• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR question (Boston Ma)

Hey guys, new to the boards. Forgive me if this is the wrong spot to post this.

I am am wondering if anyone has been able to get a CLEO signature for a SBR form 1 in Boston. Any advice will help.

I would have figured the feds would have automated the ratting out process, I didn't realize that was up to the person applying for the stamp.

-Mike

Copy of form goes to the Cleo after the parties sign everything. Instead of swinging the form by for a signature you just drop a copy to them. I am aware of at least one Cleo who then"denied" the transfer by letter to the owner who then had to politely explain that there was no more sign off..... As stated on the form.

Copy of form goes to the Cleo after the parties sign everything. Instead of swinging the form by for a signature you just drop a copy to them. I am aware of at least one Cleo who then"denied" the transfer by letter to the owner who then had to politely explain that there was no more sign off..... As stated on the form.

I love that so much. [smile]

how do I notify them? And do I need to get some sort of paperwork proving I did notify them?

Put the LEO Copy of the Form in the mail. The ATF says "The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor." No response is required; nor is any confirmation. A lot of folks send the form to the Head of the State Police, which almost always results in the form either 1) being returned with a letter that says "we don't want this." (which is actually confirmation, if you care) or 2) they shit can it, which means it essentially goes away. Either way, it cuts the local CLEO out of the loop.

If you have a NFA trust, you must send the letter to the CLEO for each trustee.

It gave me great pleasure sending such a letter to the Cambridge commissioner (uppity town, having a chief is not good enough for them ... sort of like schools that have a Chancellor rather than a superintendent).

I always state "This letter is being sent to comply with BATFE notification requirements. No action on your part is being requested."

Here is the language right from the Form 1, for anyone curious:

Information for the Chief Law Enforcement Officer

This form provides notification of the applicant's intent to make and register a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm. No action on your part is required. However, should you have information that may disqualify this person from making or possessing a firearm, please contact the NFA Branch at (304) 616-4500 or [email protected]. A "Yes" answer to items 11.a through 11.h or 13.b or 13.c could disqualify a person from acquiring or possessing a firearm. Also, ATF will not approve an application if the making or possession of the firearm is in violation of State or local law.

I can just imagine the conversation when a CLEO tries to call the NFA Branch to say they don't "approve" of the Form 1.

"Are you saying you have information that disqualifies this person from making or possessing a firearm?"
"No, I just don't think it's a good idea."
"Kthxbye"

If you have a NFA trust, you must send the letter to the CLEO for each trustee.

It gave me great pleasure sending such a letter to the Cambridge commissioner (uppity town, having a chief is not good enough for them ... sort of like schools that have a Chancellor rather than a superintendent).

I always state "This letter is being sent to comply with BATFE notification requirements. No action on your part is being requested."

A small point, but there is no "letter" to send. You send the CLEO Copy of the Form 1 along with a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, for each responsible person (trustee). You can send a cover letter if desired, I suppose, but it's not required.

I didn't want there to be any confusion for newbies who are wonder about "letters."

A side question if I may?

Did this change to merely inform as opposed to getting permission (signature) also extend to the Fed from for purchase of a machine gun? Or do folks still need permission from the chief as well as the Fed approval and tax stamp?

A side question if I may?

Did this change to merely inform as opposed to getting permission (signature) also extend to the Fed from for purchase of a machine gun? Or do folks still need permission from the chief as well as the Fed approval and tax stamp?

With regard to the Feds, yes. Both the Form 1 (to make) and the Form 4 (to transfer) now have CLEO Notification as opposed to Approval. A machine gun would transfer on a Form 4.

I don't know the peculiarities of MA law. Isn't there some kind of machine gun license in MA? Some green card thing? I don't know what it takes for that, but the Fed forms are now notification.

With regard to the Feds, yes. Both the Form 1 (to make) and the Form 4 (to transfer) now have CLEO Notification as opposed to Approval. A machine gun would transfer on a Form 4.

I don't know the peculiarities of MA law. Isn't there some kind of machine gun license in MA? Some green card thing? I don't know what it takes for that, but the Fed forms are now notification.

Many thanks.

My chief might get pissed as he likes to have an officer do a walk-thru, evaluate your security system prior to approving a green card (yes, MA requires this separate license for possession or merely touching a mg) and thus I'm sure he liked the ability to sign off or not on a Form 4.

Put the LEO Copy of the Form in the mail. The ATF says "The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor." No response is required; nor is any confirmation. A lot of folks send the form to the Head of the State Police, which almost always results in the form either 1) being returned with a letter that says "we don't want this." (which is actually confirmation, if you care) or 2) they shit can it, which means it essentially goes away. Either way, it cuts the local CLEO out of the loop.

Though I live in a 'green' town, I'm curious if this means I can send a letter to the Worcester County Sheriff rather than COP in my town. Sheriff Evangelidis is a very strong supporter of 2A. Since it mentions head of the Staties too, I'm thinking Sheriff is a 'yes'.

Though I live in a 'green' town, I'm curious if this means I can send a letter to the Worcester County Sheriff rather than COP in my town. Sheriff Evangelidis is a very strong supporter of 2A. Since it mentions head of the Staties too, I'm thinking Sheriff is a 'yes'.

Well, it specifically says "the Sheriff." Why would you think it doesn't mean "the Sheriff?" I'm sure it would have to be your Sheriff, but other than that, what's your boggle, citizen?

there's so much awesomeness in this.... [smile]

As far as MGs only requiring notification, your CLEO decides weather you get a green car (machine gun license) so your cheif still has total authority....but he/she has no authority of other NFA items unlees he tries to pull suitability for your ltc because of a form1/4 notification...we'll have to wait and see if this ever happens

As far as MGs only requiring notification, your CLEO decides weather you get a green car (machine gun license) so your cheif still has total authority....but he/she has no authority of other NFA items unlees he tries to pull suitability for your ltc because of a form1/4 notification...we'll have to wait and see if this ever happens

Understood wrt the mg license. I have no intention of buying one, but I do have the mg license and can now shoot a friend's burst-mode toys at MF&G.

Back
Top Bottom