• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me: 1911s

It's hard to beat STI for a range 1911. The Spartan V is cheaper than I expected.

SpartanV_1a.jpg
drool.gif

STI spartan will have everything you want at around $700.
Or the STI trojan at $1250 will have better frame, slide and barrel. And is probably the best deal going on 1911s now
DAWSON CRP STI TROJAN 45 5" Competition Ready Pistol Right Out Of The Box! Detail Page.

Are there local dealers for these, or is it an order online send to ffl kind of deal? Because that is friggen everything I'm looking for right out of the box.....

except for no ambi safety, which isn't really that big of a deal breaker

Last edited:
How am I a troll? Because I have a different opinion than you? For a forum that has so many "Libertarians", you guys have a lot of thought police.

It's not so much that you are a troll but the 1911 bashing is getting old. Half of your post are probably to bash 1911's even though dozens of us have told you that we own totally reliable, very accurate 1911's.

I own Sigs too, and I also have a 226. If you think that your 226 is immune to malfunction you are mistaken.

I love my Sigs too, but again, my 1911's are just as reliable and more accurate, and one of them is a Sig 1911 target stainless. We get it. You don't like 1911's and you are entitled to your opinion even if it is based on limited experience and practical knowledge.

I love my Ruger Government SR1911. It's a no frills 1911, that is right around $700. It is just a plain jane 1911, the way they should be.

No sights have fallen off of mine, and it has been flawless since I purchased it.

Are there local dealers for these, or is it an order online send to ffl kind of deal? Because that is friggen everything I'm looking for right out of the box.....

except for no ambi safety, which isn't really that big of a deal breaker

I don't think there is a dealer in NH
You can buy online from a couple different places. I have dealt with these two and had excellent customer service
shootersconnection.com
Dawsonprecison.com I have the CRP spartan from them...awesome gun for price

Only ordered parts from Brazoscustom.com, but they are very well respected too

stay away from PARA

the RIA is a great entry 1911 and I wish I hadnt sold mine....but then again, I did get a 4506 - it has shitty press but mine was a solid shooter that digested everything I fed it. In short, it was everything my dad romanticized about when he spoke of the 1911 he carried in Hue City and through other hellholes in SouthEast Asia.

Being a stainless fanatic though, if I had the cash, id go for either the SW or Ruger offering. They both can be had for below a grand.

Stay away from para I had one found a crack in the frame returned it to the dealer for full purchase price I also had a colt combat commander that had a crack as well returned it I'm now in love with my remington R1 no problems whatsoever and very accurate.

i don't have a lot of 1911 experience to draw on , only my first trip to mfs last week. rented a ruger 1911 that looked like it hadn't been cleaned for at least 2-3k rounds---powder halfway down the barrel--- 50 rounds of federal---flawless---nice firearm. jmho

Rock Island 1911s are great quality...probably best value 1911 today....ESP considering the ~$400 price tag. Consider the tactical version for a little bit more. That should be a $1000 gun.

BTW their customer service is great. I dropped mine on the tritium rear site and busted the dot. I asked about a replacement site, figuring I'd buy one. They said to send it in and they'd replace it under warranty even though they shouldn't. Saved me about $90.

Last edited:
Sig target is a great low dollar 1911 (750 ish). Ruger is good if you don't mind the potential quality issues, Remington is a good platform to mod (it wasn't the best shooter in stock form IMO). Heard good things about S&W.

Thank you everyone for your constructive input. Everytime I see the Glock 1911 picture, I puke a little in my mouth [rofl]....

I sent Alex (Collectables) an email last night. He had said something to us on Saturday that I want to see if he can do. He said if you don't see what you want here, let me know and I'll get it. So I want to see if he can get to of the RIA Match Full size pistols. While Alex didn't have the Match, he had the Tactical, and that was my BIL's second choice (my first), and reading all the negative on the PARAs, he is going to choice two. So we are going to see if we can get two, maybe get a break, and give Alex our money.....

Thank you everyone for your constructive input. Everytime I see the Glock 1911 picture, I puke a little in my mouth [rofl]....

I sent Alex (Collectables) an email last night. He had said something to us on Saturday that I want to see if he can do. He said if you don't see what you want here, let me know and I'll get it. So I want to see if he can get to of the RIA Match Full size pistols. While Alex didn't have the Match, he had the Tactical, and that was my BIL's second choice (my first), and reading all the negative on the PARAs, he is going to choice two. So we are going to see if we can get two, maybe get a break, and give Alex our money.....

Sounds like a solid plan. Don't discount the Ruger SR1911 if you like the stainless look. Despite the couple of threads recently about loose sights, and corrosion issues, that was not my experience at all with the one that I personally owned. It had quality, fit and finish rivaling any 1911 that I looked at for under the $2k mark. even then, the price becomes more about "brand", and perceived value than actual superior quality inmo. For some reason I'm partial to black 1911s, so my plan is to eventually pick up another Ruger, then Cerakote it in black. The only reason I got rid of the one I had was because I needed it for an equity trade on something I wanted more at the time, but I have regretted parting with it ever since then.

Back
Top Bottom