• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

***SCAM ALERT***

Twigg

NES Member
Had a phone call fron the Miami area a little while ago. As I have a sister in the area I picked up and heard a computerized voice advising me to press 1 to speak with an agent about an urgent matter concerning my credit account.

Having had my identity stolen several times in the past year, coupled with the recent break-in at my old place I pressed 1.

Someone answered by thanking my and then went on about an issue with my "credit account". I stopped them and asked which credit provider they represented. More talk about this "urgent issue" and how it is going to have a negative impact on my credit rating...

OK, I said; "Exactly who do you represent ?" All I could understand was something about "Credit Services Company".

Told them nice try but no way was I giving any information to them.

Thought to give you folks a heads up. The number was 305-836-7371.

I ran a quick Google to get some intel on this company and thay are definatly a scam outfit with multiple numbers.

I too had that call 3 weeks ago. I NEVER hung up for 20 minutes. I tried to play along and they kept hanging up on me. I stayed on the line though. A couple minutes after each hang up- another person would talk to me and so on. They sounded pretty ghetto with poor grammar. If I had the time I would have spent all day messing with them.

I was going to post about it when it happened. I would not worry about them. Oh- they wanted to know what my credit card number was. I told them I owed $50,000 and I wanted their help. They kept on hanging up.

I have not had ID theft problems but I still put a fraud alert on my credit reports. If anybody wants to open an account they have to call me at home and verify my info. You can get a free credit report from each of the 3 agencies every year. You must keep calling back every 90 days to keep you fraud alert in place.

I have been getting these calls too. Just recently the wording changed from 'credit account' to 'auto insurance'. Same phone number and same voice on the recording.

Had a phone call fron the Miami area a little while ago. As I have a sister in the area I picked up and heard a computerized voice advising me to press 1 to speak with an agent about an urgent matter concerning my credit account.

Interesting. I work with quite a number of legit companies that do exactly that.
But they're legit.

got this same call...i picked it up thinking it was a serious matter..then after asking him who he works for i realized it was bullshit and attempting to devulge info from me..and bashed him for pretending like they are actually on of the companies i have a credit card with...they have some balls trying to snake/decive people.

Last edited:
Anybody report them the to AG's office? I believe if you are on the Nat'l Do Not Call list, they would be fined $100 for each offense (call). Not sure if you get it or what, but I seem to recall something like that.

The wife got that call for the auto repair warranties, she said do you want to talk to the? I said no, I already have a auto repair warranty and there is nothing wrong with it.

I also got the credit card one, I asked, what card is it? They said Discover, Whats the last four digits? They said they can't say that. I told them I do not have Discover and hung up.

Bastages

Last edited:
I think I got the same call (quite a few times). Finally answered one and as soon as I asked which company they represented they hung up.

A few days ago, I got a call from someone who was supposedly soliciting donations for the State Police. When I started asking questions, they dissconnected.

If you're on the national "do not call" list, and can get thier phone number you can register a complaint here: https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

I don't know how much good it does, but maybe enough complaints will get them fined.
I've complained about the credit card and auto warranty ones a few times. Nothing ever happened. Now when they call I pretend to be interested and set them up for one of my one liners. [rofl] It catches them off guard and they always hesitate before hanging up on me. Bastages.[angry][angry]

I'm getting them for auto repair warrantees. I told them I'm the national do not call list but it takes a while to get someone to talk to you...
As soon as you mention "Do not call list" they usually hang right up.

I was getting the auto warranty call at least once a week or not more. I listed my phonees on the national do not call list and MA do not call list. I am not sure if it even helped at all but since that day, I have not received any more of those calls.

Everyone should be monitoring their own credit card accounts. If you get a call this kind of call my suggestion is if they say a credit card company that you have. Hang up, then personally call your credit card company and ask them any questions you might have.

A good way to get rid of them is just say "someones at the door hold on a sec.". Then just put the tel. down and walk away.....for about 15 mins. They'll get tired of waiting and hang-up.

There was an article about these calls in the Eagle Tribune from Wednesday. Friend got the call as well but did not bite the bait.

I have not had ID theft problems but I still put a fraud alert on my credit reports. If anybody wants to open an account they have to call me at home and verify my info. You can get a free credit report from each of the 3 agencies every year. You must keep calling back every 90 days to keep you fraud alert in place.

This should be standard practice, it would save a lot of major headaches.

We get telemarketers at work all the time trying to scam anyone who answers. I love the you car is out of warranty line, little do they know the jerk off is calling a dealership.[rofl]

I find it fun to play with these fools. Work's slow so whay not.

This should be standard practice, it would save a lot of major headaches.

I signed up for LifeLock about 6 months ago. They automatically notify each credit bureau to alert Lifelock or myself of someone is attempting to secure a credit card or any kind of loan under my name.

They also stop the spam mail from arriving in your home mailbox. That alone was worth the price. I used to get Capital One solicitations every month in the mail and I discovered that Capital One also hit the credit bureaus every month for my credit rating, which really pissed me off because those hits for information lowered my credit rating. [angry]

As to the PHISHING phone calls. That is more than an annoyance; it is a Federal offense and should be reported to the FBI.

From the FBI website: http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/fraudschemes.htm

Common Fraud Schemes

Extra The FBI is warning the public about an ongoing scheme involving jury service. Please be aware that individuals identifying themselves as U.S. court employees have been contacting citizens by phone and advising them that they have been selected for jury duty. These individuals ask citizens to verify names and social security numbers and then ask for their credit card numbers. If the request is refused, citizens are then threatened with fines.

Telemarketing Fraud -
When you send money to people you do not know personally or give personal or financial information to unknown callers, you increase your chances of becoming a victim of telemarketing fraud.

Warning signs -- what a caller may tell you: -

"You must act 'now' or the offer won't be good." -

"You've won a 'free' gift, vacation, or prize." But you have to pay for "postage and handling" or other charges. -

"You must send money, give a credit card or bank account number, or have a check picked up by courier." You may hear this before you have had a chance to consider the offer carefully. -

"You don't need to check out the company with anyone." The callers say you do not need to speak to anyone including your family, lawyer, accountant, local Better Business Bureau, or consumer protection agency. -

"You don't need any written information about their company or their references." -

"You can't afford to miss this 'high-profit, no-risk' offer." If you hear these--or similar--"lines" from a telephone salesperson, just say "no thank you," and hang up the phone.

Some Tips to Avoid Telemarketing Fraud:

It's very difficult to get your money back if you've been cheated over the phone. Before you buy anything by telephone, remember: * Don't buy from an unfamiliar company. Legitimate businesses understand that you want more information about their company and are happy to comply.

* Always ask for and wait until you receive written material about any offer or charity. If you get brochures about costly investments, ask someone whose financial advice you trust to review them. But, unfortunately, beware -- not everything written down is true.

* Always check out unfamiliar companies with your local consumer protection agency, Better Business Bureau, state Attorney General, the National Fraud Information Center, or other watchdog groups. Unfortunately, not all bad businesses can be identified through these organizations.

* Obtain a salesperson's name, business identity, telephone number, street address, mailing address, and business license number before you transact business. Some con artists give out false names, telephone numbers, addresses, and business license numbers. Verify the accuracy of these items.

* Before you give money to a charity or make an investment, find out what percentage of the money is paid in commissions and what percentage actually goes to the charity or investment.

* Before you send money, ask yourself a simple question. "What guarantee do I really have that this solicitor will use my money in the manner we agreed upon?"

* You must not be asked to pay in advance for services. Pay services only after they are delivered.

* Some con artists will send a messenger to your home to pick up money, claiming it is part of their service to you. In reality, they are taking your money without leaving any trace of who they are or where they can be reached.

* Always take your time making a decision. Legitimate companies won't pressure you to make a snap decision.

* Don't pay for a "free prize." If a caller tells you the payment is for taxes, he or she is violating federal law.

* Before you receive your next sales pitch, decide what your limits are -- the kinds of financial information you will and won't give out on the telephone.

* It's never rude to wait and think about an offer. Be sure to talk over big investments offered by telephone salespeople with a trusted friend, family member, or financial advisor.

* Never respond to an offer you don't understand thoroughly.

* Never send money or give out personal information such as credit card numbers and expiration dates, bank account numbers, dates of birth, or social security numbers to unfamiliar companies or unknown persons.

* Your personal information is often brokered to telemarketers through third parties.

* If you have information about a fraud report it to state, local, or federal law enforcement agencies.

* Reconcile your bank account monthly and notify your bank of discrepancies immediately.

* Keep a list of telephone numbers to call to report the loss or theft of your wallet, credit cards, etc.

* Report unauthorized financial transactions to your bank, credit card company, and the police as soon as you detect them.

* Review a copy of your credit report at least once each year. Notify the credit bureau in writing of any questionable entries and follow through until they are explained or removed.

* If your identity has been assumed, ask the credit bureau to print a statement to that effect in your credit report.

* If you know of anyone who receives mail from credit card companies or banks in the names of others, report it to local or federal law enforcement authorities.

Related Links: LooksTooGoodToBeTrue website | Telemarketing Victim Call Center | Consumer Action website | Consumer Protection - Investments | Consumer Fraud and Identity Theft Complaint Data Report

Last edited:
I think something like that happened to me the other day. Some automated message said something about a "file" and a car being "recharacterized" or something. It was a really general message. Probably trying to get SSN numbers and whatnot.

I use an old police whistle... Was using a freon air horn til it died. I've reported them at least a half dozen times..Just wait til someone answers. May not stop em but makes Me feel better [smile][smile]

Some time back, I got a call from someone trying to sell me something. I listened to his spiel and told him I wasn't interested. Typically they keep trying until you either cave in or hang up.

After several more "I'm not interested"'s, I hung up on the turd.

Immediately my phone rang again and the same guy that I hung up on was back, screaming at me.

He hollered "Don't you f'ing hang up on me, you Sunnuvabitch. I've got something to tell you and you'd better not hang up on me again, you bastid."

I said 'F you" and hung up. The phone rang a couple of more times before he quit.

This was before caller ID so there wasn't much I could really do about it. I thought it was kinda funny. Seem like even those slime balls can have a bad day once in a while.

Ask them for their home # & tell them you'll call them back.

To quote Seinfeld: "You don't want anybody calling you at home? Now you know how I feel." *CLICK*

I got a call today, from an automated voice to "stay on the line" but I hung up. Then I noticed the caller ID said NCO Collections, which I recognized as a real agency from looking at thousands of credit reports. I called the number back and the guy said he was calling about my Cap One card. He asked for my card number and when I wouldn't give it, he asked for my soc sec number, which I also wouldn't give. I gave him my home phone that they had called and he repeated the correct last 4 from my Cap One card but said they had called in error.
I still feel uneasy about it.

I had Amex call me and leave me a message to call about my account. I call, get an official sounding puter voice saying "Thank you for calling Amex please enter your account #" , I do nothing and a rep comes on the phone and tells me my account had problems that needed to be cleared up. They asked for my name and address. They then asked for my acccount # I told them they should have it. Then they asked for my SS #, I refused.

The kicker is

I never have had an Amex account. I tell them that I never have had an Amex account. They ask for my SS# again to "clear things up" I hang up.

Be carefull what you give people on the phone!

When Amex called me and left me a message to call them back, I called the number on the back of my cc (NOT the number they left). It was a real call, they had caught fraud going on with my account.

Back
Top Bottom