School me on 10mm.

roccoracer

NES Member
I have put some thought into buying a 10mm auto. I am normally a .45 acp guy but want something with more juice for the woods. I have had several run ins with bear in my back yard and although I know that one of my many .45's would be fine, I want more. I recently sold my Ruger sp101 .357 mag because It was too small feeling in my hand and I could not shoot it well.
I am partial to Heckler and Koch products but they do not sell a 10mm.
What do you suggest I look at for a 10mm? Size does not matter I will open carry it.
Before you say it I dont want to sling a rifle over my back in my yard or hiking.
Thank you for your help.

I have put some thought into buying a 10mm auto. I am normally a .45 acp guy but want something with more juice for the woods. I have had several run ins with bear in my back yard and although I know that one of my many .45's would be fine, I want more. I recently sold my Ruger sp101 .357 mag because It was too small feeling in my hand and I could not shoot it well.
What do you suggest I look at for a 10mm? Size does not matter I will open carry it.
Before you say it I dont want to sling a rifle over my back in my yard or hiking.
Thank you for your help.

I am a big 10mm fan as well. My two cents.

Best: Sig P220 Legion - Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable.

Good: Springfield Tac or Dan Wesson Bruin 1911 based 10mm

Ok: Glock 20 - 13 rounds is nice

Pass: Glock 29

as much as I enjoy 10mm, the cartridge is over-regarded in terms of power. it's a 180gr projectile going 1250-1300 ft/s. something around 600-700 ft-lbs. don't get me wrong that's impressive from an autoloader but it's nowhere near revolver cartridges like 44 mag. platforms for 10mm that I favor would be the G20/G40 or the Sig P220 in 10mm. the 1911 is an excellent platform for the the 10mm. i dig the springfield armory 10mm or many of the other 10mm 1911's (eg Dan Wesson). however my one experience with 10mm in 1911 was a problem child, interference between rounds in the magazine and the slide stop causing pre-mature slide lock. it's a common issue. mags are picky too. tripp research ones are the finest for 10mm. the others suck.

finding full power 10mm is not easy. the sig elite ammo is solidly loaded although i'd still opt for underwood or some gucci ammo. this will be pricy. on the contrary 44 mag can be purchased at wallmart. 240gr soft points. will put a hurt on anything. keep weight in mind too. when the gun starts pushing 35 or 40 oz your'e in revolver territory. so the G20/G40 gets the weight part of the equation correct. the sig P220 is heavy (steel frame). my Sig P220 10mm SAO is 40 oz. my 629 5inch is 44 oz. so 8 rounds of 10mm vs 6 rds of 44 mag? easy choice.

all this being said if i were looking for power it would be a 44 magnum, either a model 69 4.25" barrel or model 629 with 4-6" barrel. readily available ammo includes stupid fast 180gr or standard 240gr at 1300 ish. there are 300 gr projectiles too. major versatility. also single action trigger allows hits at 50+ yards. that would far more difficult with a glock trigger. the S&W 629's are easy to shoot. and if needed can always have them magna-ported.

Last edited:
Clipped

all this being said if i were looking for power it would be a 44 magnum, either a model 69 4.25" barrel or model 629 with 4-6" barrel. readily available ammo includes stupid fast 180gr or standard 240gr at 1300 ish. there are 300 gr projectiles too. major versatility. also single action trigger allows hits at 50+ yards. that would far more difficult with a glock trigger. the S&W 629's are easy to shoot. and if needed can always have them magna-ported.

I'm a big fan of 44Mag and you make a solid argument for the cartridge. It is absolutely a benefit to be able to buy it at every gas station. To get 1300ish FPS performance on the reg from the 629 its only happening out of the 6.5 or 8.3 inch barrel, that's a big gun. On the flip side you can buy off the shelf ammo from CorBon and Buffalo Bore that will hit 1400fps out of a 5 inch barrel. Speed kills.

i've played around with the underwood 44 mag loadings in a 629 although for such nuclear 44 mag loads i would rather just opt for a 454 or 460 which were built to handle crazy high pressures. word on the street is that the N frame's upper limit is standard pressure 44 mag. probably a reason why S&W never chambered a 5 shot 454 or 460 in the N frame. my redhawk can allegedly handle the nuclear 44 mag loads but I just hate shooting the redhawk compared to a 629. unfortunately my experience going above 44 mag is that it's no longer pleasant to shoot. the 460 and 500 S&W magnums are brutal.

IMO the only reason for a 10mm revolver is if one is heavily invested in 10mm, reloading the cartridge and they want a revolver. otherwise fairly pointless.

I bought a 10mm as more of a collector’s item since I’m into Colts anyway. It feels as solid as my Competition Stainless .45ACP and Gold Cup Elite. If you find a blued Delta Elite, buy it and send it to me.

Attachments

• 0AFB5312-F29F-488F-B9A9-7B616B508596.jpeg
    0AFB5312-F29F-488F-B9A9-7B616B508596.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 371F7580-EC0D-4D04-B157-80CD5F264A65.jpeg
    371F7580-EC0D-4D04-B157-80CD5F264A65.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
How has the Ruger SR 1911 in 10mm performed? Anyone shooting one of these?
You also have the 10mm GP100, Redhawk and S&W M610 option.

I don't really understand the whole 10mm revolver thing. If you are going to a revolver anyways, why not shoot a revolver specific cartridge? 10mm is rad because it is a stout auto loading cartridge that I can get 15+ round mags for, if I were to take that away from it, I would probably just go for a 44mag.

as much as I enjoy 10mm, the cartridge is over-regarded in term

s of power. it's a 180gr projectile going 1250-1300 ft/s. something around 600-700 ft-lbs. don't get me wrong that's impressive from an autoloader but it's nowhere near revolver cartridges like 44 mag.

IMO carrying something like a G20, G40, or G29 vs carrying any modest size 44 mag wheelgun are two wholly separate universes. 10mm is sort if a big deal because its
the largest auto caliber that doesn't involve some weird failure prone handgun that nobody carries.

drop in barrel for 1911 in 400 corbon. no other parts necessary since its 45acp-based, not even the extractor needs changing.

ETA link: Swenson Semi Drop-In Barrel 1911 400 Cor-Bon 1 16 Twist 5 Government

Yes, the OP should install that in his gun so he can never shoot it ever again. (this is what happens with these wildcats).

-Mike

IMO carrying something like a G20, G40, or G29 vs carrying any modest size 44 mag wheelgun are two wholly separate universes. 10mm is sort if a big deal because its
the largest auto caliber that doesn't involve some weird failure prone handgun that nobody carries.

Yes, the OP should install that in his gun so he can never shoot it ever again. (this is what happens with these wildcats).

-Mike

I said pass on the G29 because it's not fun to shoot. If you are just waiting around for the annual or semi-annual bear attack I would add it to my list.

Very happy with the G20 I picked up recently and it won’t break the bank either which will give you some more cash for ammo. I’m not an expert by any stretch with 10mm but I’m happy with my choice.

1006. I like it.

i-CDbhLbt-L.jpg

I am a big 10mm fan as well. My two cents.

Best: Sig P220 Legion - Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable.

Good: Springfield Tac or Dan Wesson Bruin 1911 based 10mm

Ok: Glock 20 - 13 rounds is nice

Pass: Glock 29

I never had the dw or springfield

But I had a delta elite and several 10mm 1911s

The sig is by far the best shooting

Id say followed by the 20

Then the 1911s

And if you hate your hands the 29

If you're a fan of HK products consider 45 Super in a USP 45.

Thank you for your help.

10mm is much louder than 45, so keep that in mind if you shoot it without hearing protection.

I have a G40 MOS, great 10mm, though if you reload, you'll need to change the barrel to non glock. The +2 extensions work, so 17rd of 10mm should stop the threat. The large slide really takes the recoil, can easily dump a mag of hot 1300fps 180gr on target.

This was my semi auto hand Cannon until I started shooting Rowland 460.

Back
Top Bottom