School me on AK47's

SteelShooter

NES Member
I've decided I want to get an AK47, need some expert NES Feedback on what to look for and what to look out for. Budget up to $2000 with some accessories. I don't want to build something (Still trying to get my SKS working).

There are as many variations out there as there are shooters. I'd just go to your local shop and see what they have.
I've got one in the safe that I purchased from a member here "just to have one." Only fired it a few times but it is nice to know it is there if I need it.

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Sam7r if you want the best new milled for under 1300. If you want a modded Ak from factory look at the Destructive industries and or ask Jron how he likes his. Myself I had and opap and liked it except for the odd stock. I have a sam7 and in the market for the Arsenal SGL21. I'm sure the pros will chime in

Last edited:
It all depends on what you're looking for, that's probably the best place to start. AK47 (7.62x39mm) or AK74 (5.45x39mm)? Do you want surplus look or brand new? Do you want a preban so you can put a bayonet on and have a folding stock in MA? Wood or polymer stocks? etc...

AK's start around $450-500. There's cheap ones from Century/IO/WaffenWerks, to Arsenal, to Rifle Dynamics custom AK's for around $2200. If you've got $2000, you might as well just start looking at Arsenal's SGL's or SAM's (FIME Group). They're pretty much considered the best commercial AK's you can buy and will go for around $1250-1450, depending on the model.

Lots to consider...and then there's what to look for (canted front sight, mag wobble, etc)

Last edited:
With that budget get a vepr then convert it or have some one convert it. You'll have a Russian made gun on a rpk receiver and will be under your budget .
Super veprs are under 1k . There a odd ball since it's a ak inlaid in a wood stock .

If you where interested in building you could save a crap load and spend it on optics and ammo.

My 556 build if I bought every thing would be around 600$

My 47's average around 400$

Last edited:
with the budget you're throwing out, OP just get a shit tier rifle and a pile of ammo. rifle is fine.

otherwise norinco, saiga, vepr, etc.

I have a Norinco MAK90. Had the exact same gun in my early twenties, traded it away to flotter390 for a Luger when I joined NES, then missed my Norinco so I bought another one from another member here several years ago. LOL. AK is addictive. Wish I still had the 75 round drum that went with my first one though. Damn you Fred! [wink]

I have a chance to get a norinco mak90 unfired for $600. I've been holding off because I'm not to sold on the look with out the brake on it. With that said, if it's a good enough deal maybe I will just get both.

I have a chance to get a norinco mak90 unfired for $600. I've been holding off because I'm not to sold on the look with out the brake on it. With that said, if it's a good enough deal maybe I will just get both.

I paid $375 for my first MAK90 (in 2003 though) and 550 for my second one.

It all depends on what you're looking for, that's probably the best place to start. AK47 (7.62x39mm) or AK74 (5.45x39mm)? Do you want surplus look or brand new? Do you want a preban so you can put a bayonet on and have a folding stock in MA? Wood or polymer stocks? etc...

AK's start around $450-500. There's cheap ones from Century/IO/WaffenWerks, to Arsenal, to Rifle Dynamics custom AK's for around $2200. If you've got $2000, you might as well just start looking at Arsenal's SGL's or SAM's (FIME Group). They're pretty much considered the best commercial AK's you can buy and will go for around $1250-1450, depending on the model.

Lots to consider...and then there's what to look for (canted front sight, mag wobble, etc)

I've got the 74's already, definitely want the classic look, wood, would like something with some history on it if possible but not necessary (*This used to belong to Alexander Cherneyko who killed seven russian bears with it.) But also reliable and will bang every time.
Thanks for all the input so far.

I got a few 7.62's and a few 5.45's and prefer the 74, I converted 2 mak 90's and both shoot well, you can get rid of that gay thumbhole stock and 922r it pretty cheap, either way you go best of luck and once you get one you will love it, it's so easy to pull apart and clean and fun to shoot.

But be advised, if you get a cheaper version like the Saiga IZ132 and want someone to do conversion on it then it's now bitch to find anyone willing to... Now you can do it yourself too, if you're handy, but if not and you're thinking "I'll just easily find someone and.." then you'll be surprised at how many people have literally stopped touching them. It's like taboo now.
The administration, the. gov, the state etc has people sh*tting in their shoes. And everyone is sure they're being "watched", "monitored", phones tapped, texts spied on, you name it. I've never seen so many legaly, law abiding citizens, business owners etc afraid of their own government, other than in a third world hellhole.
Have a friend from India, he came over here 20 years ago and told me unbelievable and sometimes brutal horror stories about his own government over there. I pretty much said at the time "Wow, that's friggin awful. I can't imagine living like that!"

That was 20 years ago...

Last edited:
I've got the 74's already, definitely want the classic look, wood, would like something with some history on it if possible but not necessary (*This used to belong to Alexander Cherneyko who killed seven russian bears with it.) But also reliable and will bang every time.
Thanks for all the input so far.

Spend a little more and get a Polytech Legend.

But be advised, if you get a cheaper version like the Saiga IZ132 and want someone to do conversion on it then it's now bitch to find anyone willing to... Now you can do it yourself too, if you're handy, but if not and you're thinking "I'll just easily find someone and.." then you'll be surprised at how many people have literally stopped touching them. It's like taboo now.
The administration, the. gov, the state etc has people sh*tting in their shoes. And everyone is sure they're being "watched", "monitored", phones tapped, texts spied on, you name it. I've never seen so many legaly, law abiding citizens, business owners etc afraid of their own government, other than in a third world hellhole.
Have a friend from India, he came over here 20 years ago and told me unbelievable and sometimes brutal horror stories about his own government over there. I pretty much said at the time "Wow, that's friggin awful. I can't imagine living like that!"

That was 20 years ago...

You smoking crack mang?
No offense but what shops won't convert a saiga or a vepr?
Shops that used to offer converted saigas can't buy them any more. Since there banned for import. Or a retarded monkey would turn away work for omg the government is tracking me internet rumors.

I just helped out at a build party and a lot of the guys used shops to get barrels populated etc.

**** give me a 30rack or good tequila and I'll teach some one how to covert one.

If you can find a pre ban nornico you like do it. im my opinion the best ak I have ever used. I have had wasr, you get what you pay for it goes bang but is not the best put together or nicest one out there. a norincio Mak 90, was sooo smooth build quality was excellent didn't want a sporterized ak. An arsenal it was nice but I personally did not care for the finish of the riffle almost seemed like a spray paint to me. I recently picked up a Defffinitive arms 103U, for those who dont know its the same as the Krebs. Quality is top notch, very smooth and I love the 14" barrel chopped down with the pin/welded 74 style brake. keeps it short in oal and reduces any barrel whip. Finish on it is excellent top notch quality. yes it was a little pricey but the extra money vs an arsenal.

You get what you pay for even with something as robust and durable as an ak. but as we know opinions are like *******s.

That was 20 years ago...

Ummm what?

Shit, this. With that budget you can arm half a dozen peasants.

Shit, those armed peasants aren't going to do a thing for you without a good supply of vodka to make them brave.

...Those DDI milled rifles seam to be getting great reviews. Looks like they are sold out most places right now though.

Arsenal

20150404_160634_zpsnzjarfzu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom