SCAR. Why?

I stopped caring about that bullshit years ago. It's pretty liberating. Besides if someone is a total cuck you can use modified FAL mags in a SCAR anyways, iirc.
Good point. I was interested in putting a scar17 together, but after pricing it out with optics and such, it seems like a crazy amount of money. I'm thinking an Ar-10 would be better , or simply keeping my M1As.

I'm not here to bash the SCAR, but I do have questions. What is the attraction? I did a search to find discussions by actual owners - all I got was pages of people trying to sell them. They appear to be:

1. Expensive
2. Fuggly (at least from the bolt, backwards)
3. Of average performance.

What am I missing? Any thoughts from owners? AITA?

I would get one without thinking twice. Most people here the most experience they have with one is watching YouTube videos or parroting information. Maybe they shot one at the range or their butt buddy owns one.

I would get one without thinking twice. Most people here the most experience they have with one is watching YouTube videos or parroting information. Maybe they shot one at the range or their butt buddy owns one.

I would buy a SCAR if the price wasn't stupid $2800 is f***ing stupid for what should be a gun that costs no more than a couple of grand.

I would buy a SCAR if the price wasn't stupid $2800 is f***ing stupid for what should be a gun that costs no more than a couple of grand.

I get it price wise, however look at the prices of mainstream ARs and some of the actually better ones will run you the same. Sometimes even more. It’s definitely not for everyone but it comes with everything you need right out of the box. I mean people are paying highway rape prices for shitty Arsenal AKs lol everywhere not just in here.

I get it price wise, however look at the prices of mainstream ARs and some of the actually better ones will run you the same. Sometimes even more. It’s definitely not for everyone but it comes with everything you need right out of the box.

Lol comparing it to an AR? it's not an AR-anything. And if you really want to go down that road it looks especially bad. On paper the value prop of their guns is f***ing
terrible. $2800, still doesnt have optics on it. not "everything you need" [rofl]

Good on FN for getting the $$$$ though. And anyone who wants to buy it, should. It's not a horrible gun, even if the value prop is shit.

Lol comparing it to an AR? it's not an AR-anything. And if you really want to go down that road it looks especially bad. On paper the value prop of their guns is f***ing
terrible. $2800, still doesnt have optics on it. not "everything you need" [rofl]

Good on FN for getting the $$$$ though. And anyone who wants to buy it, should. It's not a horrible gun, even if the value prop is shit.

Pretty sure you know there are plenty of piston ARs out there 😂 that go that much. By that definition nothing is really a good proposition, manufacturers produce what people and the market demands. People still drop $1k or more on junk Sigs. Point is, you are getting stifled no matter what in today’s market.

OP, if you have any questions about scars DM me. I have used 3 different ones across multiple mil, Leo and some pretty interesting competitions. Also if you want to shoot one bring some ammo 😉

Last edited:
Pretty sure you know there are plenty of piston ARs out there 😂 that go that much. By that definition nothing is really a good proposition, manufacturers produce what people and the market demands. People still drop $1k or more on junk Sigs. Point is, you are getting stifled no matter what in today’s

Yeah but a SCAR always had that shit price. The price is only $2800 because of some gun shop commando faggots drooling. "PBWERWERAEAJOFDOFJEFJDFSAFBBB!!!! SOCOMMM!!!! SPECSHUL FORCES! PFFFFBBTTTTT! GET ME A DIAT COAKE WITH MUH BIG MACS! PEE WEE!"

It's $2800 because they can get 2800 bucks, but dont mean its really worth that.

It's like when the FS2000 used to be a $1300 gun. Then magically overnight, it disappeared. Then they saw people starting to ejac over it and it came back at $1899 or whatever the f*** they sold those things at before it stopped selling. [rofl]

OP, if you have any questions about scars DM me. I have used 3 different ones across multiple mil, Leo and some pretty interesting competitions. Also if you want to shoot one bring some ammo 😉
Thank you, that's very neighborly of you. I appreciate the owners perspective and may be in touch to take you up on that.

Yeah but a SCAR always had that shit price. The price is only $2800 because of some gun shop commando faggots drooling. "PBWERWERAEAJOFDOFJEFJDFSAFBBB!!!! SOCOMMM!!!! SPECSHUL FORCES! PFFFFBBTTTTT! GET ME A DIAT COAKE WITH MUH BIG MACS! PEE WEE!"

It's $2800 because they can get 2800 bucks, but dont mean its really worth that.

It's like when the FS2000 used to be a $1300 gun. Then magically overnight, it disappeared. Then they saw people starting to ejac over it and it came back at $1899 or whatever the f*** they sold those things at before it stopped selling. [rofl]

Again review my comment above about people parroting info that goes both ways. Maybe my price to value prop is skewed because I paid $2100 plus tax. People spent too much time money on YouTube influencers and products that they are paid to push which also drive price and demand.

Again review my comment above about people parroting info that goes both ways. Maybe my price to value prop is skewed because I paid $2100 plus tax. People spent too much time money on YouTube influencers and products that they are paid to push which also drive price and demand.

If you only paid $2100 you either got in early or did well or were at the right place. I've literally never seen them that cheap. Maybe they were years ago.

I've fired the things before, both 308 and 556 versions. They are nice guns. For 2 grand, maybe.

If you only paid $2100 you either got in early or did well or were at the right place. I've literally never seen them that cheap. Maybe they were years ago.

I've fired the things before, both 308 and 556 versions. They are nice guns. For 2 grand, maybe.
And frankly...if you take away all of the issues of scarcity/socom-branding/tacticool influence/Market panic, etc... is there really any basic firearm worth more than $1500-$2000.

I have it on good authority, that even in butt-rapey states, you can build a darn nice AR-10 for sub $1600. Why then, I ask, would anyone pay (I still maybe kinda want one, ‘cuz they’re cool 😎) MORE for an inferior M1A, or an even far more expensive SCAR? Heck, with an AR-10 build you can even go 6.5 Kardashian if you really feel like stretching legs.

And frankly...if you take away all of the issues of scarcity/socom-branding/tacticool influence/Market panic, etc... is there really any basic firearm worth more than $1500-$2000.

Depends on your definition of "worth". There's a market for everything. For example I want a Manhurin 73 revolver some day before i die. It's not a value driven desire. The value prop sucks. I can pick up a 686-5 or two for a fraction of what a 73 costs. But the problem is they're still not MR73s. The thing is with the SCAR, at 2800 bucks it has a lot of competition at that price class. I honestly believe FN could make the street price effectively 3 grand and they'd still sell. I see 2800 bucks and im like "for 3 grand I can put together a stellar AR10 /with glass instead, AND i get to pick the carpet and drapes, too. " it's hard for me to get my brain past that. If I had stupid money I'd probably own two or three scars. I'd still tell someone it was a poor value, unless they had to have it. If you really want something then the price becomes meaningless. I have more respect for the people who can admit. "I could have filled this role for a third of the cost but i wanted X". I get that. Like I have friends who buy a Rolex once in awhile. NONE of them go on an on about how its better; all of them just wanted it. (Although i have one skinflint friend who starts talking value retention blah blah, hell never sell them, though).

I don't rag on anything for its looks, but it is not an attractive rifle.

Col. Whelen said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I agree. Any generic $599 AR is as accurate as a SCAR (or better). For the price of a bare SCAR, you could have a 0.5 MOA rifle, including glass.

For the price of a bare SCAR, you could have a 0.5 MOA rifle, including glass.
That's always been my beef with it, and 2 years ago proved this theory when I built my SPR. I wanted one for a hot minute because I wanted a rifle that folded, I ended up buying a Gen 1 MCX for almost half the price of a new SCAR and it does more of what I want then the SCAR ever would.

Some people just want to be different, can't hate on them for that, until they go blue in the face justifying their purchase. I have a friend that has forgot more about the SCAR then everyone here will ever know about it, he loves it, but he doesn't lose his mind telling people how awesome it is.

In a 5.56 I would much prefer my FS2000

USSOCOM came to a similar conclusion, albeit a different "already have this 5.56 gun", gun. They deemed the SCAR-L redundant to M4 variants, and the commonality of parts to the SCAR-H didn't really matter when operators of the SCAR-H didn't bother with the downgrade in caliber exchange. That's a good part of the reason they discontinued the SCAR-L for service use.

If I were going to dump $4k on a SCAR, I'd want the 7.62 version. Totally moot, as I don't have $4k to drop on a single rifle purchase, but just saying...

USSOCOM came to a similar conclusion, albeit a different "already have this 5.56 gun", gun. They deemed the SCAR-L redundant to M4 variants, and the commonality of parts to the SCAR-H didn't really matter when operators of the SCAR-H didn't bother with the downgrade in caliber exchange. That's a good part of the reason they discontinued the SCAR-L for service use.

If I were going to dump $4k on a SCAR, I'd want the 7.62 version. Totally moot, as I don't have $4k to drop on a single rifle purchase, but just saying...
Yup. The SCAR-L/16 might as well disappear into oblivion. Want a piston 5.56 gun? Then go for a MCX or PWS. No purpose to the SCAR-L.

The SCAR-H/17 is a legitimate lightweight battle rifle, but I have no need for it. And if you want a more precise 7.62 rifle, well there are better AR-10/SR-25 variants. Want a piston with your precision, look no further than the G28/Mister 762. The SCAR “heavy” is ironically only useful if you need a lightweight 7.62 carbine and don’t need an SDM type gun.

Yup. The SCAR-L/16 might as well disappear into oblivion. Want a piston 5.56 gun? Then go for a MCX or PWS. No purpose to the SCAR-L.

The SCAR-H/17 is a legitimate lightweight battle rifle, but I have no need for it. And if you want a more precise 7.62 rifle, well there are better AR-10/SR-25 variants. Want a piston with your precision, look no further than the G28/Mister 762.
still, demanding a $4k+ for any nato 5.56 or .308 gun is very odd in my mind. you cannot argue with collectors who will pay any $ for an item they want, but, there are limits to anything.

still, demanding a $4k+ for any nato 5.56 or .308 gun is very odd in my mind. you cannot argue with collectors who will pay any $ for an item they want, but, there are limits to anything.
Yeah, I was thinking from a military procurement standpoint. From a civilian standpoint, the H&K offering is just silly expensive. KAC as well, but not as bad as H&K.

Back
Top Bottom