School me: 1911s

Are they all created equally? Favorites aside, if they are all built to "MILSPEC" wouldn't they all basically be the same?

This is a pretty noobish question. But like most people on this forum, I tend to use the forum as a sounding board. So I'll get right to it.

Over the last week I have fondled, held and shot 1911s. My sister in law, her husband and I are on a mission to buy 1 each. I think we have all narrowed our selections down based on comfort, price point and aesthetics.

Pretty sure my BIL is going to get a Para Elite. I'm really stuck though. I'm trying to go about this process, perhaps in the wrong way.

I don't want to spend $900.
I do want "features" such as skeletonized trigger/hammer, ambi safety, target rear sight, fibre optic front sight & 8+1 capacity.
I want all this and the ability to buy 5 more magazines, trigger job and whatever other gun smithing I want and still be under what my BIL will pay for that Para.

Am I asking too much? Is this do-able? Can I do all that with a Rock Island? Or am I wasting my time? Should I just STFU and buy a Range Officer?

So this pistol will not be a carry piece, but will be for target/bullseye.

So am I as clear as mud? Maybe I'm trying to justify in my head the benefits of buying a "cheap" 1911, I don't know.....

So school me. And yes, I have been to the 1911 site/forum....

There are many S&W 1911's which are reliable and accurate within your price point.

Some may even be listed for sale right here.

Buy a 5 inch s&w for about 800 new
You won't regret it.

This. My first 1911 was a first run model that S&W put out. It's been flawless for me and I used to shoot IPSC with it. Many thousands of rounds and no problems with it at all.

If you're set on a Para, do a lot of research on it. There has been a lot of mixed reviews on their performance and a good number of them have been negative. You can pay a ton of money for high end 1911s, but overall I don't think it's really worth it.

I really like my Ruger SR1911. My Son has a great Rock Island and my SIL has a Springfield Armoury.
They all shoot straight and never malfunction.

I really like my Ruger SR1911. My Son has a great Rock Island and my SIL has a Springfield Armoury.
They all shoot straight and never malfunction.

I loved the SR1911 until all the QC bullshit came up. Sights falling off, rust on stainless, etc etc etc.

IMHO, I'll wait for M1911 and/or Supermoto to post here.

Remington R1 is the best budget 1911 IMO, if you like supporting companies that accept gov handouts [wink]

Oh and stay the hell away from Para. And since you're in NH, stay away from Crapber as well.

Good thread right here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...70655-thinking-getting-my-first-1911-a-2.html

Last edited:
My Para is the only gun I sold and don't miss. Quality and customer service suck, much better out there.

Rock island, STI, Springfield, S&W, remington and Ruger all make fine 1911s that can be pound in Mass with some serious looking and work. They are in the $450 to $800 range new.

5 lines per inch can make $1000 difference

There's a meaning to this line, but I'm having a hard time deciphering it.

Thank you everyone for the input. I will probably (more like definitely) buying from Alex @ Collectables. Guy absolutely got my business yesterday.

Incidentally, I went to an unreal party last night, and there was a Sig gunsmith (works at the factory) there who flat out said he hates everything about 1911s. Including his company's......

All 1911s are essentially the same. You will develop the 1911 owner catch phrase after your first range trip. "Must be bad ammo"

No every time a 1911 thread shows up, you spew your negative crap. You should have a school on how not to shoot a 1911. How is your Sig?
I see a trend here.

How am I a troll? Because I have a different opinion than you? For a forum that has so many "Libertarians", you guys have a lot of thought police.

If he wants a 1911, why come in here shitting up the thread....oh yeah, because you're a troll, that's how you're a troll.

If someone starts a thread about the best Glock to buy, I don't even read it. I have nothing to offer, and don't particularly care, as Glocks aren't my cup of tea.

as to the OP, I really like my SIG Scorpion, and have shot RIA, S&W and Remington 1911's, like them all. It's a 1911, what's not to like. I don't have 1st hand experience, but from the owners of those guns, they have been pleased with performance and reliability.(with all kinds of ammo)

Last edited:
If he wants a 1911, why come in here shitting up the thread....oh yeah, because you're a troll, that's how you're a troll.

If someone starts a thread about the best Glock to buy, I don't even read it. I have nothing to offer, and don't particularly care, as Glocks aren't my cup of tea.
Spot on.

Your price bracket is a little tough to fill given your wanted features plus the additional magazines.

For me personally, I don't care for the external extractors on the S&Ws. This is purely cosmetic for me, as my brother's S&W is a really nice shooter that has been very reliable. I really liked my Springfield Loaded. Though, you'd need to add a fiberoptic front sight and it would use up most of your budget. The Remington R1 seems to be a nice 1911 on the cheaper end, but to add your desired features would put you past $900, especially with additional magazines.

My favorite 8 round 1911 magazines have been the Wilson Combat mags, but they're a little pricey. I think its worth it for their smooth and dependable operation though.

I loved the SR1911 until all the QC bullshit came up. Sights falling off, rust on stainless, etc etc etc.

IMHO, I'll wait for M1911 and/or Supermoto to post here.

Remington R1 is the best budget 1911 IMO, if you like supporting companies that accept gov handouts [wink]

Oh and stay the hell away from Para. And since you're in NH, stay away from Crapber as well.

Good thread right here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...70655-thinking-getting-my-first-1911-a-2.html

That is a great thread, and I believe I read what I needed to.

It's my brother in law that wants the Para, not me.

I saw a couple others that I was interested as well, an Auto Ordinance and a Magnum Research. After doing some digging found they at both made by Kahr arms. Interesting

I'm going to put aside a little more cash I think. If it came down to it right now. I would probably buy the RIA...

This thread has been great, thanks. Even the trolling.....

STI spartan will have everything you want at around $700.
Or the STI trojan at $1250 will have better frame, slide and barrel. And is probably the best deal going on 1911s now
DAWSON CRP STI TROJAN 45 5" Competition Ready Pistol Right Out Of The Box! Detail Page.

It's hard to beat STI for a range 1911. The Spartan V is cheaper than I expected.

SpartanV_1a.jpg

I do want "features" such as skeletonized trigger/hammer, ambi safety, target rear sight, fibre optic front sight & 8+1 capacity.

Are you looking for new or would you consider used? Are you in a rush or can you wait a bit? If you will consider used, you may well find the gun you're looking for at the price point you specified in the classifieds right here on NES. About a year ago I was looking for another 1911, and like you, I had a similar list of features I was looking for. I found one in the classifieds here that exactly matches your description with the exception of the fiber optic front sight. It was a S&W, and the price was $850. A superb gun in every respect. The trigger isn't quite as crisp as the one on my Gold Cup, but it is definitely usable. I have no regrets in that purchase, except that I have to constantly remind my son that it's not "his .45". [wink]

I want all this and the ability to buy 5 more magazines, trigger job and whatever other gun smithing I want and still be under what my BIL will pay for that Para.

If you aren't in a rush, I would concentrate on getting the gun with the features you want and do the other stuff gradually as time/money permit. In the meantime, you'll have a gun you'll like and will enjoy shooting. It will also give you a better feel for what additional gunsmithing you may eventually want done.

Whichever way you go, best wishes. 1911's are fun!

Just another plug for the R1. Mine's been rock-solid through a couple thousand rounds. MUCH better than any other 1911 I've owned at the same price point.

Start trolling the classified ads here... I picked up a used S&W 1911 for ~$650 a few yrs back. It's one of the best shooting guns I own and I saved ~ $300 off of any local gun shop's new price.

Back
Top Bottom