• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SC03A3

JonJ

NES Member
My Smith Corona 1903A3 arrived today. Here's some pix.

sc03a3-1.jpg

sc03a3-2.jpg

sc03a3-3.jpg

sc03a3-4.jpg

sc03a3-5.jpg

sc03a3-6.jpg

Thanks guys. I can't wait to shoot the rifle and the deck was new in Sept, I can't wait to really use that too!

JonJ said:
Thanks guys. I can't wait to shoot the rifle and the deck was new in Sept, I can't wait to really use that too!

Well, if you ever invite us over to use your new deck. I promise to know my place. Which is bringing enough beer for everyone and maybe holding up one of your deck railings. :D Or, if my place is working a grill, I can do that as well. hehehe

I just couldn't help but to use that line...sorry.

C-pher said:
JonJ said:

Well, if you ever invite us over to use your new deck. I promise to know my place. Which is bringing enough beer for everyone and maybe holding up one of your deck railings. :D Or, if my place is working a grill, I can do that as well. hehehe

I just couldn't help but to use that line...sorry.
[lol] [lol]

Congrats! :D

That's a nice rifle. The metal looks great and that stock definitely has some character, very nice.

CD

I need to clean the stock up a bit and oil it up. If you notice, it's the older pinned stock. Metal finish looks real good except on the small parts. I believe the metal finish is original. There are some non SC parts but the main stuff, stock, barrel, bolt, buttplate and trigger guard are all SC.

Where do you find these types of rifles? And if you don't mind me asking, how much are they? And I'm guessing that they are C&R? Do you have to do much before you can fire them? Or they all ready to go?

Help me Jon-bwan-kenobi, you're my only hope.

I'm not a huge fan of old rifles. I like the SKS, the M1 .30 carbine, and this one is pretty cool. All the other ones, not so much.

Yet I don't own any of the above mentioned rifles, this is one that I would get.

C-pher said:
Where do you find these types of rifles? And if you don't mind me asking, how much are they? And I'm guessing that they are C&R? Do you have to do much before you can fire them? Or they all ready to go?

Help me Jon-bwan-kenobi, you're my only hope.

I'm not a huge fan of old rifles. I like the SKS, the M1 .30 carbine, and this one is pretty cool. All the other ones, not so much.

Yet I don't own any of the above mentioned rifles, this is one that I would get.
I got this via a private sale over the net. It was in Nebraska.
The CMP was selling them but they're sold out. They do have the older 1903's in stock though. When the CMP had 03A3's they sold them for $400 and that set the benchmark. Now that they're sold out, the prices have risen a bit. If you check the auction boards you'll see that most owners are looking for big money, around $600. The average realistic price is around $500. The majority that you'll see will be Remington. I think there were 5 Rems for every Smith Corona built. Most will be arsenal refinished. A large number were given to the Greeks and they were returned to the US a couple of years ago. Many that the CMP had were Greek returns. The CMP rifles were packed in cosmo and needed cleaning but for the most part, they were ready to go. As with any used rifle, the headspace should be checked.
I wasn't looking for a Smith Corona, I just fell into it. I would have been happy with a Rem but the price was right. I paid a little more than the CMP was selling them for.
Yes, it is C&R as it was built in 1943.

Nice SC !

Be ready for a real 'stout' recoil. I find my Rem03a3 to kick back alot more than I like. I bought a slip on rubber butt pad to make it bearable.

I got mine from CMP and it's in great shape, like yours.

My 1917 Eddystone is a pussy cat compared to this and they shoot the same round !

03tree.jpg

C-pher said:
That's really cool.

I would like to get into M1's. But I know nothing about them. Hell, other than my Grandfathers M1 .30 carbine, I've never shot them. I would love to try a .30-06 sometime.
What's more to know than you want one? If ya want one, get one! The M1's are a neat rifle.
Pilgrim, thanks for the compliment. I couldn't believe how light it is. I thought, gee it'll be a pleasure to shoot and then remembered, Oiy 30.06!
BTW: This is my first bolt gun other than my dad's old .22

JonJ said:
M1911 said:
I would love to try a .30-06 sometime.
Harrass me sometime after the snow melts. We'll go air out my CMP Garand. You'll owe me a micro-brew six-pack in exchange.
Get a bunch together and we can do a mioni battle rattle.

This sounds like a plan to me...

I'll pick up some micro's...

Back
Top Bottom