SBR PDW Options

I spent some time last year looking for the Saint Edge EVAC but was unable to find one for sale anywhere near MSRP. Recently searched for it and found that Springfield pretty much discontinued the entire Saint Edge pistol lineup.

I decided that since I'm in GA I'll go the all out and get an SBR and a suppressor.

A friend recommended the Sig MCX Rattler SBR in .300 Blackout as the 5.56 version is not capable (per Sig) of accepting a suppressor. The reviews seem positive and the lack of a buffer tube allows for a more compact rifle.

Thoughts? Anything else I should consider. My preference is for something pre-built as I'm not trying for a custom build at this point.

The Rattler is more common, but I would try for an MCX in 300BLK with the 6.75” barrel rather than the Rattler’s 5.5”. The 6.75” version can do direct barrel swaps with the 11.5” 5.56 or a 16”. From research I’ve done (no direct experience yet), the Rattler is slightly different and cannot directly swap the longer barrels.

32DABCD8-FA33-4397-AC21-3FE5902AA819.jpeg

Another option for PDW is a P320 in the Flux Raider chassis. It is a legitimate package that allows for easy, fast and accurate shots out to at least 50 yards (max I’ve taken one). The spare mag holder actually provides a really fast reload and isn’t a gimmick like I thought. It also allows for easy one handed operation if you need to use your other hand for doors, holding your dog, or wrangling family members. One-point slinging it allows you to carry it easily under a jacket… if the situation ever necessitated. And it easily fits inside a laptop bag. It is a tiny overall package. A good deal smaller than an SP5K or Rattler. And since it’s a braced pistol, you can easily take it between states without getting ATF permission.

ED50F156-C107-46C3-81EB-730989E3CD8F.jpeg

The Raider really only has two main downsides. If the ATF pistol brace ruling goes through unchanged, then it will become an SBR and then a no-go for Massachusetts residents because of the telescoping “stock”. But that’s not an issue for you. The other main downside is that they are almost never in stock.

Last edited:
and it will cycle ok with 11.5"?

I’m pretty sure, yeah. As far as I’m tracking, the recoil springs and BCG on the MCX are a constant. The piece of the system that changes is the gas port and block which are part of the barrel. Of course, the spare barrels are expensive and hard to find, which has been a problem with the MCX for a while.

Sig website does not appear to show either the 6.75" or 11" SBR options. I did come across the below, but it seems like a pricey set-up.

The Rattler is more common, but I would try for an MCX in 300BLK with the 6.75” barrel rather than the Rattler’s 5.5”. The 6.75” version can do direct barrel swaps with the 11.5” 5.56 or a 16”. From research I’ve done (no direct experience yet), the Rattler is slightly different and cannot directly swap the longer barrels.

View attachment 619325

Another option for PDW is a P320 in the Flux Raider chassis. It is a legitimate package that allows for easy, fast and accurate shots out to at least 50 yards (max I’ve taken one). The spare mag holder actually provides a really fast reload and isn’t a gimmick like I thought. It also allows for easy one handed operation if you need to use your other hand for doors, holding your dog, or wrangling family members. One-point slinging it allows you to carry it easily under a jacket… if the situation ever necessitated. And it easily fits inside a laptop bag. It is a tiny overall package. A good deal smaller than an SP5K or Rattler. And since it’s a braced pistol, you can easily take it between states without getting ATF permission.

View attachment 619329

The Raider really only has two main downsides. If the ATF pistol brace ruling goes through unchanged, then it will become an SBR and then a no-go for Massachusetts residents because of the telescoping “stock”. But that’s not an issue for you. The other main downside is that they are almost never in stock.
0811364E-F3CF-4118-9C5D-1A7AB9C4C71B.jpeg

View attachment 619325

What MCX model is that? Sig seems to have pared down their MCX lineup in 300BLK to a small number of pistols with 5.5" barrels.

What MCX model is that? Sig seems to have pared down their MCX lineup in 300BLK to a small number of pistols with 5.5" barrels.
hmm, maybe they don’t offer it anymore.

It’s the “TACOPS” and the handguard and fake silencer need to be swapped out:

Theoretically you can get the 11.5” 5.56 and then buy the 6.75” 300blk barrel separately. But that’s dependent on things actually being in stock ever.

Going the Rattler route would be a heck of a lot easier.

hmm, maybe they don’t offer it anymore.

It’s the “TACOPS” and the handguard and fake silencer need to be swapped out:

Theoretically you can get the 11.5” 5.56 and then buy the 6.75” 300blk barrel separately. But that’s dependent on things actually being in stock ever.

Going the Rattler route would be a heck of a lot easier.

Thanks. I did some searching for the TACOPS yesterday. It appears to have been a TALO distributor exclusive. The few I found for sale range from $3,000-$3,500, which appears to well above what they sold for when initially released.

Yeah, at this point the Rattler would cheaper and easier. The Sig FAQs do seem to indicate that barrels are not swappable into the Rattler, but complete uppers would be.

Back
Top Bottom