• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Savage Model 1917 Info?

Do any of my fellow collector's have a source of information on the Savage Pistols, Models 1905 and 1917? I am having trouble finding a very complete web based source of information on these little pistols. I picked up a 1917 in 32ACP and am trying to place when it was built (1920 I think) with the markings and patent date.

So far I have found this site: http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

But it is not very detailed and not very informative about the comparisons and variations of these pistols.

Thanks for the help.

Niner.

Thanks for the links JD. This gun is starting to make more sense. From what I have been reading, it is a very early 1917, which began to be made in 1920. (You would think it would then be called the Model 1920?). Because is was made in 1920 it does not have the Model 17 writing on the left of the frame. Because it did not have the Model 1917 written on the left side I thought I was buying a 1907. I can now see the differences between the 1907 and the 1917.

I have also discovered that the mag is not factory and only holds 9 rounds. I will try it out tomorrow and see if the mag functions well. I have read that many after market mags do not work. I really like this little 32 and will take pics when I can.

Try searching on EddieCoyle (all one word). Great guy - very knowledgeable about all things including reloading and large caliber handguns - hates cats.

I have a 1917 manufactured in 1920 as well, also a 1915 hammerless manufactured in 1915 and a French Contract 1907, also manufactured in 1915. Lots of fun in a small package! Spare mags are pretty pricey, though.

Last edited:
Nice collection USMA.... I will be adding these Savage Pistols to the guns I like to collect. I had to sell of a few things I was bored with to get this and a couple of ther 32's I picked up the past couple of weeks. This is the best one out of the lot.

Try searching on EddieCoyle (all one word). Great guy - very knowledgeable about all things including reloading and large caliber handguns - hates cats.

I have a 1917 manufactured in 1920 as well, also a 1915 hammerless manufactured in 1915 and a French Contract 1907, also manufactured in 1915. Lots of fun in a small package! Spare mags are pretty pricey, though.

Thanks for the compliment EddieCoyle and thank you for that excellent web page you have on the 07. I loved looking at all the old ads. In fact, they helped convince me I needed this pistol.

Another great addition, Niner. You'll be busy for a very long time filling out the vintage small caliber pistol collection. But you've made some big strides lately! Congrats.

That is one of the nicest 1917's I've seen lately. Good score. I've been looking for one for awhile. Here is my 1907:

DSC_1651.jpg

Thanks Martin and KC. I saw three Savage Model 1917's these past couple of weeks. This was the nicest condition wise and I also thought it was a 1907 since it did not have the Model 17 inscription on the right side of the frame as I explained in a previous post. Now I am on the look out for a 07, hopefully one as nice as yours KC.

You are right Martin, fulfilling the small caliber pre-1945 list I think is as difficult going the Mosin route. There is a lot out there to discover and learn about.

Do any of my fellow collector's have a source of information on the Savage Pistols, Models 1905 and 1917? I am having trouble finding a very complete web based source of information on these little pistols. I picked up a 1917 in 32ACP and am trying to place when it was built (1920 I think) with the markings and patent date.

So far I have found this site: http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

But it is not very detailed and not very informative about the comparisons and variations of these pistols.

Thanks for the help.

Niner.

Eddie Coyle is the local expert I think. I've got a 1907

The site above is a section of EC's site. So yep, he would be the go-to guy on that one.

Back
Top Bottom