School is giving out hockey pucks in case of active shooter

A hockey stick might be more useful. Or a lacrosse stick with the real lacrosse balls, not the tennis balls they had us use in gym class.

But all this is easily thwarted with some athletic gear.

You don't need to hand out hockey pucks. What you need is to teach that: when confronted with an attack, counter aggressively with whatever tools you have at your disposal (books, chairs, pens, etc.). How successful do you think a single school shooter would be, in the close confines of a class room, if the would-be victims went on the offensive? It wouldn't matter what the shooter was armed with.

Agree with whoever said this is just gonna enrage the shooter even more. It may indeed serve as a distraction, and could even save lives. I'm no active shooter, but if I was, I think I'd shoot the puck throwers first, and repeatedly.

My wife and I attended a town active shooter discussion a couple of weeks ago. Several officers from surrounding towns were present. I wasn't sure what to expect, maybe a lot of chest beating. The officers were pretty humble and said that on any given day there are not a lot of officers on duty considering the geography they need to cover. Average response time is about three minutes. He said three minutes feels like hours when someone is trying to kill you.

His main point was that you need to assume help isn't coming and take care of yourself. They did say that denying entrance is the best defense if you are able. If he gets in then throw everything that you can get your hands on at him to distract. At that point whether to fight or flee is a personal choice.

"Discenna said he'd heard that tossing items — like billiard balls — at a possible assailant is well received in the law enforcement community"

ROFL. Plus what is a possible assailant? "Officer, I threw a billiard ball at him because I thought he was going to assault me?"

The trick to the puck as a weapon is that speed and kinetic energy must be increased.
I propose adding a thigh-length athletic tube sock to the kit-out, and drilling out holes in the puck to pour lead into...

iu
iu

iu

Last edited:
These ideas always seem to be cooked up by someone that has very little possibility of actually being there at go time. Put me down for don't bring a hockey puck to a gunfight... Rush the shooter? Even in a company of Marines there are a limited amount of true heroes...

Some teachers in the school my daughter goes to have talked about task organizing to take on an assailant. Barricading the door, athletes taking them on at entry, or going out the window if it’s near the ground.

But there’s no program, most of the teachers don’t want to think about it.

I do this.

Have the Science Dept. build potato guns? Oh, wait, guns...

The trick to the puck as a weapon is that speed and kinetic energy must be increased.
I propose adding a thigh-length athletic tube sock to the kit-out, and drilling out holes in the puck to pour lead into...

iu
iu

iu

Totally agree

If you can toss a puck then you can be a lethal weapon.

Agree with whoever said this is just gonna enrage the shooter even more. It may indeed serve as a distraction, and could even save lives. I'm no active shooter, but if I was, I think I'd shoot the puck throwers first, and repeatedly.

Your mindset needs work.

For a kid in a modern American school with a shooter at the door, it’s not “he won’t shoot me if I don’t enrage him.”

It’s more like, “I’m going to die. Would I rather do it meekly or not?”

Your mindset needs work.

For a kid in a modern American school with a shooter at the door, it’s not “he won’t shoot me if I don’t enrage him.”

It’s more like, “I’m going to die. Would I rather do it meekly or not?”

I doubt very much that is their mindset......they await instruction on how to act......like good little automatons.

its a step in the right direction IMO, whether its a hockey puck, a hatchet, or a stick of cotton candy. if I saw someone throwing something at me in my peripheral vision I'm sure itd cause me to flinch for a second. anything is better that laying in a corner waiting to be a victim

Definitely a step in the right direction. They're abandoning the "let's all be victims" mentality and finally acknowledging that fighting back, with weapons, is the better solution. How long until they have that epiphany and realize that these less lethal weapons are having an impact, maybe we should have responsible adults with a lethal option as well.

What happens when they run out of pucks and all they're left with is a (more) pissed off shooter? Never bring a hockey puck to a gunfight.

It's not like the pucks disappear after they hit the prick. There will be plenty bouncing back and/or missing him and going to a kid across the room to take another shot.

I doubt very much that is their mindset......they await instruction on how to act......like good little automatons.

You’d know, of course.

You spend as much time with current students as I do.

Wait. No you don’t. These kids have been doing ALICE drills for years. A lot of them are competitive athletes in prime physical condition. They’re not all eager to huddle in a corner and be mown down like cattle. Any kid in my class who plays football by putting the boot in after a sack, any girl in my class who plays hockey and happily takes her opponents’ heads off with her stick... I’ve got a few in every class, and so does every other high school teacher.

Mindset. Teach them it’s okay to fight back, give them even the slightest means to do so, and they’re people you’d want by your side, even if say 2/3 of the class is cowering in a far corner.

At least those ones will be out of the way.

How about give the pucks back to the athletic department , and make it mandatory for every teacher to have at the minimum a Taser in every classroom and a long arm in the school for the resource officer. When are they going to realize that gun free zones and lightly armed ROs are recipe for tragedy.

The Red Wings have only scored 72 goals in 25 games, so pucks might be scarce.

The teacher’s union is paying $0.94 each. The pucks have the union logo on them.

If you shop around you can buy 100 blank pucks for $0.92 each.

How about give the pucks back to the athletic department , and make it mandatory for every teacher to have at the minimum a Taser in every classroom and a long arm in the school for the resource officer. When are they going to realize that gun free zones and lightly armed ROs are recipe for tragedy.
I'm sure the high-ranking ones realize this already. What makes you think, as a matter of strategy, they want to REDUCE instances of violence at schools?

You’d know, of course.

You spend as much time with current students as I do.

Wait. No you don’t. These kids have been doing ALICE drills for years. A lot of them are competitive athletes in prime physical condition. They’re not all eager to huddle in a corner and be mown down like cattle. Any kid in my class who plays football by putting the boot in after a sack, any girl in my class who plays hockey and happily takes her opponents’ heads off with her stick... I’ve got a few in every class, and so does every other high school teacher.

Mindset. Teach them it’s okay to fight back, give them even the slightest means to do so, and they’re people you’d want by your side, even if say 2/3 of the class is cowering in a far corner.

At least those ones will be out of the way.

Any excuse for a bad idea.

Give the teacher training and a gun and be done with it. You have succumbed to the societal plan.

A hockey stick might be more useful. Or a lacrosse stick with the real lacrosse balls, not the tennis balls they had us use in gym class.

But all this is easily thwarted with some athletic gear.

I was going to say lacrosse balls. Round, easier for even the non athletic to throw, and those things hurt! Not only that, but now you have 20-30 balls bouncing all over the place too, and those suckers sure bounce.

The next step will be to register your hockey puck soon to be followed by your needing a license to purchase and carry one.
As it is, I've been told if I keep a baseball bat in the cab of my truck, I'd better have a ball and glove to go with it. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom