SBR question:

If a evil banned lower receiver (Colt AR-15), is used as a host for a SBR and is engraved by the company doing the conversion, is it in the eyes of CT still banned Colt AR-15 or is it known strictly by the SBR name? Which name would go on the NFA tax stamp paperwork?

still banned. sorry. Only time a colt is allowed is if it is a machine gun. And then it must be full auto only. No select fire.

Why is this true?? Read the statute. It specifically states

Sec.1 Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms
Sec.3a A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

An SBR is still a semiautomatic rifle.

You'll just have to buck up for the expensive lower.

Here is a link to the statute.
http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

Last edited:
This only applies to "Colt AR15" and "Colt Sporter" Models. The "Colt Carbine" is the only preban Colt model not banned in CT. They are few and far between. Any of the Colt "Match Target" postbans are legal in CT. The 6920 or 6921 would be legal in CT if modified to be ban compliant.

This only applies to "Colt AR15" and "Colt Sporter" Models. The "Colt Carbine" is the only preban Colt model not banned in CT. They are few and far between. Any of the Colt "Match Target" postbans are legal in CT. The 6920 or 6921 would be legal in CT if modified to be ban compliant.

If the Colt Carbine is not banned, thats great. I did not know that, and in lots of discussions with people about the ban I've never heard that. The "Colt Carbine" is certainly not banned in the statute. I just have never heard of that model.

Re all the other stuff. Everything I said refers to pre-ban guns. Of course the 6920 is legal. Its a post ban "neutered" gun.

Bottom line is that in CT
1) a preban colt (with the possible exception of the rare "Colt Carbine") is bad in CT. It makes you a felon.
2) a preban non-colt is GOOD in CT. Its worth about $600 more than a comparable post ban gun and can be legally built up with any combination of evil features that you want.

Don

I just wanted to clarify because too often people fall under the impression that ANY Colt is a no-go in CT. I know the people who know, know and only say Colt to save time typing but the people who don't know get the wrong idea sometimes.

In regard to the Colt Carbine, I sold mine a few weeks back and know a handful of people who have them. There were only several hundred produced. It looks like a 6520 but instead of the "AR15A2" markings it is stamped "Colt Carbine."

I'd love to get my hands on one of those. I sold my Colt A2 Hbar Sporter's lower after the AWB. I've still got all the parts and have considered putting it back together on one of the non-colt pre-ban lowers I own, but can't seem to bring myself to do it. I'd love to rebuild it on another colt lower.

Do you mind telling how much you got for the Colt Carbine?
Does it have a screw front "pin" or is it a pin?

Thanks,

Don

Back
Top Bottom