sbr sticky

greencobra

NES Member
do we have one? i can't find one. reptiles thread that came up yesterday, it put the thought in my head, i want to put in the paperwork asap before i'm to old to do anything but look at it.

i know we discussed this one before, how does one determine the overall rifle length to put on the form if the gun isn't built yet? i thought i'd get my ducks in a row, apply, get the stamp and worry about the details later as i build.

someone help an old guy out. if anyone wanted to pm with details others may feel redundant, please feel free.

Last edited:
do we have one? i can't find one. reptiles thread that came up yesterday, it put the thought in my head, i want to put in the paperwork asap before i'm to old to do anything but look at it.

i know we discussed this one before, how does one determine the overall rifle length to put on the form if the gun isn't built yet? i thought i'd get my ducks in a row, apply, get the stamp and worry about the details later as i build.

someone help an old guy out. if anyone wanted to pm with details others may feel redundant, please feel free.
You enter the shortest barrel you anticipate placing on the SBR. Once registered the SBR can have any barrel length desired.

You enter the shortest barrel you anticipate placing on the SBR. Once registered the SBR can have any barrel length desired.

Unless something changed, OAL is end of stock to end of barrel. Sub-26” (?) is an AOW instead of SBR/SBS. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

This is what I used as a guide when I did mine;
View: https://youtu.be/Z6ONqI3_QOI

Wait, how old do you have to be before you can only look at guns?

64936-1532336916.jpg

I have done 8 form 1 and a bunch of other forms I always go with the shortest barrel you can put on the gun and the shortest over all.

So on an AR 15 a 7 inch barrel is usually the shortest unless its in 9 mm and 24 inch over all is kinda the normal to I am sure youu can get over all shorter but its kinda hard on an AR because the upper is so big.

So I would go with 7in barrel and 24in over all and you should be fine.

I know some one is going to chime in and say there AR is only 15 inches over all but that guy usually forgets to measure the over all with the stock completely extended.

Last edited:
I have done 8 form 1 and a bunch of other forms I always go with the shortest barrel you can put on the gun and the shortest over all.

So on an AR 15 a 7 inch barrel is usually the shortest unless its in 9 mm and 24 inch over all is kinda the normal to I am sure ypu can get over all shorter but its kinda hard on an AR because the upper is so big.

So I would go with 7in barrel and 24in over all and you should be fine.

I know some one is going to chime in and say there AR is only 15 inches over all but that guy usually forgets to measure the over all with the stock completely extended.
The following may or may not be true:

The gun must be able to conform to its stated length in the Form 1.

So maybe that means that you need to have an upper that is that size.

You can have unlimited other uppers of any length - but you need to have the upper or the intended length.

Also: Under "Firearms" section on NES there is the NFA section.

The following may or may not be true:

The gun must be able to conform to its stated length in the Form 1.

So maybe that means that you need to have an upper that is that size.

You can have unlimited other uppers of any length - but you need to have the upper or the intended length.

Also: Under "Firearms" section on NES there is the NFA section.

No not really like I said just go with the shortest you can do on the rifle your SBRing like an AR 15 go with the 7 inch barrel and 24 inch over all and you will be fine if it ends up a little longer the ATF won't really care.

And after its compleat you can alway inform the ATF if it ended up being a diffrent size and when you inform them all you do is send them a email with the approved form 1 with a note that its this size not that size.

Last edited:
No not really like I said just go with the shortest you can do on the rufle your SBR like an AR 15 go with the 7 inch barrel and 24 inch over all and you will be fine if it ends up a little longer the ATF won't really care.

And after its compleat you can alway inform the ATF if it ended up being a diffrent size and when you inform them all you do is send them a email with the approved form 1 with a note that its this size not that size.
my plan was an 11" bbl with 5.56 caliber. any thoughts on that? but something different for me, maybe 9mm or .40 are in my thoughts also.

my plan was an 11" bbl with 5.56 caliber. any thoughts on that? but something different for me, maybe 9mm or .40 are in my thoughts also.

If you doing a 11 inch barrel I would do it at 10 on the paper work and a over all still at 24 inches.

If it's larger there won't be a problem because it bigger than you stated so harder to hide like a 26 inch or larger rifle hard to hide so no stamp needed it's more of a problem it you say it's 24 inches and it's 10 inches over all.

I just register 1 on eforms at 1145pm 12/16/18 and did the barrel at 0 inches and over all at 1 inch.

Last edited:
I just register 10 on eforms at 1145pm 12/16/18 and did the barrel at 0 inches and over all at 1 inch.
am i reading that right, barrel lenght at 0" and oal at 1"? how can that be, your basically registering the lower? i guess in other words a firearm to be named later?

Tangent question to the knowledgeable - can you register an SBR as multi-caliber? E.G. you want to have both 5.56 and 300BLK on the same lower; is that allowed?

AFAIK ATF is a tax collecting agency. They don't really care whether your barrel is 2" or 15.99" as long as you pay for the stamp.
Feel free to correct me with anecdotal evidence of someone's barrel or OAL having been checked by feds to verify they conform to whatever the Form 1 says.

I've got an old Uzi inbound. I'm tempted to SBR it and put an 8" bbl on it. Unless somehow that's extra-illegally or something. (Outside of the paperwork and such.)

. . . hold up. You need fingerprints even with a trust???? Honestly. Because if I was going to do this illegally, I'd certainly fill out the paperwork first. Ugh.

You can list several calibers on your Form 1, don't use the word "multi-caliber", they don't like it.

Assuming nobody is sadistic enough to not use the eForm 1, I don't believe this statement is true. You have a single dropdown box for the caliber and a single dropdown for the unit of measure. On the paper form you could write out 5.56mm and .300 Blackout but not via eForm.

Here is an example,

EDIT: I use mm for unit of measure, this is an example from the trust vendor I use, he clearly used caliber.

fullsizeoutput_e81.jpeg

Assuming nobody is sadistic enough to not use the eForm 1, I don't believe this statement is true. You have a single dropdown box for the caliber and a single dropdown for the unit of measure. On the paper form you could write out 5.56mm and .300 Blackout but not via eForm.

I have zero experience with eforms. My paper forms got approved with several calibers listed.
Apparently paper form is the only way to have multiple calibers on record.

Assuming nobody is sadistic enough to not use the eForm 1, I don't believe this statement is true. You have a single dropdown box for the caliber and a single dropdown for the unit of measure.
if you can change the barrel length later on, cannot you do the same with caliber?

. . . hold up. You need fingerprints even with a trust???? Honestly. Because if I was going to do this illegally, I'd certainly fill out the paperwork first. Ugh.

I believe that change was 7/2016 under 41F. People in trusts had to be “responsible persons” or whatever the wording, Filing as an individual now bypasses CLEO’s approval, just need to notify.

Back
Top Bottom