School me on 6.5mm Grendel type 2

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm thinking about building a 6.5mm Grendel upper and am looking for any part advice/first hand experiences with parts. I'm really only seeing "type 2" parts where I'm looking.

I've found a barrel that looks reasonably priced: https://aimsurplus.com/ballistic-advantage-6-5-grendel-18-in-spr-rifle-length-ar-barrel/ as well as a complete BCG from the same seller that's $80: Radical Firearms Type 2 6.5 Grendel/12.7x42 Bolt Carrier Group

I have a side charging upper that I plan to use in this build, so I'll be just using the bolt from the BCG. That is, if I don't hear back from Adam's Arms that I can use one of their piston kits in this build. ;)

I guess the items I'm more interested in hearing about are barrels, BCG's (if they matter that much over the bolt), muzzle devices, and/or anything unique to the caliber above a standard AR15 build. Also, will an 18" barrel be a good choice for the caliber? I do see a 20" option, but I won't be shooting to 1000 yards with this. I might, eventually, shoot at the 600 yard range at PF&G (once the rifle is ready) but I've not done anything past 100 yards so far.

Also, it appears that you can't just use standard AR15 magazines with these rounds. So, I'll be looking to get ones for that. I do see some above 10 rounds available, or at least listed on Brownells.

Once I have the rifle built, of course, I'll be thinking about making a pistol length upper. IF I can locate a short enough barrel (no more than 11"). ;)

I have a complete upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. 18" barrel. Shoots well for my purpose; deer hunting. Under 2" groups at 100yds without trying to customize my handloads yet.

7.62 x 39 AR mags are the same as 6.5 G mags. 6.8 SPC mag is the same also ...maybe?

Too bad Magpul doesn't offer 7.62x39 AR mags... I see mags that are up to 27 rounds... Would be nice if I could get some full 30 or even 40 round mags. Just like I have for my other AR builds.

Too bad Magpul doesn't offer 7.62x39 AR mags... I see mags that are up to 27 rounds... Would be nice if I could get some full 30 or even 40 round mags. Just like I have for my other AR builds.

they likely tried but had problems just like with 6.8 SPC. Polymer mags end up being too thick(when being strong enough for Magpul's high standards) for stuff like 6.8 and 6.5 gren to fit in a standard AR mag well. Steel/Aluminum mags are the only option, unless you get a non standard lower like the LWRC Six8.

There are two bolts for the Grendel, .125 and .136 bolt faces. I forget which is type one or type two but if you use the wrong combination you'll have headspace problems. I'm not 100% sure but I think the .136 is type 2 which is also the original Alexander Arms spec. If memory serves the type one came about because another manufacturer tried to "improve" the round or something along those lines, the main difference is one has a compound throat and the other is parallel. SAAMI only recognizes the original AA spec.

I have three builds, two are 18 inchers with mid gas system and the third is a 20" with rife gas system, 2 barrels are Alexander arms and the third is by precision firearms I believe. longest I have fired mine is at 200yds, I'm not a very good rifle shot but I was getting 1" groups at that distance with the rifle sandbagged and using my reloads. As far as any special requirements, nope same as Any other AR. The mag issue does suck, I have bunch of C-products mags that work fine. Even if you replace the follower on a 5.56 mag you run into issues, the ribs on a Grendel mag are different than 5.56 mag, I've tried it and it just doesn't work out good, you may get a few rounds in the mag but then the mag bows out and you can't get it in the Magwell.

The only issues I really ever had is with the first build I did, kept getting a lot if FTF at first but as I fired more rounds and things started to smooth out that problem went away. The only other issues is with the last build I did, it has a habit of splitting cases which I haven't dived into yet but it could be the Hornandy brass I was using. I changed to Lapua (ouch!) brass last fall but haven't fired any loads I made using that brass yet.

As for muzzle devices, I have the millennium comp on one of the 18s and that's only because it came with it. the other two are plain unthreaded barrels, you really don't need a MD on a Grendel...Unless you want one of course, there is actually a pretty good selection of MDs out there now.

Last edited:
So I dug out some info, the SAAMI spec, and also original AA spec is the .136 bolt face and the compound throat, which is type 2 although SAAMI and Alexander Arms do not recognize the type 2 designation.

lots of info out on the web but its all over the place, a lot of contradicting info from different sites.

.125 is for 7.62x39. .136 gives better extractor and case head support. Verify the barrel and bolt are compatible with each other. I still see things not clearly explained between the both items.

Manufacturers still play games with these making you think they are the only one making the right one.

The BCG's and barrels I'm looking at are both called out as "type 2" so they match. This build is lower on the list than the current one, plus a few other purchases (some for guns and some for other things).

My ex wife kept my gendel. So it’s still living in MA somewhere. I used Sabre defense barrel and bolt. Dang I miss that rifle.

My little brother is trying to convince me to do another. With a Christianson arms barrel. If I did, I’d likely go that route, or a rainier arms barrel.

6.8 mags feed it fine, and they are strangely easier to find.

I just got into a creedmoor bolt gun. So I think that’s all the 6.5 I need for my neck of the woods. Good luck in your project.

Back
Top Bottom