• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBRs and the new assault weapon ban

Just wild. This is one hell of an experiment by the AG. One day decide that the laws on the books for nearly two decades are now changed with no legislative process whatsoever and watch how everyone (including the ATF) simply falls in line. The fact that even form 3's are being held up tells me there is no rational thought being applied.

No, ATF is trying to get clarification from the AG (as are all of us).

However, I never expect Healey to respond to the ATF just like she hasn't responded to Baker or the legislators. In which case, it sits in limbo forever and ATF will have to decide on how to proceed on their own, probably taking the cautious route once they realize that they will never get an answer from the AG!

You mean "cannot buy post HeliBan" rather than "can't own" don't you?
Yes that would be more accurate..
I just wonder how the atf can suspended all form 1s... lets say you filed to sbr a pre 1994. I dont see how they would need clarification to proceed...other then they would have to find out the date of manufacture of every form 1 item.

Just approve my HK94 already *******s, you can give me the $200 back for the AR stamps... Those were just CYA in case something broke. 4473 says I owned it before Healey's new lawr.
**** I need to get out of this state. Why do the most fkd up states have the best employment? Why is that?

they would have to find out the date of manufacture of every form 1 item.
The problem is that from a federal point of view, a Form 1 is permission to manufacture; not permission to convert. There is no federal form one difference between completing an 80% lower as an SBR and converting a lower. You have multiple concepts: Manufacture from a federal point of view (complete 80% lower); manufacture from a state point of view (add enough parts to make the gun go boom); then the pre heliban completed lower, the pre-heliban opulate lower and the pre-heliban completed EBR. Some ATF examiner's head is going to explode then things will get really backed up.

Well ill tell you, if i run into trouble with my ** forms ill be taking it to court myself.
*** are not listed in the AWB, and do not fail either of her imaginary tests......once more she's clarifying the AWB wich can't possibly apply to my FA stuff.
Its mind blowing that my new uzi and my new HK sear are MA OK, but sbr ar15s are not..(edit mean transferable..just new purchases)

Between the atf dragging thier feet and out of state venders no longer shipping to Ma until they receive clarification, its an outright ban without the legislature.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that from a federal point of view, a Form 1 is permission to manufacture; not permission to convert. There is no federal form one difference between completing an 80% lower as an SBR and converting a lower. You have multiple concepts: Manufacture from a federal point of view (complete 80% lower); manufacture from a state point of view (add enough parts to make the gun go boom); then the pre heliban completed lower, the pre-heliban opulate lower and the pre-heliban completed EBR. Some ATF examiner's head is going to explode then things will get really backed up.

Ya my heads spinning.

Last edited:
Between the atf dragging thier feet and out of state venders no longer shipping to Ma until they receive clarification, its an outright ban without the legislature.

I hope you don't think that this was an Unintended consequence! FUD does wonders to accomplish what you can't accomplish using proper legal methods.

Yes indeed. I have 15 plus form 3's and 4's in transit and they are all on hold until ATF's legal council gets a definition from the AG's office to what a "Assault Rifle" is.

What the **** so we could forever be in limbo. Plus they have our ****ing money and dont give a shit and will just hold onto it. Complete bs

I just hope she does it promptly so the rest of the MA NFA can move on to business as usual.
I can already forsee me having to have MA dealers transfer to NH dealers and move..... and have to wait aadditional two transfers....i bet this just went from a 1-2 year wait to a 3 year wait for me.

Perhaps i should have bought land instead of guns....ive got to start looking, MA just sucks.Why i ever moved back is beyond me.

I just hope she does it promptly so the rest of the MA NFA can move on to business as usual.

I'm sure that she'll "get to it" just as soon as she answers all those letters from Baker, legistraitors, etc. asking for clarification!

I don't see any reason on her part to respond to anyone, it's a "perfect storm" as she left it . . . confusing to all, thus hold all activity hoping for clarification that never comes.

Sorry, that is how I see the situation.

Buying a house elsewhere and moving is a much quicker alternative, sadly.

She or the legislature will have to eventually..if the atf is truely not processing any NFA to MA....Something will get done.. you cant stop all nfa to MA under her current clarification.

I can already forsee me having to have MA dealers transfer to NH dealers and move..... and have to wait aadditional two transfers....i bet this just went from a 1-2 year wait to a 3 year wait for me.

Perhaps i should have bought land instead of guns....ive got to start looking, MA just sucks.Why i ever moved back is beyond me.

If Hilary wins it could be the whole country.

She's going to tell them recievers are AWs and SBRs are AWs - game over.

That's cute, but I don't agree. Someone is probably going to have to hire an NFA lawyer to un**** them, though. Eventually she's going to get dragon punched on this corner of the issue, for the reasons I already mentioned.

-Mike

That's cute, but I don't agree. Someone is probably going to have to hire an NFA lawyer to un**** them, though. Eventually she's going to get dragon punched on this corner of the issue, for the reasons I already mentioned.

-Mike

This. Can someone just hurry up and file in federal court already! (NFA-related, not the full blown Healy bulshit.)

-JR

-Mike

Oh, I agree, it's a winnable case for sure. All this stuff has been defined by the Feds during the original ban - Healy has to argue that they were wrong and she is correct.

This information is out of date. Suppressors were legalized in VT, with the caveat that they can only be used on "sport shooting ranges"... which is defined broadly so even a backyard range would meet the definition.

But yes, prior to the legalization the fine was there and that did cause the ATF to deny applications.
So they're still illegal to use in assassinations unless done so at a sport shooting range.

- - - Updated - - -

Please stop using "assault rifle" interchangeably with "assault weapon". The former refers to machine guns, the latter is a term of art created by politicians and the media to describe semi-automatic rifles with cosmetic features that make anti-freedom people wet their pants.
I would think they should be called scary guns.

Just approve my HK94 already *******s, you can give me the $200 back for the AR stamps... Those were just CYA in case something broke. 4473 says I owned it before Healey's new lawr.
**** I need to get out of this state. Why do the most fkd up states have the best employment? Why is that?
Because those states own Washington and suck all the money into those states. Freedom comes at a price of lower earned income and a lower perceived government defined standard of living. I hope to get out of CT if real estate values pick up within the next ten years, if not then so be it, I start over with a lot less cash.if lightning hits my house it would be literally worth as much as hitting the lottery. [rofl]

Submitted a Form 1 individual last week and saw the ATF charged my card today. I called them in advance of my submission and the kind lady I got on the phone said that they have not been instructed to deny MA SBR applications as of last week. Take it for what it is, another data point.

Oh, I agree, it's a winnable case for sure. All this stuff has been defined by the Feds during the original ban - Healy has to argue that they were wrong and she is correct.
As were the Draper and Village Vault cases. In both cases, we got a judge who felt the desired public policy regarding guns was more important than the rule of law.

Submitted a Form 1 individual last week and saw the ATF charged my card today. I called them in advance of my submission and the kind lady I got on the phone said that they have not been instructed to deny MA SBR applications as of last week. Take it for what it is, another data point.
350.png

I've heard from reputable sources that the ATF says they aren't holding up Form 1s. I also hear from a reputable source the exact opposite from the ATF. Who the eff knows

I've heard from reputable sources that the ATF says they aren't holding up Form 1s. I also hear from a reputable source the exact opposite from the ATF. Who the eff knows

I think this is what is going on: The ATF is not denying MA forms. The ATF is not approving MA forms. The ATF is not processing, reviewing, or acknowledging MA forms.

The confusion is in how you ask the question and the political twist of an answer you get in return.

They definetly aren't denying them... but they have all massachusetts residents applications in one big stack that have dust on them

I think this is what is going on: The ATF is not denying MA forms. The ATF is not approving MA forms. The ATF is not processing, reviewing, or acknowledging MA forms.

The confusion is in how you ask the question and the political twist of an answer you get in return.

I called today to check in and make sure they received the form (they did ding my credit card). I once again asked the question about whether they were holding up or refusing any MA forms and the kind lady told me that a) I wasn't the first one to ask, and b) that they have received no instructions yet to do anything other than continue processing MA forms. Just my .02

Back
Top Bottom