• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR built on preban lower?

So if I build an SBR on a preban lower, I can basically put any "evil' thing I want on it.

Is there anything you definitely cant put on? I would assume a supressor is still off limits.

There is some debate that SBRs don't even need to be built on preban lowers to have the evil features.. You can find that debate on these forums.

Yes a preban rifle can have al the typical even features like a super killy flash suppressor and a bayonet of mass destruction. Suppressors are a no-no. I believe those are also an NFA item, but are explicitly forbidden in Mass.

No debate.. It is right there in MGL.. MA has a ban on assault rifles features.. And they state to be a rifle it has to have a 16" or longer barrel, anything under is not an assault rifle.

There is some debate that SBRs don't even need to be built on preban lowers to have the evil features.. You can find that debate on these forums.

Yes a preban rifle can have al the typical even features like a super killy flash suppressor and a bayonet of mass destruction. Suppressors are a no-no. I believe those are also an NFA item, but are explicitly forbidden in Mass.

No debate.. It is right there in MGL.. MA has a ban on assault rifles features.. And they state to be a rifle it has to have a 16" or longer barrel, anything under is not an assault rifle.

An assault rifle is defined in the law has having a barrel 16 inches or longer. That is explicitly in the law. A SBR does not fall into that category. So there IS debate as to if SBRs are AWB exempt.

As long as it legally is under 16", it is not affected by the AWB.

An assault rifle is defined in the law has having a barrel 16 inches or longer. That is explicitly in the law. A SBR does not fall into that category. So there IS debate as to if SBRs are AWB exempt.

It's bit of a gray area but I think a decent lawyer would get you off if your were caught up with the law. But what are the chances even if its legal that anyone will ever know

Suppressor is off limits, while in MA. But a muzzle break with the quick detach lugs is perfectly and can be used out of state.

And again.. What are the chances.. Most cops don't know what pre or post ban is.

So I guess I can get a brand new lower and just file a Form 1 to build the SBR. When I buy the lower and bring it into the state I dont need to file an FA-10 until I actually build it right?
Im correct in assuming the AWB doesnt restrict import of the lower/receiver as it doesnt have a barrel, etc?

WHOA! Yes debate.
It is an Assault WEAPONS Ban, not an assault rifle ban.
From MA law... definition of Assault Weapon
“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30)
Fed definition
(30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means - (A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as - (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; (B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (v) a grenade launcher; (C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and (D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

MA definitions
“Rifle”, a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

“Firearm”, a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches ... (snip)

“Weapon”, any rifle, shotgun or firearm.
Now... If by MA definition, a "Rifle" has a barrel of 16" and over, a "Firearm" is pistol, SBR or sbs with a barrel of under 16" and a "Firearm" is defined as a "Weapon" then one might assume that a SBR is included in the MA/FED AWB...NO?

But, IANAL so it's your money and time. [wink]

Last edited:
And again.. What are the chances.. Most cops don't know what pre or post ban is.

You're really going to give advice like this... that could take away someones freedom and right to posses a firearm for the rest of their life! [shocked]

WOW! [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom