**SCAM ALERT**

Just about every single want to buy ad I post I get responses like this which are a scam. Every single time it is a scam. Just a heads up that there’s a lot of these.

Attachments

• BF5D4220-AFED-4616-8EB7-1E16CDBD68B7.jpeg
    BF5D4220-AFED-4616-8EB7-1E16CDBD68B7.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3
Just about every single want to buy ad I post I get responses like this which are a scam. Every single time it is a scam. Just a heads up that there’s a lot of these.
These are classic scams.

Please don't send money to someone who literally created an account a few weeks ago. When these are reported they are banned pretty quickly so when you see them, report them.

These are classic scams.

Please don't send money to someone who literally created an account a few weeks ago. When these are reported they are banned pretty quickly so when you see them, report them.
Maybe review the status quo of allowing non-greens to send 50 PMs?

(You might still allow them to receive PMs.
I'm sure there's a way to corrupt any scheme,
but forcing a scammer to wave their hands in public "PM me - I know A Guy"
increases the odds that the scam will be detected before money changes hands).

No skin off my teeth.
I'm just saying that you probably didn't create this site to enable criminal fraudsters.

If the site is so popular that scammers slip in all the time,
then change either the registration process,
or the benefit package for free accounts.

Or require ID-based payment methods for initial subscriptions
and only allow anonymous/low-overhead methods (like fools sending money in the mail)
for renewals. Criminal fraud is somewhat less attractive if it costs over $20 for a scam account
when it was free a week earlier, and it's really less attractive
if it leaves a trail that The Man can follow when investigating wire fraud.

If NES is intended to provide an even deeper level of member anonymity than I'd perceived,
pardon the suggestions. Just trying to think outside the box here.

P. S. Not trolling you for a long-winded rationale if all the above is crap.

They are all non-green. They PM members who have WTB ads, send them to an email address, and conduct the fraudulent transaction via email.
@AHM
Being green to PM is an interesting suggestion. Not sure many people would go for it, but if you have to be green to sell then why not be green to buy? Again, only suggestions. I’m sure there’s much more behind the scenes that makes this issue complicated.

@AHM
Being green to PM is an interesting suggestion. Not sure many people would go for it, but if you have to be green to sell then why not be green to buy? Again, only suggestions. I’m sure there’s much more behind the scenes that makes this issue complicated.
No reason to go green to buy, that is part of the reason it's good to sell here because you can reach both members and non members. If you get scammed selling a gun then I dont know what to tell you. Don't ship your item until you have the buys money cashed in hand.

The problems exist when you send a complete stranger, who signed up on the forum last week, $$$. Or even worse do all of your communications via a shady gmail account per the request of the scammer.

The problem is people are too eager to buy stuff that is hard to find or too good of a deal to pass up. Do your due diligence and you wont get scammed.

Back
Top Bottom