• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School ... locked down two hours after two live 22-caliber bullets found

Those little .22 rounds scare me to death when I see them. I'm completly terrified everytime I see the 3,000 rounds that I have stored.

----------

Locking down the school doesn't sound like a very good idea. If there is a problem nobody can get out, correct?

During the search of lockers, the chief said a Swiss Army knife was found in the locker of the student who found today’s bullet.

Future Darwin winner in the making. Finds the round knowing that he has a knife in his locker and tells the school about the round... [thinking]

During the search of lockers, the chief said a Swiss Army knife was found in the locker of the student who found today’s bullet.

“I believe the school will be taking administrative action against him for having possession of that knife,” the chief said.
Oh horrors. Oh, the inhumanity of it all. A SWISS ARMY KNIFE!!!!!

Let's see... in my pockets right now are a SwissChamp (Swiss Army Knife), Kershaw Leek and a Case Hobo Trapper knife. there's a Super Leatherman Tool on my belt. And the oh-so-dangerous reversible Nortel screwdriver in my shirt pocket.

Good grief, they'd lock me up and throw away the key if I was there!! [rolleyes]

It is a middle school Ross... I think it's silly too, but a school is a school. No weapons period.

What's your point, Derek? I started carrying a 4-blade pocket knife when I was a Cub Scout - call it about age 9 or 10. I never stopped... I carried a pocket knife all through school and into college. This is nothing but the wussification of the US we're seeing here.

It's a friggin' pocket knife!! it's not a hand grenade or a Semtex vest!

NO SHIT ROSS. I TOLD YOU I DONT AGREE WITH IT.... Does that make it right to break the rules? I think I should be able to carry my gun when I pick up my son from 1st grade but I dont BECAUSE THEY HAVE RULES....

OK, 1 - the kid was stupid for having it. No argument.

2 - this is one rule that ought to be TRASHED immediately. It's even more useless than the no-guns rule. What... they're afraid that the kids might sharpen their pencils with a knife instead of a pencil sharpener?

OK, 1 - the kid was stupid for having it. No argument.

2 - this is one rule that ought to be TRASHED immediately. It's even more useless than the no-guns rule. What... they're afraid that the kids might sharpen their pencils with a knife instead of a pencil sharpener?

I couldnt agree with you more. I used to take in my Grandfathers M1 Garand for show and tell when I grew up in MN. If my son tried that now he'd be on the 6 o'clock news...

This is what you get when a union is in charge of something. It gets run in to the ground.... [thinking]

Auburn of all places reacting like this. Everyone and his mother must own a .22 out there. I can understand the cops taking the precaution but to lock it down again after the last time being an accident....they had to know it was some kid just copying what hap[pned earlier for a joke. But if somehting happened and they didn't react they way they did they would be criticized and charges filed against them.......

Anyone know if there is a state law against knives in schools, or is it a local thing?
Most all if not all schools have some type of zero tolerance rule regarding knives and other "weapons".

MGL C269s10
(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, “firearm” shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.
Any officer in charge of an elementary or secondary school, college or university or any faculty member or administrative officer of an elementary or secondary school, college or university failing to report violations of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars.

I've gotten into my share of arguments over what defines a "dangerous weapon" for the prurpose of this section. I say that the definition is contained here (part of 269s10):
(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger, or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun [,] blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

One of my ranking officers told me that this list has nothing to do with 269s10 (j) and under that section a "dangerous weapon can be anything we want it to be." I say he's dead wrong.

I believe (don't have the cite in front of me) that the SJC has ruled that a Swiss Army Knife is NOT a dangerous weapon although it can be used as such.

I guess there was a third one.

Three lockdowns three too many for parents

Three lockdowns three too many for parents

There have now been three emergency lockdowns at Auburn schools within the span of two weeks.
The first incident occurred at the Auburn Middle School Tuesday, Nov. 21, followed by what many considered to be a copycat incident Tuesday, Nov. 28, also at the middle school. In the third and most recent incident last Friday, Dec. 1, the Julia Bancroft Elementary School was locked down.
In each case, .22-calliber bullets were found in the schools, although those found in Julia Bancroft had already been fired, according to Auburn Police Chief Andrew Sluckis.
The two most recent incidents, have spurred scrutiny from parents concerned with their child’s safety. They have also called into question what the school department and local authorities can do to curb the issue.
Tracy Girardin, whose daughter Cynthia attends the middle school, disapproved of the school’s decision to confiscate student cell-phones during the lockdowns.

My comment to school authorities would be something like "Enough already! They're only friggin' .22's! Start worrying if you find some explosives. [rolleyes]"

My comment to school authorities would be something like "Enough already! They're only friggin' .22's! Start worrying if you find some explosives. [rolleyes]"

+1. This is starting to get stupid. Just because some kids are sprinkling
22s around the school doesn't mean that one of them actually HAS a gun, or
an intent to use it, for that matter.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom