• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR question

Boghog1

NES Member
I have a question about an AR with a <16" barrel
theoretically could I put a 14.5" barrel on as long as it doesn't have a rifle stock of could I buy a 14.5" barrel and not have it installed legally? just sitting in my safe

I have a question about an AR with a <16" barrel
theoretically could I put a 14.5" barrel on as long as it doesn't have a rifle stock of could I buy a 14.5" barrel and not have it installed legally? just sitting in my safe

No.
Once a gun is registered as (in this case) a rifle (or a shotgun) it is always a rifle and must meet the min bbl and oal.
In many cases, removing a stock from a 16 rifle or 18" bbl shotgun will put it UNDER the min OAL and thus be an unregistered NFA device.

In the case of an AR specifically, owning a standard 16" gun is fine. But, merely being in possession of an sbr upper puts you in jeopardy of (i'm not 100% sure that I am using the right term but) constructive possession of an unregistered SBR. The only way to LEGALLY possess a SBR upper would be to NOT own an AR at all, own an AR pistol (legally able to put that upper on), or have your 16" registered as an SBR.

You can never turn a (registered) rifle into a pistol from a legal standpoint, if a receiver has EVER had a shoulder stock on it, it is always a rifle. And, on the flip side, you can never attach a shoulder stock to an AR pistol as this becomes an unregistered SBR.

Last edited:
thanks as of right now I have an unfinished lower I was thinking I could go with a short barrel until I decide what to do with it. maybe since I live in the land of the free I will set up a trust and get a SBR upper with suppressor might make for some fun

Being outside of MA, you can make a AR pistol... Your previously never assembled lower, with no stock, as a complete weapon, would be a pistol, as long as it doesn't have a forward pistol grip (in which case it would be in AOW configuration, and subject to NFA). This is regardless of barrel length.

--EasyD

thanks as of right now I have an unfinished lower I was thinking I could go with a short barrel until I decide what to do with it. maybe since I live in the land of the free I will set up a trust and get a SBR upper with suppressor might make for some fun

As long as you have a virgin receiver that has never had a stock attached and is not registered as a long gun, then as mentioned, then just build it into a pistol. At some point down the road, file a form 1 and once approved just add the stock onto your now perfectly legal sbr.

Back
Top Bottom