• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scary Moment the Other Day, Talk w/ Wife Due

Went into Manchester last week as the wife had an hour long massage scheduled and I wanted to take the little one to the Amoskeag Fishways Education Center before they closed up shop for good. I drop wife off at 3:00 and head to the education center. I show up at 4:04 to pick her up and text that I am outside, no wife. 20 minutes goes by, shoot her another text/call. Still no wife.

I travel for work, so we have "Find My Friends" set up on our phones, so she can know if/when I am coming home on a given night. I pull it up and while the GPS pings me to my exact spot in the lot, it shows her phone in the row of cars behind me somewhere. With the woman in Boston getting taken outside of a club, and the kidnapping in the Mall of NH parking lot a few months back, my mind went right to the worst, and I was ready to walk into the spa to ask if she had left yet and if they saw her get into a car with someone.

At this point, she shot me a text saying she was paying and that the masseuse thought she was scheduled for a 90 minute instead of a 60 minute, so she went over. A huge sigh of relief was followed by a feeling that we need to have a talk about her "self defense" strategy. She has mentioned that she isn't against carrying, but isn't a "gun person" and would want to take a course to become more familiar with handguns, a request I am totally on board with.

We are in the Southwestern part of the state. Sig was at the top of the list, but their pricing is a little cost prohibitive at the moment (5 month old). Defensive Strategies in Goffstown came up, and I like that their ladies intro class includes both classroom and range time.

Thoughts? Who have you used in the past?

Amen. Any training is better than no training.

Years ago I went to Sig school. There was this one gal who hadn't ever held a gun before. She really held things back. The instructors were great, but I think she would have been better served with a few hours of range time first.

Drawstroke needs no range. Done at home. Dry-firing needs no range. Done at home. I think that Fri/Sat, I dry-fired 1,000 times or more and then shot a pile of rounds. Fun stuff.

Well, if you belong to a club, take her there and train her. The danger in that is that it could end up with her being a better shot than you because she won't have any bad habits. Jack.

Amen. Any training is better than no training.

Years ago I went to Sig school. There was this one gal who hadn't ever held a gun before. She really held things back. The instructors were great, but I think she would have been better served with a few hours of range time first.

Drawstroke needs no range. Done at home. Dry-firing needs no range. Done at home. I think that Fri/Sat, I dry-fired 1,000 times or more and then shot a pile of rounds. Fun stuff.

Thanks guys. We have a 25 and 75 yard range in the backyard. I think the issue she has is that she feels uncomfortable taking instruction from me. Guess it's similar to trying to teach your spouse to ski (don't ever do this!).

She has a Ruger SR22 Handgun, and knows the basics of how to use it, but I think getting her into a class without me around would really empower her.

How does your overreaction to her being exactly where she was supposed to be equate to her needing self defense training? I don't see the connection, does she need to defend herself from the masseuse?

Hey JPM.

If you'd had read the post, you would have seen that at just after 4 when I rolled into the parking lot, she wasn't where we had agreed she would be. She was "supposed" to be outside to hop in the car. In reality, she was inside, not answering her phone, and I was looking at a map that showed her phone either in another vehicle, or somewhere in the middle of South Willow... So, I don't see the connection between the original post and your comment...

When you discuss your concerns and thought process with her, do you think she’ll blow it off or take it seriously? Her perception of your fear will drive her seriousness to take action.

I can certainly understand your fear, I know I've been there. i'm glad it was an innocent screw up but if you're like me, you aged a bit in that half hour.

When you discuss your concerns and thought process with her, do you think she’ll blow it off or take it seriously? Her perception of your fear will drive her seriousness to take action.

She was open to the idea and even before this incident had mentioned she would be interested in taking a more proactive approach to her own self defense. She knows it's something that is important, but she wasn't raised around firearms and I feel like she builds them up to be something she needed to be around for years to be competent with. I am hoping to get her in a woman focused class, maybe alongside her sister and one of our friends, to give her the confidence to get out and shoot more often with me out back. Normally when I ask if she wants to go shoot, she's a little wishy washy on it. I guess I need to figure out why she shies away from it.

She should take a lesson from Robert Kraft. He only needs 14 minutes for a massage.

Also, where is she gonna ccw when shes stripped down on the table?

Also, also, cheshire county in Keene has womens training classes.

Last edited:
She should take a lesson from Robert Kraft. He only needs 14 minutes for a massage.

Also, where is she gonna ccw when shes stripped down on the table?

Also, also, cheshire county in Keene has womens training classes.

We live in NH. It’ll be in her purse. I’m far less worried about the masseuse going through her belongings and holding my wife hostage, than someone walking up behind her and shoving her into a car in the lot like what happened a few weeks back.

If she already said she'd be interested, and she understands your concern, I'd hook her up in that women's class.
She'd get to chat with the other girls about why they're there as well.
...and let nature take it....
...and try not to bother her when she goes out to the back yard and does some plinking.
:)

Look for some instructors in your area. Maybe check the instructors thread here on NES or ask at any of the gunshops in your area.

Let someone else train her. Too many issues with actual training in my opinion. She'll take, 'you have to do this' better from someone else and you won't have to deal with the repercussions of said words. I've tried to train my wife on firearms, listen to me, or not.

I tried to teach my wife how to snowboard 20 years ago. Not only was it the worst day I ever spent on a mountain, she still bitches about it at every opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom