• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBRs and the new assault weapon ban

Any follow up on this? I have my last form 1 efile submitted 2/23 and surprised there's no email yet. Curious to see if they are purposely holding out on MA residents for the AG's drama. I know a lot of people that filed way after me getting approved & just miss the 30 day efile days. Also curious to see if anyone's submitted a new form 1 and if the payment as cashed since the "ban"...

These are some great ideas for future legislation. Nobody needs SBRs. You should send this thread to the guy who wipes servers.

im 99% sure at this point any MASS resident with a pending Form 1 is ****ED...... at this point I just want my $400 back.

Nothing would surprise me in this state but I'd like to assume at least if you filed before the ban you'd be ok. I'm remaining optimistic

If you already have an AR and are changing it to SBR, I would expect that would not violate the Healey edict. Anyone have more details?

If you already have an AR and are changing it to SBR, I would expect that would not violate the Healey edict. Anyone have more details?

Are you suggesting that the hold up could be the ATF requesting FA-10 records on pending forms from the FRB?

Are you suggesting that the hold up could be the ATF requesting FA-10 records on pending forms from the FRB?
No. I have no idea.

But, I suspect the new rush of Form 1/4's to beat the change in procedure would be a more likely reason for delays.

I suspect that many lowers that were FA10's back in the blue card days never made it to the database even if properly filed. Remember MA has "reporting", not affirmative registration of guns - and there is no such offense as "possession of an registered gun". They would have to prove one failed to file an FA10 when required to do so by law.

No. I have no idea.

But, I suspect the new rush of Form 1/4's to beat the change in procedure would be a more likely reason for delays.

I suspect that many lowers that were FA10's back in the blue card days never made it to the database even if properly filed. Remember MA has "reporting", not affirmative registration of guns - and there is no such offense as "possession of an registered gun". They would have to prove one failed to file an FA10 when required to do so by law.

Wishful thinking but the atf is now approving mid- March form 1's. A few of us submitted mid to late February so why wouldn't ours be approved but for the AG.

Im suprised this thread hasn't be deleted yet,one in the general was deleted yesterday.
The hold up is more than likely related to the rush to file do to the trust change..which seems a bit silly to me since individuals no longer need CLEO sign off.

Everyone should have been form 1 SBRing pre 1994 guns anyway...atleast if that model of firearm existed before 1994....

I wouldn't start worrying untill its been 7 or 8 month on a form 1.
Also people probibly have been submitting more lately to try and get around healey's decree.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking. How do you explain mid March approvals then? They are approved by submission date. They are processed chronologically .

So your saying because the atf is aprroving mid march forms and some of your were submitted late feb... that theres a problem? A month means nothing in the NFAwait world.

Im not sure it is still done this way, but it used to be agents were assigned by state.. so approve times in other states dont directly match up with ours. But i think i remember reading that they dont do it that way any more.

Nevermind, that your form could be rejected and you just don't know yet.
Im not sure if this is a paper or efile specific discussion.

Im not trying to worry you yours will be in tommarrow i bet. If it is rejected ill give you the atf guy to call and he'll take your correction and approve you... asuming you efiled..

I just think its a bit silly with nfa tracker say about 6 months that your getting ansy...i just submit and forget about it if its through a dealer and if i do it myself efile i just check from time to time...im starting a year wait myself.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the wait, I'm used to it at this point. Just curious if anyone has been approved efile or paper since the ban. I'm assuming your referencing Agent Ted Clutter btw haha. The only thing I'm worried about is if one has to file again, now they'd have to submit with the 41F changes. As far as trusts go, they're still worth it in the long run even though Cleo is no longer required imo. Lastly, that was my post that got deleted yesterday...I don't really jump on here much, gave a quick search for an nfa section & didn't see one so I posted it in the general section and people lost their minds apparently. I work part time at an ffl in Ma besides two other jobs to fund my firearm disease so I don't get to post much on here

So, since MGL 269 bans possession of a rifle, firearm or shotgun unless the holder has an LTC or FID as appropriate, wouldn't this therefore mean that one does not need an LTC to possess and carry an SBR in the DPRM?

wasn't there some clown who got off on a weapon charge because he had a revolver that was pre-1898 (or whatever the antique year is...)

'course you can't buy or possess ammo or magazines or anything else gun related without a license in the PRM....

I dont think your post got deleted because of the question specifically, i think my answer was just to truthful for some to handle...
If you had to resubmit with 41f that would suck. Mine original beat it, and while a pain the trust is without a doubt IMO worth it.but everyone situation varries.. since i could get CLEO sign off if i had to . i use the trust if i die or i want other people to be able to possess my NFA items.perhaps get hurt at an event or have car trouble.

I didnt want to post his name, you can also use the "ask the pro" help button..i was just concerned if he gets swamped with request.. they'll instant approve less of them.

While im midly curios to hear about aprovals, if things dont work out well there are plenty of pre 1994 things to SBR.....just have to wait all over and engrave a collectable.. possible hurting its value.

Maybe im just not a nice person or full of myself for never getting involved in the neutered ar15 game...and forseeing the AWB/SBR debate for what it is.. people wanting to save a few 100 dollars and are now felons in waiting or soon to be once the sbr/awb issue is clarified... ialso didnt use a dirt cheap trust service..
Some of the trusts i have seen are laughable at best.

Last edited:
The forms aren't actually processed chronologically, just for the record. They are processed in batches by state for a given timeframe.

I'm not surprised that no stamps for MA have been approved but until we see denials it's just conjecture.

For your stamp.. if thats the case try holding your breathe. I find it helpful when you wake up you wont even remeber what you were waiting for.

Or are you waiting for my posts to be deleted? Thats what im waiting for...the whole thread is just more pants pooping.

I spoke with Ted Clutter last week, and all NFA assault weapons are on hold for mass, until they get more info if legal to posses from the state

What the **** is so hard for the AG to determine here? Why is this taking weeks????

I spoke with Ted Clutter last week, and all NFA assault weapons are on hold for mass, until they get more info if legal to posses from the state

Sadly they are unlikely to ever get an answer out of the MA AG's office. It's not in their interest to answer such questions. [angry]

It would have been very easy for the ATF to simply reject and refund all MA forms. The fact that they haven't tells me they don't quite know what to make of Healey's shenanigans.

Would it be helpful for GOAL or Comm2a to reach out to them? ...I'm grasping at straws here.

ef9eaaee33321ea24943071294adf9d0.jpg

Coworker got this email from "ask the experts"

Last edited:
Well ... all I can say is that I had not planned on owning an AR pistol but guess I will now. I'll put a stock on it if and when this crap stops.

Back
Top Bottom