School me on 10mm.

I'm very fond of the .45acp and own more firearms in that caliber than any other but I have one 1911 in 10mm. It shoots much flatter than the .45. I'd recommend a long slide to get the most out of it.

I have a HK 45. I wonder if there is a kit for it. After looking into the 10mm it looks like a .45 acp 185 grain plus p is close to the same energy as the 10mm. Within 100 fps.

Best part about 45 Super is no kit needed, just a heavier recoil spring if you plan to shoot more than a couple mags. (note - HK doesn't approve of it in any of their guns of course) Underwood/Buffalo Bore have some loads worth looking at.

I am a big 10mm fan as well. My two cents.

Best: Sig P220 Legion - Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable.

Good: Springfield Tac or Dan Wesson Bruin 1911 based 10mm

Ok: Glock 20 - 13 rounds is nice

Pass: Glock 29

Glock 20 is 15 rounds not 13, and is 17 with the +2 extender bases.

I have a HK 45. I wonder if there is a kit for it. After looking into the 10mm it looks like a .45 acp 185 grain plus p is close to the same energy as the 10mm. Within 100 fps.

Well compared to Underwood 180 grain 10mm, and the Buffalo Bore 45 185 grain +p, your looking at 150 fps higher and about 130ish ftlbs higher on the 10mm, that's nothing to sneeze at. Will the Bear drop any faster?, who knows. But you will have a few more rounds in the mag if you went Glock 20.

Well compared to Underwood 180 grain 10mm, and the Buffalo Bore 45 185 grain +p, your looking at 150 fps higher and about 130ish ftlbs higher on the 10mm, that's nothing to sneeze at. Will the Bear drop any faster?, who knows. But you will have a few more rounds in the mag if you went Glock 20.
I have a Glock 21 also.

Love my Glock 20. Bought two boxes of magtech ammo, and promptly opted to handload instead. Felt like shooting .40. But some warmer 180 grain Hornady xtp’s with accurate 9 sure woke it up. My barrel has a more supported chamber than a factory Glock barrel, and is 3/4” longer.

54FFB455-5B12-4958-B3CF-94563405A3B2.jpeg F8CC168E-7972-4DB6-8C24-EC011FB39634.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume black bears. I deal with them on my property by either ignoring them or shooing them away if they are causing trouble. Same technique I use to get squirrels off my deck furniture works with bears, though the bears are slower. Sig 220 on the hip but I doubt I’ll ever need it for bears.

But...

Get a 10 because they are awesome.

...Bought two boxes of magtech ammo, and promptly opted to handload instead. Felt like shooting .40. But some warmer 180 grain Hornady xtp’s with accurate 9 sure woke it up. My barrel has a more supported chamber than a factory Glock barrel, and is 3/4” longer.

Have you chronied any of those loads? The Magtech 10A claims 1230 fps, but who knows what barrel length was used. That seems to be on par with the hottest 180g published loads. Since I no longer have a working chronograph, I'd be curious to know, too.

Pic is the Berry's 180g Hybrid HP. Don't quote me, I think it was over 9.4g HS-6...don't recall now.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 10
Have you chronied any of those loads? The Magtech 10A claims 1230 fps, but who knows what barrel length was used. That seems to be on par with the hottest 180g published loads. Since I no longer have a working chronograph, I'd be curious to know, too.

Pic is the Berry's 180g Hybrid HP. Don't quote me, I think it was over 9.4g HS-6...don't recall now.

There is no way that magtech was running 1230. It said so on the box, but it felt like shooting regular .40 S&W out of my pistol. (yes, it's heavy, the slide alone is 18 oz.) but it just didn't feel that fast or that much energy was being developed.
I will crono that load pictured this weekend. The 14.3 grains of accurate 9 is under max load in my digital hornady 10th edition. The kindle edition claims that is 1200 FPS, and max is 14.9 grain for 1250 FPS out of a colt delta elite 5" barrel. But the print edition of the same book lists 14.2 at 1200 FPS as the max load. So I'm waiting for email replies from Hornady to find out what the heck is going on. I will let you folks know how it runs. I could go hotter, as I'm not seeing pressure signs yet. It's just snappy and accurate so far. I'm sure at some point I'll work my way up to a nuclear load EC would be proud of. (got some 200 grain projo's headed my way soon.)

Last edited:
mine must have forgotten to break
So far

I assume black bears. I deal with them on my property by either ignoring them or shooing them away if they are causing trouble. Same technique I use to get squirrels off my deck furniture works with bears, though the bears are slower. Sig 220 on the hip but I doubt I’ll ever need it for bears.

But...

Get a 10 because they are awesome.

As the bears get more overcrowded and pushed into towns, more dependent on food from human sources . . . shooing them will work less and less. As more idiots start feeding them, even bouncing a rock off a bear won't chase it away.

For bears, I'll keep my .44 Mag on my belt thanks (until I buy a .460)

But yes, buy a 10mm because they are fun. Carry a .44, .454, or .460 for bear.
Carry a 9mm for defense, and for most of your practice. Lots and lots of practice. 9mm is the least expensive center fire ammo, so have at it

I am a big 10mm fan as well. My two cents.

Best: Sig P220 Legion - Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable.

Good: Springfield Tac or Dan Wesson Bruin 1911 based 10mm

Ok: Glock 20 - 13 rounds is nice

Pass: Glock 29

Glock 20- 15 rounds... just sayin

Crono said the warm loads were 1380 FPS.

I carry a G29 with a KKM barrel and some hard cast loads when hiking, it is not bad at all to shoot. I also have a mint Gen 2 G20. Would love to pick up a G40. 10mm is just fun if you're an auto guy. I can't shoot revolvers for shit, just don't practice with them enough, but I can easily go from carry gun to G29 and be good to go with it.

Those are bringing $5k at auction now. Granted, that one did have a complete .45 upper with it.
I saw one go for $2,800 a few weeks ago.

I'd love to have one, but not at that price. I've been looking into 10mm for a little while now, and am leaning towards a Delta Elite.

I saw one go for $2,800 a few weeks ago.

I'd love to have one, but not at that price. I've been looking into 10mm for a little while now, and am leaning towards a Delta Elite.

The Delta Elite is pretty cool. Mine’s a safe queen, but I love it just the same.

E1C5B419-1C1A-4761-A512-04D0414E2007.jpeg

How has the Ruger SR 1911 in 10mm performed? Anyone shooting one of these?
You also have the 10mm GP100, Redhawk and S&W M610 option.
yes great gun that will not break the bank; put 300 rds through it so far with no problems, just replace the crappy rubber grips with nice wood or g10

Back
Top Bottom