SCAM

actually it's quite common as they make up fake ones. by the time your bank finds out it's fake, your stuff is long gone and the money comes out of your bank account

Never deposit a usps money order in a bank account. Cash that at the usps counter. The clerk punches in the nunbers, instantly verifies its real and hands over cash.

Oh please, nobody is trying to entrap or sting you guys, you're far too small potatoes to be interesting to the people doing such things
This is something that gets too often forgotten. I’m not the ATF’s biggest fan by any stretch but there seems to be this notion that they scour online gun communities for 15.9” barrels and will blow in your front door as soon as you touch a pistol brace to your shoulder.

ATF is a big picture organization. Grand scale. They’re looking for back channel arms proliferation by violent people, not jimmy and Johnny playing f*** f*** in the sand pit with their bump stocks.

Never deposit a usps money order in a bank account. Cash that at the usps counter. The clerk punches in the nunbers, instantly verifies its real and hands over cash.

Only if they have enough cash in the drawer to do so, which is usually not the case if its over a couple hundred bucks. Good luck trying to find anywhere to cash one for $500+. I went to 2 town post offices and two big central ones (Peabody and Woburn) and NONE could cash one for $800 nevermind the other one for $1000 I had for a gun I sold. They aren't a bank.

You pretty much have no choice but to put it in the bank if its anything significant.

That OK. I’m so used to password rules where you have to include text and digits that I just put digits on the end of everything now. Our new dog Scotti238 doesn’t seem to notice.
Actually, if you'd like a bit better password security, put the numbers/special characters somewhere in the middle of a string of text rather than at the end.

Best to use a passphrase instead of a password:

View attachment 479534

XKCD, correct?

Here's a great explanation of a recommended way to create passphrases:

Unfortunately, most places that you use passwords, however, would disallow the use of a passphrase as described above for failing their chosen password complexity requirements.

XKCD, correct?

Here's a great explanation of a recommended way to create passphrases:

Unfortunately, most places that you use passwords, however, would disallow the use of a passphrase as described above for failing their chosen password complexity requirements.
Yup, that’s the XKCD cartoon. And equally correct that many sites actually force you to use a less memorable but easier (for computers) to guess PW. If you want to get into the weeds of password vs passphrase there is an interesting paper from Carnegie Mellon University’s Computer Science Department on them: http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/2012/proceedings/a7_Shay.pdf

This is something that gets too often forgotten. I’m not the ATF’s biggest fan by any stretch but there seems to be this notion that they scour online gun communities for 15.9” barrels and will blow in your front door as soon as you touch a pistol brace to your shoulder.

ATF is a big picture organization. Grand scale. They’re looking for back channel arms proliferation by violent people, not jimmy and Johnny playing f*** f*** in the sand pit with their bump stocks.
They wiped out half a family for a guy cutting down a shotgun barrel 1/4 too short.

Only if they have enough cash in the drawer to do so, which is usually not the case if its over a couple hundred bucks. Good luck trying to find anywhere to cash one for $500+. I went to 2 town post offices and two big central ones (Peabody and Woburn) and NONE could cash one for $800 nevermind the other one for $1000 I had for a gun I sold. They aren't a bank.

You pretty much have no choice but to put it in the bank if its anything significant.

If the postal clerk has a clue this is essy. Have them cash it for what they can and issue the balance on another usps money order. Hit up another post office. Also if large amount see if the purchaser will buy several smaller amounts. 4 usps money orders for 200.00 each.

Posted a WTB, got one “I have a friend, here is his email.” Message. One I have one but you have to find an ffl that will take it from a non ffl. Both members joined in May of 2021 with very little posted. I emailed the first one. Had what I wanted and was polite. The price was too good to be true and wanted payment through an unprotected system.
The second ones price was also too good to be true. Wanted to send the pistol himself to an ffl which is against federal law. He had a story that he needed surgery and thats why he was selling. These may have been legitimate sellers but my early warning system was screaming.
I have had nothing but good experiences on our classifieds until now. But wonder how many others have had similar experiences.

I stand corrected. After looking up the ruling. I was at an ATF briefing and was told ffl to ffl only. Why am I not surprised.
my apologies.
from ATF site
“May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).”

N
I stand corrected. After looking up the ruling. I was at an ATF briefing and was told ffl to ffl only. Why am I not surprised.
my apologies.
from ATF site
“May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).”

No worries so many laws and store policies and bad advice tossed about. Ffl may receive a firearm from a non ffl holder either shipped or in person. Some stores make a policy that they only receive a firearm from another ffl.

N

No worries so many laws and store policies and bad advice tossed about. Ffl may receive a firearm from a non ffl holder either shipped or in person. Some stores make a policy that they only receive a firearm from another ffl.
I once taught a Mass Law Section of a safety class. The lead counsel for Boston ATF was in the class. He came up afterwards and thanked me. Most of the info he was not aware of. Feds dont care about state law.

I once taught a Mass Law Section of a safety class. The lead counsel for Boston ATF was in the class. He came up afterwards and thanked me. Most of the info he was not aware of. Feds dont care about state law.

Sadly that is not shocking at all. So many laws they only know and focus on a few. Feds dont enforce state law so they really have no idea. Some law enforcement can be cross sworn, enter into a joint enforcement agreement.

No it is not. A non ffl can transmit a firearm to an ffl. That is not against federal law. Some ffls have a store policy they will not accept a shipment from a non ffl. That is store policy and not federal law.

He was probably thinking of the shipping prohibitions on MAILING a handgun to an FFL from an unlicensed person. Shipping it is ok via common carrier but not US Mail.

Back
Top Bottom