• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School Me On AKs

I'm thinking of making the next gun purchase an AK. Have shot a lot of firearms, but have never even picked up an AK.
I'm guessing I should be looking for a 74? These fire the newer ammo? Cheaper shooting?

AK 47 or 74? The 47 shoots 7.62x39 and the 74 is 5.45x39. That's a matter of choice but you'll find more in the AK47's.
There is a ton of info out there on AK's. It's not a bad idea to read up some before you make up your mind. If you know someone that has one you can shoot all the better. Watch out they are addicting! This is a pretty good read. http://www.ak47world.com/rifles.html

The good ones are getting hard to find and have gone through the roof price wise.

I picked a WASR a few weeks back, my first AK, and it's a blast. It's not a swiss watch but a lot of fun. AKman is right on point, I'm going to be looking for another in the coming months but something a little better. Got a couple of 200 round battle packs today from another poster here (thank you r2nailer) $0.25/round.

I can't figure out why "AKman" has a 1911 for an avatar?

Headscratch.gif

CT has that backwards-ass law (but I repeat myself!) about 7.62x39. Too bad. AK-47s are a blast. Cheap. Fun. Reliable. And if you look hard enough, you can find decent ammo at $0.22/round.

You'll be happy with both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39. 7.62 is easier to find, and AKs are more commonly found in that cal. 5.45 AKs are a little harder to find, but the ammo is cheaper, the rifle is easier to control and its a tad lighter.

I have a 47 and a 74, I love them both.

I picked a WASR a few weeks back, my first AK, and it's a blast. It's not a swiss watch but a lot of fun. AKman is right on point, I'm going to be looking for another in the coming months but something a little better. Got a couple of 200 round battle packs today from another poster here (thank you r2nailer) $0.25/round.

I concur! I got mine just after the new year, and I couldn't be happier with it. From what I understand, WASRs are a bit rough around the edges in the AK world, but they're more than sufficient and the price is right (generally about $500).

You should know that the AK47, because of its beefier round, is harder to hold on your POA than, say an AR (much less recoil...better accuracy when rapid firing).

....Better stopping power though.

I can't figure out why "AKman" has a 1911 for an avatar?

Headscratch.gif

I wondered when I'd be brought to task on that. [laugh] AKman is for the state of Alaska, although I do have a large collection of AK's. Why the 1911? I love them too. I'll work on the avitar so there's no confusion. [smile]

Edit: Fixed

Last edited:
I concur! I got mine just after the new year, and I couldn't be happier with it. From what I understand, WASRs are a bit rough around the edges in the AK world, but they're more than sufficient and the price is right (generally about $500).

That's $150 too much for an AK. If you look around you can get WASRs for $350 retail.

Tennessee guns makes some nice AK-74s for very little money as well. But as Dench wrote, it's harder to find ammo for it.

You will not do this to an AR! AK's have been buried in sand, mud, and shot to the point of catching fire! Extremely reliable and incredibly simple. Go Arsenal SGL31-61and don't look back!

Last edited by a moderator:
AKs are built like hammers - they don't wear out and work every time. I have a WASR-10 AK47 clone and it works great and is accurate out to about 250 with the red dot or the new night sights I put on it.

Don't know how much you're looking to spend (or what CT laws are) but you may want to consider a nice pre-89' AK. I have Hungarian and a few Chinese preban (89') AK's and they're great. The Chicoms are built like tanks, IMHO some of the sturdiest AK's built. Also, try looking for a ban compliant milled Arsenal such as the SLR-95 or SLR-101, their quality is excellent as well.

You CAN have an AK-47 in 7.62x39 here if it is FULLY AUTOMATIC...or obviously If you had one before the AWB passed...you cannot have a Semi-Automatic one...

Also..to be clear..this ONLY covers AK's chambered in 7.62x39 & CT's AWB has NO restrictions on Magazine Capacity...No Pre-Ban, Post Ban BS..

Here is CT AWB.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

AK-74's are fun..ammo is really cheap and easy to find online...

Last edited:
Don't know how much you're looking to spend (or what CT laws are) but you may want to consider a nice pre-89' AK. I have Hungarian and a few Chinese preban (89') AK's and they're great. The Chicoms are built like tanks, IMHO some of the sturdiest AK's built. Also, try looking for a ban compliant milled Arsenal such as the SLR-95 or SLR-101, their quality is excellent as well.

Chicoms are way overlooked! Sounds like OP can't have one in CT though unless he can have one of the MAKs or NHM's in 223. They can be had but get out your wallet and hang on.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm
Thanks for the link buketduder. Depressing read.

Oh the attack of the Kalashnikov. I don't want to get into the legal issues of CT's gun laws, but it looks like you could have a sporterized version of an AK in any caliber. What about a Saiga or a Chicom that came with the butthole or Choate stock? These are considered sporterized with no evil features.

Last edited:
That's $150 too much for an AK. If you look around you can get WASRs for $350 retail.

Tennessee guns makes some nice AK-74s for very little money as well. But as Dench wrote, it's harder to find ammo for it.

You're definitely right, but I just wanted to walk into a store, buy it, and go to the range. Patience is a virtue I totally lack, and I pay for it sometimes. [smile]

You're definitely right, but I just wanted to walk into a store, buy it, and go to the range. Patience is a virtue I totally lack, and I pay for it sometimes. [smile]

I've got one for $400 for you then, it'll be a win win. You save $100 and I make a $100.[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom