I ordered back in like 2011 for $500 that I have been putting together over the years, it's going to be a rad blaster once it's done. I hate myself for not buying 5 more of them.

Unfortunately the days of buying kits and building AKs as a way of getting into a good rifle cheap are over.

I'm pretty new to the AK world myself. Someone has an FA Cugir M10-762 listed on armslist. Putting aside that most of Armslist is scams. Does anyone have any experience with this type?

Yep, I had an all-matching (10) 1988 AKS-74 kit built a couple of months ago...
and I'll bet that cost you a pretty penny.

Back at the first AK build party like 10 years ago I was able to put a Bulgarian AK-74 together for $600. It is still my favorite rifle, but the prices today...yeesh.

and I'll bet that cost you a pretty penny.

Back at the first AK build party like 10 years ago I was able to put a Bulgarian AK-74 together for $600. It is still my favorite rifle, but the prices today...yeesh.
It did, but it was still "worth it" in my book. I've come very close over the years to throwing down for the tools to build, but it just hasn't seemed worth it with companies like FB Radom and WBP Poland importing to the US now. Zastava has also upped their game. If my choices were strictly PSA, Riley Defense, or Century builds like the VSKA/RAS/c39v2, then I probably would get in on building.

It did, but it was still "worth it" in my book. I've come very close over the years to throwing down for the tools to build, but it just hasn't seemed worth it with companies like FB Radom and WBP Poland importing to the US now. Zastava has also upped their game. If my choices were strictly PSA, Riley Defense, or Century builds like the VSKA/RAS/c39v2, then I probably would get in on building.
Building is fun but just not really as practical as in times past.

Building is fun but just not really as practical as in times past.
Right, if there was a variant I just had to have or something, then it becomes viable. Like with the AKS-74, I don't think anyone's importing 5.45 rifles as far as I know, and given Rob Ski and others' experience with domestic 74s, I wasn't going to go with a US-made one.

For 47s or 5.56 AKs, I'd still recommend someone go with an import unless they have a specific build/configuration in mind (like a DDR one, and they had a line on a kit, or they really wanted a Tula kit, etc.), rather than "just to have an AK."

The last time I priced it out I think I calculated it would take 4.5 or so builds to balance things out, and I didn't feel like making that investment to get tooled up, especially since the supply of kits is only going to contract.

Yep, I had an all-matching (10) 1988 AKS-74 kit built a couple of months ago...

Right, there are super cool kits still available, but the point was that kits were the cheap way to get into AKs. As you and I both know, the "cheap" homebuild crowd has moved on to ARs over AKs.

The price of a respectable, entry level AK is around $800 to 1500 these days. Building? Maybe $900, 1000 with one of the new Slovak kits?

Back
Top Bottom