• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on .44 magnum

I have the itch to get a sidearm that could protect me and my fellow hunters from moose and bears while out in the woods.

I got spooked by a Bull moose who looked surprised by me and two friends when we came up behind him on a trail after a morning of sitting in the woods turkey hunting. The three of us came up on him as we came over a 40’ high ridge, on a trail in some thick new growth pine. He was about 20 yards of the trail in ankle deep swamp. We saw his fresh tracks in the mud on the way back to the truck and we kept quiet in the hopes of catching a glimpse of something big. We must have been right behind him as his tracks went right into the swamp where we found him. He looked over his shoulder, all 700 lbs looked uneasy. I had already unloaded my shotgun and one of the other guys did too. The moose took off, away from us but I got to thinking that I was in danger for a minute there. So I’m thinking about adding a large caliber side arm in a chest/shoulder rig in the odd chance I come across a big animal in a mood to tussle.

I have a gp100 in 357 and it’s a fine gun. Im not sure it would be enough to kill a moose or a bear. A relative of mine says that going from 357 to 44 magnum is a huge increase firepower, for lack of a better term.

Do you have an opinion whether to invest in a revolver in .44 magnum and a rig for wilderness carry?

I have a gp100 in 357 and it’s a fine gun.
What else do you own. You may already have the right gear...

nfa-04_moose_target_306x214.jpg

I have the itch to get a sidearm that could protect me and my fellow hunters from moose and bears while out in the woods.

I got spooked by a Bull moose who looked surprised by me and two friends when we came up behind him on a trail after a morning of sitting in the woods turkey hunting. The three of us came up on him as we came over a 40’ high ridge, on a trail in some thick new growth pine. He was about 20 yards of the trail in ankle deep swamp. We saw his fresh tracks in the mud on the way back to the truck and we kept quiet in the hopes of catching a glimpse of something big. We must have been right behind him as his tracks went right into the swamp where we found him. He looked over his shoulder, all 700 lbs looked uneasy. I had already unloaded my shotgun and one of the other guys did too. The moose took off, away from us but I got to thinking that I was in danger for a minute there. So I’m thinking about adding a large caliber side arm in a chest/shoulder rig in the odd chance I come across a big animal in a mood to tussle.

I have a gp100 in 357 and it’s a fine gun. Im not sure it would be enough to kill a moose or a bear. A relative of mine says that going from 357 to 44 magnum is a huge increase firepower, for lack of a better term.

Do you have an opinion whether to invest in a revolver in .44 magnum and a rig for wilderness carry?
Your relative would be correct. Using the "standard" bullet weights for each caliber as an example the 158 grain loadings for a 357 run muzzle energy about 550 to 650 foot pounds. 44 mag loadings using a 240 grain projo run 750 to 950 foot pounds. Use a lighter projo in a 44 mag like a 180 grainer and the velocity increases so much that the muzzle energy can reach 1100 foot pounds.

I bought my first 44 mag revolver about 9 months ago. A 629 with a 4 inch barrel. I'm not a Recoil shy person at all.......and the first time I shot it.....let's just say I was "surprised". It's fun as hell to shoot heavy magnum loads but fast follow up shots will take alot of practice. I'm not saying I wouldn't carry one as a woods gun......I'm saying you may want to try one out first and see how much practice you think you'll need to get 2 or 3 quick shots on a target before you buy one for woods carry for yourself.

Have you every fired a 44 magnum? They aren't "insane" recoil.....but they aren't for everyone.

Last edited:
Had one.
Loaded for it. Was partial to the 265-300 gr range.
Not much you can't do with it.
Not exactly built for speed or rapid fire.
Everybody assumes that the first shot is going to land where you want it to. Can you plant one in the killbox under duress?

10mm bottom fed was mentioned above, might be a better option for a situation like that. 10 rds vs. 6.
Ammo's more readily available and less costly if you have to buy it. 180 gr moves right along at about 1200 fps. Enough to ruin somethings day.

.40 S&W is all you need... [smile]

10 and 44 will drop a moose.
.40 drops entire species

I'm no ballistics expert and no hunter but you have a shotgun and rather than unsling it and use it, you will fumble for a .44mag in a chest rig to reduce, accuracy, speed and energy into a hit target? I may be missing something.

I understand folks hiking and carrying a pistol the trade off being firepower for compactness. even 20ga is going to have more takedown power than .44 mag assuming I am reading the charts below correctly.

Screenshot_20221227_050923_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221227_050915_Gallery.jpg

Like OP I wanted something a little more stout for woods carry. I picked up a 329pd expecting a lot of carry with minimal use. I’m far from recoil sensitive but 25oz is freakin light for that round. I tend to stick with heavier, slower loads.

I'm no ballistics expert and no hunter but you have a shotgun and rather than unsling it and use it, you will fumble for a .44mag in a chest rig to reduce, accuracy, speed and energy into a hit target? I may be missing something.

I understand folks hiking and carrying a pistol the trade off being firepower for compactness. even 20ga is going to have more takedown power than .44 mag assuming I am reading the charts below correctly.

View attachment 702559View attachment 702560
Yeah you mentioned your not a hunter and it shows. He said he was turkey hunting. What do you think their shotguns were loaded with? I'm gonna take a wild ass guess and say birdshot. Your chart shows data for slugs 🙄

A 20 or 12 gauge loaded with birdshot will not have anywhere near the same energy as a 44 mag. And reaching for a chest rigged 44 revolver WILL be faster than ejecting a birdshot shell and loading a slug or buckshot.

It’s a fun and capable caliber with a wide range of loadings. Once you get a revolver a lever action is a logical addition. Depending on your load, a .44 magnum from a rifle will have more energy at 100 yards than a .357 at the muzzle. As others have said, it’s not a slouch cartridge so avoiding the snubby versions may be a wise choice for practical use. Mine is on the other end of the spectrum with a weighted 6” barrel and while the weights are removable, I’m still not sure I’d want to go on an extended hike with it.
Factory ammo isn’t cheap but it’s easy to reload, if you’re into that.

Yeah you mentioned your not a hunter and it shows. He said he was turkey hunting. What do you think their shotguns were loaded with? I'm gonna take a wild ass guess and say birdshot. Your chart shows data for slugs 🙄

A 20 or 12 gauge loaded with birdshot will not have anywhere near the same energy as a 44 mag. And reaching for a chest rigged 44 revolver WILL be faster than ejecting a birdshot shell and loading a slug or buckshot.

See simple answer. No big deal. Missed the turkey part.

It’s a fun and capable caliber with a wide range of loadings. Once you get a revolver a lever action is a logical addition. Depending on your load, a .44 magnum from a rifle will have more energy at 100 yards than a .357 at the muzzle. As others have said, it’s not a slouch cartridge so avoiding the snubby versions may be a wise choice for practical use. Mine is on the other end of the spectrum with a weighted 6” barrel and while the weights are removable, I’m still not sure I’d want to go on an extended hike with it.
Factory ammo isn’t cheap but it’s easy to reload, if you’re into that.
I went the other way. Picked up a ruger 44 carbine and was reloading for it already so picked up a revolver. I agree 44 mag is very easy to reload for and the spectrum of loads is very wide and plenty of load data available.

I'd go with a Glock20 using some hard cast bullets. Controllable and follow up shots will be faster. I have one and a 4 inch 629. I like to shoot the 44 mag. But, as mentioned. Follow up shots are not like the 10mm.

If you'd like to shoot each. PM me and we can get together. I am in Epping. Both are ready to go. Just add ammo.

I have both single and double action revolvers in .44 magnum and a double action in .500. You're welcome to shoot them all. It will take a lot of practice to make a decisive hit on a moving target. What type of shotgun? It might be quicker to forget the handgun and carry a few slugs. That would be more powerful and more accurate. As others have said, avoidance is best.

So after seeing moose tracks, you went looking for the moose. When you found it, it scared you, so now you want a 44 to protect yourself next time you see a moose??
This.....

And....if you were in MA, turkey hunting, in the situation you outlined. Carry of a sidearm is illegal in MA while doing ANY hunting.

Also illegal to carry buckshot or slugs on your person during Turkey season in MA or any other season other than the two weeks of deer season.

This.....

And....if you were in MA, turkey hunting, in the situation you outlined. Carry of a sidearm is illegal in MA while doing ANY hunting.
Also illegal to carry buckshot or slugs on your person during Turkey season in MA or any other season other than the two weeks of deer season.
Okay, so we have determined, once again, that MA sucks.

Things we have established with this thread:

- MA sucks.
- Don’t bring a knife to a moose fight
- The moose was thinking “WTH? These guys track me down, get scared (understandably) and then want to blow me away next time.”

Kidding aside, this happened to me once though I was not stalking the moose. I simply came upon it around a sharp corner on a trail. Thankfully it ran the other way. If it hadn’t, I would have had no chance but to dive behind a tree and await certain death. I’m all for carrying in the woods, but let’s be realistic there is a better chance you’ll get struck by lightning twice on Xmas day. Same for black bear. So now that you have had your moose encounter, you have been immunized and will never have another given the odds.

And the first mistake the guy in the video made was not having a round chambered
First mistake may have been not shutting his engine off and just letting the moose go about his business for a few minutes until it leaves.

People are f***ing retarded. “I’ll rev my engine and approach the giant animal quickly on my motorized machine to scare it away” and then taken by surprise when it stands its ground…ground it had prior to the retarded snomobiliers coming through.

I’m all for ethical hunting, but I kinda wish the moose was allowed to win that fight. f*** that moron.

Back
Top Bottom