SBR in Mass. upper or lower

maxdogk911

NES Member
Can I build and register an upper in mass. as a serialized upper for a short barrel rifle build, instead of a lower being the registered part of the firearm?? Good question, I know its a tough one, but I had to ask. Recently, I have heard that I can build th upper as the registered portion instaed of the lower. Before you come out with the lower as being the real (serialized portion of a firearm) firearm, I have recently seen a registered upper in Mass. So is it possible and does someone have a person in ATF boston that can answer that question. Thanks and let me know as I am in the begining stages of two SBR builds on would like to have confirmation prior to waisting two lowers.

Can I build and register an upper in mass. as a serialized upper for a short barrel rifle build, instead of a lower being the registered part of the firearm?? Good question, I know its a tough one, but I had to ask. Recently, I have heard that I can build th upper as the registered portion instaed of the lower. Before you come out with the lower as being the real (serialized portion of a firearm) firearm, I have recently seen a registered upper in Mass. So is it possible and does someone have a person in ATF boston that can answer that question. Thanks and let me know as I am in the begining stages of two SBR builds on would like to have confirmation prior to waisting two lowers.

No. And it has nothing to do with MA law. It's all Federal. A SBR is a complete weapon. You can't register a SBR "conversion device", you can only register a complete rifle with a barrel less then 16" or overall length less then 26" as a SBR.

There are no registered upper AR-15 type rifles. There are registered upper other rifles, because the upper on just about every other type of rifle is considered the receiver. FAL, FNC, AR-70, Sig, H&K-type, etc, all have the upper as the frame.

--EasyD

Thanks

As I sit here today, cribbled with the flu, at least I have you guys to talk to. I do know of someone that has recently registered an upper as the SBR portion and am waiting for him to call me back. I got his name from a local manufactorer and saw the picture, thats why I posted this thread. I will keep you informed as soon as I find out more. maybe it was a mistake. [crying]

Probably so, but I will check ! So far no call back.

Here's the problem. Just cause someone paid the tax, and engraved their info on an upper, doesn't make it a legal SBR. There is nothing from stopping someone from doing just that. However, unlike a MG, you can't register/make a SBR conversion device, no matter what.

--EasyD

so far

I received the call and waiting to meet the person who did just this. I am going to meet him to find out exactly how he did it and when I do, if its lagit, I will pass it along. He is also going to help me through the process to get my SBR project going. Seems to be a decent person and someone who knows what he is talking about. I will let ya all know later.

I received the call and waiting to meet the person who did just this. I am going to meet him to find out exactly how he did it and when I do, if its lagit, I will pass it along. He is also going to help me through the process to get my SBR project going. Seems to be a decent person and someone who knows what he is talking about. I will let ya all know later.

Just cause someone did it, doesn't make it legal! If he knew what he was talking about, he'd be saying it's not possible to register an upper for a AR-15 style firearm as a SBR.

How do you register an upper when it isn't considered a firearm?

You can't. Assuming its an AR-15 style firearm.

--EasyD

maxdogk911, EasyD is the man when it comes to NFA stuff. If it helps I'll second all of his commentary so far. The portion you need to concern yourself with is the lower, the upper after the lower's tax stamp and engraving is a non issue. All Federal btw.

Couldn't he do it with the Sig 556 rifle? I seem to recall that the upper was the registered part on that rifle so I would suppose if you were going to register one as a sbr that would be the registered part.

Couldn't he do it with the Sig 556 rifle? I seem to recall that the upper was the registered part on that rifle so I would suppose if you were going to register one as a sbr that would be the registered part.

Yes, that's why I wrote "with AR-15 type firearms" in all my posts. There are plenty of rifles including the Sig 55x series where the upper is the frame/receiver.

There is a good argument that the ATF screwed up the decision on making the lower the receiver/frame for AR rifles, but they can't really going fixing that now...

--EasyD

I know and hear what EasyD is saying and that is how I always believed it to be, so I myself am very interested to speak to this guy even further to see how he did it. I will let you all know if it is indeed true or if not, what he did and how he did it. EasyD I follow you 100%. But like a cat, I just have to find out more. He has agreed to help me with the lower if I wanted to go that way as well. You guys know you also want to hear "The rest of the story"

Back
Top Bottom