Scar 16

Private or dealer. Stock needs to be fixed (no fold, no telescope). Muzzle brake needs to be pinned/welded. 10rd mags.

Perfectly legal once AW compliant.

Hard to come buy. They never have enough in distribution to meet demand. The 17s is even harder to get.

10rd mags.
Or pre-ban AR-15 / STANAG in whatever count you can find.

Hard to come buy. They never have enough in distribution to meet demand. The 17s is even harder to get.
Not that hard. MFS seems to have them most of the times I'm in there, and they're showing in-stock on their website at the moment. Certainly not giving them away, however.

I thought that all "assault rifles" and the such were made illegal to purchase in Mass? I don't mean to question, you just really made my day lol

I thought that all "assault rifles" and the such were made illegal to purchase in Mass? I don't mean to question, you just really made my day lol

Scar never has been an AW when properly configured. It is not a listed gun on the federal definition from 1994 so has always been good.

I thought that all "assault rifles" and the such were made illegal to purchase in Mass?
Both the Scar and the CZ 805 use different internals than an AR-15, so they're not "copy" or "duplicate" models of a listed rifle (the dubious reinterpretation the AG currently is pushing to stop sales of AR-15 style rifles).

As they are not "copies" and they are not listed in the legislation defining an "assault weapon" (not "assault rifle", see below), they are allowed as long as they possess no more than one of the oh-so-terrible cosmetic items. As the pistol grip counts as one, you can sell them without issue if (a) the folding / adjustable stock is pinned, (b) the muzzle brake is pinned/welded so that you couldn't get a flash suppressor onto the barrel, and (c) the bayonet mount is removed. The cost of making those modifications increases the cost of the rifles above the going rate in the balance of the US, but still available at or below MSRP.

The legislation also banned possession of post-enactment-manufactured magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. However, possession of larger magazines made before the law was enacted remains legal. There's a burgeoning market in old magazines for those people who want to use a magazine with more than 10 rounds. As in the case of the rifles themselves, older magazines, in conditions running from really cruddy to new-in-wrapper sell for a significant premium in MA than in most of the country.

Side note. An "assault rifle" is a real thing, a selective semi-automatic / fully automatic magazine fed rifle in an intermediate caliber, designed for infantry use. An "assault weapon" is a fake made-for-TV-news term, used to describe a semi-automatic rifle that looks scary. Functions just like Dad's old hunting rifle, but can be spun to pretend they're fully automatic on the news.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom