• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBS purchase?

I am considering getting a short barreled shotgun to add to my collection. According to titleii.com, MA does not allow posession of AOW's or SBS's. Subguns.com also lists the same Bardwell listings.

Does anyone know for sure if MA will allow either AOW's or SBS's?

Thanks,

Bob

I am considering getting a short barreled shotgun to add to my collection. According to titleii.com, MA does not allow posession of AOW's or SBS's. Subguns.com also lists the same Bardwell listings.

Does anyone know for sure if MA will allow either AOW's or SBS's?

Thanks,

Bob

I believe you can own SBS in MA. YOu need to find a place to sell you one, first. THen you need to fill out the ATF form and send in your check for it, wait forever to have it approved. Oh, and the Chief of Police of your town has to be willing to sign off on the ATF paperwork allowing you to get the SBS.

There was a sticky here on Class 3 laws in Mass., but I don't see it anymore. Mods?

There was a sticky here on Class 3 laws in Mass., but I don't see it anymore. Mods?

It was a sticky on all things tht fall outside of the simple LTC/FID thing, not just actual Class III weapons (a SBS does not require a Class III)

so, a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, and comes without a stock attached (say, pistol grip) is actually an AOW, not a SBS? Did I read that correctly? Its categorized as a smooth bore pistol?

Correct. A shotgun with that has never had a stock attached to it, with a barrel less then 18", is an AOW. That doesn't effect its MA or federal legality, just changes how much you have to pay to transfer it. [smile]

Specifically, I am looking to get a Remington 870 with a 14" bbl and full stock.

Bob

They're a regular production item from Remington. Any Remington LE dealer or a dealer with access to a Remington LE distributor should be able to get you one. In theory any dealer can do that, but a dealer that regularly deals in NFA items will be much more responsive.

--EasyD

Yes. If it's designed to be shot from the shoulder, it's a SBS. Otherwise, it's an AOW.

but it is it the same form for it (Form 4)?

Does it bring the tax stamp down from 200 bucks to 5 bucks?

From my understanding, here ids what I have:

A pistol grip shotgun with a 14 inch barrel, that has NEVER had a stock attached to it requires the following:

1. My permit (no problemo)
2. CLEO sign off
3. a dealer willing to get me an NFA or AOW weapon (a place tht deals in NFA/AOW could do this)
4. which form? 4, which is the one used for SBS? Or a different form? Sigh, I dunno.

but it is it the same form for it (Form 4)?

Does it bring the tax stamp down from 200 bucks to 5 bucks?

From my understanding, here ids what I have:

A pistol grip shotgun with a 14 inch barrel, that has NEVER had a stock attached to it requires the following:

1. My permit (no problemo)
2. CLEO sign off
3. a dealer willing to get me an NFA or AOW weapon (a place tht deals in NFA/AOW could do this)
4. which form? 4, which is the one used for SBS? Or a different form? Sigh, I dunno.

You seem a little confused about what NFA vs AOW means. An AOW is a type of NFA item. All NFA items use the same forms. Form 1 to make, Form 4 to transfer, etc...

AOWs cost $5 to transfer, all others are $200.

The transfer form is really something you need to worry about minimally. Any dealer worth anything will prepare all the necessary forms, and walk you through the process. You will also need 2 passport photos, 2 fingerprint cards and a certification of citizenship.

Both Mossberg and Remington make regular production 14" AOW and SBS shotguns. You will need to stick to factory made short shotguns, SBS or AOW, in MA.

--EasyD

Last edited:
It was a sticky on all things tht fall outside of the simple LTC/FID thing, not just actual Class III weapons (a SBS does not require a Class III)

OK, I knew it was something like that. I see it was moved, no biggie. Thanks EasyD for that info too.

You seem a little confused about what NFA vs AOW means. An AOW is a type of NFA item. All NFA items use the same forms. Form 1 to make, Form 4 to transfer, etc...

AOWs cost $5 to transfer, all others are $200.

The transfer form is really something you need to worry about minimally. Any dealer worth anything will prepare all the necessary forms, and walk you through the process. You will also need 2 passport photos, 2 fingerprint cards and a certification of citizenship.

Both Mossberg and Remington make regular production 14" AOW and SBS shotguns. You will need to stick to factory made short shotguns, SBS or AOW, in MA.

--EasyD

Thanks, I knew an AOW is a type of NFA, I was too tired to correct myself last night[frown]

Back
Top Bottom