• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR Barrel Change?

E.Stoner

NES Member
I am looking to SBR several rifles that have have easily changed barrel lengths and are "multi-caliber".
Question:
If you apply for and have approved a Form 1 for an SBR that is 10.5" in 5.56 is it legit to temporarily swap parts for say a 9" in 300 Blackout without paperwork?

Does anybody care?

yes
no

but you wont get a form approved for 'multi caliber'
fill in the form (barrel length, overall length, and caliber) as how it will be initially assembled

Yes I would submit as they would be assembled (5.56).
The issues is: can you run into problems changing barrel lengths/calibers from day to day.
From what I have read this is probably not a big deal. I am not sure how this would become a problem unless you were doing something else retarded.
In reality, I probably would just pick one configuration and stick with it and if I wanted a change i would submit a revision.

Last SBR I had some similar questions - IANAL or LEO but they told me I should retain the upper/length that it was SBR'ed with, and any change was "temporary". If I no longer had the original upper or one of the same length/caliber, perhaps a different story? IIRC they didn't tell me what to do in that case, only that I shouldn't.

IMO, notify only if it's a "permanent" change and can't be returned to the original F1 configuration.

Is your lower engraved with a caliber in addition to name/location or are you relying on the barrel being engraved? I would think having the caliber engraved on the lower to match the approved F1 would be ideal even if it ends up changing in the future.

Back
Top Bottom