Saw my third bobcat on the property today

Uzi2

NES Member
Was at my stand (chair in some brush)today enjoying a nice afternoon in the woods. About 5:30pm, a ~20lb bobcat walks out into my firing lane and starts walking right towards me. Without missing a beat in its gate, it took a little dip with one hind leg and marked its path.
Pretty thing, silvery blue coat with beautiful spotting. White whispy ears and nice face. It walked within 20 feer of me. I know for a fact that this is a separate cat than ones I have pictures of. One on camera is much larger, the other is completely different color.
So this makes three distinct different cats here. Theres probably more but haven't seen them.

Was definitely a Male. 25lbs if I had to guess. Likely not full grown and searching for his own territory given I've never seen him before then and we have cameras. He came back during the night Thursday on a quick walk thru.

I once had a back and forth session with one while calling. The guttural snarl they make is unmistakable. Pretty cool to hear when the woods are otherwise silent.

Have never seen one around here, but when I lived in Tucson they were spotted pretty regularly. I almost ran into one riding my bike up in the Oro Valley area, thing was half in the bike lane and half in the “woods” (desert pretty much), by the time I got close enough to realize what it was it took off. I think it was chasing a rabbit.

I bowhunted North East Kentucky last week. I saw a bobcat about 50 yards out on Monday. Saw two coyotes as well... (one almost got an arrow but winded me at the last second). Passed up two 120+ inch bucks, and lots of does. I flew, so I wasn't looking to take home a lot of meat, just looking for big antlers of which I didn't see any smashers bigger than I have on the wall. I know western KY is where it's at as far as that goes, but this hunt was cheap and the farmer set me up pretty nicely. Saw about as many deer as I would see in 5-8 years of Central MA hunts. Deer every sit. The flight was free, but next time I'll rent a truck/van/SUV and drive and take some venison home.

God, MA is a joke when it comes to deer hunting.

The country was beautiful oak ridges, thick draws, and beautiful hillsides with white oaks. Farmer baited for me but the deer barely touched the corn, mostly does at night hit it, I mostly tried to hunt the ridges where the bucks were travelling sniffing does.

Attachments

• D5D2F126-6865-4DCD-A876-C08341A73928.jpeg
    D5D2F126-6865-4DCD-A876-C08341A73928.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 30
  • CB84F047-7132-4385-BF61-7E65AC869D8A.jpeg
    CB84F047-7132-4385-BF61-7E65AC869D8A.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 67B98695-C1B3-4518-B424-5A2700C962D4.jpeg
    67B98695-C1B3-4518-B424-5A2700C962D4.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I bowhunted North East Kentucky last week. I saw a bobcat about 50 yards out on Monday. Saw two coyotes as well... (one almost got an arrow but winded me at the last second). Passed up two 120+ inch bucks, and lots of does. I flew, so I wasn't looking to take home a lot of meat, just looking for big antlers of which I didn't see any smashers bigger than I have on the wall. I know western KY is where it's at as far as that goes, but this hunt was cheap and the farmer set me up pretty nicely. Saw about as many deer as I would see in 5-8 years of Central MA hunts. Deer every sit. The flight was free, but next time I'll rent a truck/van/SUV and drive and take some venison home.

God, MA is a joke when it comes to deer hunting.

The country was beautiful oak ridges, thick draws, and beautiful hillsides with white oaks. Farmer baited for me but the deer barely touched the corn, mostly does at night hit it, I mostly tried to hunt the ridges where the bucks were travelling sniffing does.

Sounds like a good time all around. Wish you luck on the next one.

Thanks. It was the most relaxing hunt I've been on. Cabin on the spot, just got up and hunted mornings and evenings. Took a trip to a few spots on the Bourbon trail too midday. Weather was fantastic only rained at night.

Deer were unpressured and pretty easy to figure out what was going on, even with the bow I had many opportunities, wish I had driven, i would have laid the smack down a couple times for the venison. But I'm lucky enough to have a buddy that just wacked a few and gave me a bunch of meat, so it's not a big deal.

Sounds like a nice place.

I've got 110 acres here. The last buck I took here, an 8 pointer, I shot him one step out the back door with a K98 Mauser.

Its nice to be able to just get up, get dressed and walk into the woods. I've got 8 more days to hunt modern gun here.
Its raining here now so will be out there in the morning.

Update: Now have picture of a fourth bobcat on the property. This one was caught on camera Tuesday morning about an hour after sunrise. She appeared to be licking a spot where some minerals were placed a while ago.
She's a large, pregnant looking female with a golden spotted coat.

So far, One very large silvery coated male, one smaller orange colored spotted female, one small silvery coated ??, and now this pregnant looking female.
Never thought there was sufficient food to support this many cats so close but evidently they are thriving.

Today's hunting experience:
Was out in my "chair in the brush" stand about 10:30 am today. Had been sitting for about five minutes and put out a few grunts then sitting quietly, strong breeze/wind to my face, a four pointer walks out of the brush about forty feet away and walks right up to me within ten feet. If I was quick enough I could have clubbed him with the rifle. He stood there scenting and looking right at me for about two minutes then just sauntered off to my left down a mowed path. He wasn't the least bit alarmed but I was completely still for the encounter. He never did get my scent as the wind was perfect.
He's got a nice symetrical rack and a stout body......I let him go on his way......he has good genes and hope he has offspring next summer.
I have pictures of him on two cameras so I recognized him as soon as he showed up. He's not on the hit list for a couple of years anyway.
It turned very cold and started sleeting heavily here about 1pm amd I was just a little under dressed. Could have used another layer to cut the wind(next time) and I had to clean my stove pipe and bring in some wood so I called it a day and will head back out in the morning.

I hope to intercept one of three nice bucks on the camera....one is a 7 pointer(asymetrical rack, 3 left, 4 right), another is a, 8 with long vertical tines, the other is a very big bodied 6 pointer.

Back
Top Bottom