School is giving out hockey pucks in case of active shooter

Any excuse for a bad idea.

Give the teacher training and a gun and be done with it. You have succumbed to the societal plan.

Have I?

Do you really think I disagree that a trained, armed teacher is the best plan imaginable? Do you think I haven’t already brought it up to my principal, my superintendent, and my local CoP?

Have you done that, in your town? Because if not, you’ve succumbed too.

8d14ee79-d7a4-4115-80ff-b2397a69f969-2018-1127-rb-me-hockey-pucks013.jpg
Jesus Christ, even the hockey pucks are serialized and registered! Fa king Californians.

Why not give the kids darts, or crossbows, or guns? Unarmed victims in gun free zones is the problem.

Throwing Axes

My wife and I attended a town active shooter discussion a couple of weeks ago. Several officers from surrounding towns were present. I wasn't sure what to expect, maybe a lot of chest beating. The officers were pretty humble and said that on any given day there are not a lot of officers on duty considering the geography they need to cover. Average response time is about three minutes. He said three minutes feels like hours when someone is trying to kill you.

His main point was that you need to assume help isn't coming and take care of yourself. They did say that denying entrance is the best defense if you are able. If he gets in then throw everything that you can get your hands on at him to distract. At that point whether to fight or flee is a personal choice.

Tomahawks would be more effective and easier to throw.

687713E5-0F95-41E2-95D8-7B13C8744D3E.jpeg
The Graham Kill House Rules seem appropriate for that lecture.

As an administrator with some responsibility towards these students and at least a modicum of responsibility for peace and safety on campus, how does one face the parents of these students and with any integrity at all tell them you are issuing hockey pucks for the safety of their children?

This sounds more like a scene from National Lampoons Animal House than reality.

As an administrator with some responsibility towards these students and at least a modicum of responsibility for peace and safety on campus, how does one face the parents of these students and with any integrity at all tell them you are issuing hockey pucks for the safety of their children?

You don’t.

You find another administrator junior to you and tell them to do it.

They post the “policy change” on the school website. Nobody reads those.

You have now successfully passed the buck, and your subordinate has too, so you’ll get a glowing evaluation pointing out how you “supervised the use of appropriate instructional technology to interface with community stakeholders and promote a safer learning environment.” Congratulations. You’re now qualified to be a school principal.

I’ve been in this business awhile. The only problem I have with your post is the “with any integrity at all” part. My experience is that administrators often lack that.

600px-AnimalH_101.jpg

Back
Top Bottom