• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Schmidt-Rubin K31 model

Hey everyone, long time no see. I've been collecting Bolt Action Rifles since I got my license. Everything from the Venerable K98 Mauser to the underrated M91/30, and am currently hunting for one of the original Russian Dragoons (good luck right?) Recently, I have gotten my hands on a Swiss K31 straight pull bolt action.

My assessment: Outside of the awesome accuracy that is quite typical of the bolt action family, THIS THING IS A PIECE OF CRAP! I cleaned it, brought it in for a safety inspection, and oiled down the parts (standard of what I do before taking any new rifle shooting.), and then took the gun to the range.

1. It has a bigger kick back then the M44 Mosin Carbine

2. The way the trigger guard is designed hurts my hand. I was icing my hand the rest of the night thanks to that thing.

3. It constantly jams

4. I question the saftey of the straight pull. If it doesn't lock properly, you could be getting a nice surprise of that bolt coming back and hitting you in the face!

So I'll keep this because its a bolt action and belongs in the collection, but will I be firing it again? Probably not.

Thats funny my k31 is wicked accurate, I dont think it has much kick (in my opinion neither does a m44). I have also never had mine jam on me, as far as I know it is perfectly safe I have never heard of the bolt flying back on anyone.

Thats funny my k31 is wicked accurate, I dont think it has much kick (in my opinion neither does a m44). I have also never had mine jam on me, as far as I know it is perfectly safe I have never heard of the bolt flying back on anyone.

Hmm... I don't know, maybe mine is an isolated thing. I know they are accurate, but thats the only thing I like about this rifle.

That IS weird. The first time I brought my M44 to the range and fired it off, it lit up the entire firing line and actually scared the crap out of other shooters at Mansfield F&G. I'm standing there with my hands shaking like, "Holy Sh**!" To date, it has the largest kick, and definitely the biggest bang, out of any of my guns. The thing is a cannon!

Last edited:
Brown Bear 7.62x54R FMJ 174-grain (usually thats the only non-corrosive I can find), yes and yes. I do it monthly whether or not the guns been fired.

You have been using the wrong ammo for the gun!!!!, your mistake could have really hurt you!!!!. make sure next time you get a gun, you get the caliber right!!!!!. The caliber should be right next to the import stamp. I am not trying to be a dick but I don't want to see anybody get hurt.

You have been using the wrong ammo for the gun!!!!, your mistake could have really hurt you!!!!. make sure next time you get a gun, you get the caliber right!!!!!. The caliber should be right next to the import stamp. I am not trying to be a dick but I don't want to see anybody get hurt.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!!! We seem to have a mis-communication here!!! For the Rubin I use 7.5x55mm Swiss, 10 boxes of which came with the gun when I purchased it, not a bad deal.

The russian 7.62x54R I use in the Mosin M44 Carbine. Jeez Louise are you kidding? My uncle would kick my ass if he ever saw me make THAT big a mistake!

Sorry my bad... thought we were still talking about the M44 being a cannon! SORRY BOUT THE KEYBOARD UP THERE!!!

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!!! We seem to have a mis-communication here!!! For the Rubin I use 7.5x55mm Swiss, 10 boxes of which came with the gun when I purchased it, not a bad deal.

The russian 7.62x54R I use in the Mosin M44 Carbine. Jeez Louise are you kidding? My uncle would kick my ass if he ever saw me make THAT big a mistake!

Sorry my bad... SORRY BOUT THE KEYBOARD UP THERE!!!

That was a classic exchange - :)

I have been interested in a K31 for sometime I should have gotten one before they dried up and prices were raised.

That was a classic exchange - :)

I have been interested in a K31 for sometime I should have gotten one before they dried up and prices were raised.

I dunno man, I've tried adjusting and readjusting, but the thing hurt my trigger hand pretty bad.

Ok but to answer the question CORRECTLY: SWISS RUBIN: Wolf 7.5X55 Swiss 174 Grain Spire Point Mfg

Last edited:
Pretty much the same design found in the K31 is set up in the Zfk55 which is regarded as one of the most accurate rifles ever made. It is the holy grail of Swiss rifle collectors.

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/sniper/

96/11, K11, K31, etc. all are great shooting and functioning rifles and for the action to stay the same, you know they stumbled upon something that worked.

Could be the misunderstood fear of the straight pull bolt is whats turning you off. Rumors of Ross rifles being sometimes unsafe is what scares a lot of folks off from shooting straight pull bolt rifles. The Swiss action is the most solid and slickest of all straight pull designs and should function nearly as smooth as a Mauser type action if its in correct working order.

The straight pull bolt is no more likely to come back and hit you in the face than the charging handle on an AR-15. And IIRC, the K31 action is actually a simplifed, strengthened version of the original Schmidt-Rubin design.

I fired my K31 for the first time last month. It's very accurate, more than I really am capable of. The recoil was harder than I expected, but I don't know that I'd say it was M38-M44-91/59 grade. OTOH, I also shot my SMLE No1 MkIII the same day and that was about as accurate and had less recoil.

Neither I nor anyone else who fired the K31 that day had any FTF or FTE. The straight pull does take a bit of getting used to, but is much smoother than any MN I've fired. Every one I've fired or seen fired has a sticky bolt.

The K31 is a pussycat compared w/ an M44. Basically a .308. I have a few. Great rifles, easy on the shoulder, and quick to acquire target. They also rival my Swedes for accuracy.

I fired my K31 for the first time last month. It's very accurate, more than I really am capable of. The recoil was harder than I expected, but I don't know that I'd say it was M38-M44-91/59 grade. OTOH, I also shot my SMLE No1 MkIII the same day and that was about as accurate and had less recoil.

Neither I nor anyone else who fired the K31 that day had any FTF or FTE. The straight pull does take a bit of getting used to, but is much smoother than any MN I've fired. Every one I've fired or seen fired has a sticky bolt.

The only time I've had any issues with ejecting is with resized .284 Winchester brass, but that's because the rim is slightly smaller on the .284. Still extracts perfectly.

That's strange, I haven't had any issues with my K-31. The recoil is quite tame in my opinion, ridiculously accurate, and the bolt/action is like buttah. The trigger pull is a bit long, but it breaks clean and crisp once all the "uptake" or "travel" is pulled up. Definitely one of my favorite rifles.

Back
Top Bottom