• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Savage Model 10

TY43215

NES Member
I am looking at doing a little rifle shooting with my Son. Only rifle work I have done is with AR-15s or 22LR bolts.

Can anyone give me pros and cons to the Savage Model 10 in 308?

Looking at 100 and 200 yards right now and maybe if we get daring out to 600 [shocked]

No competition in mind right now, just something we can do together. As an aside, my Son is an adult not a little kid [wink]

The only con I can think of is some people don't like the accu trigger. I think it's fantastic. Great gun and is on my next 'to buy' list.

I like mine. It's an older version with the non-accutrigger and flat rear receiver. The price was $395 and it's a good shooter. I replaced the trigger with a Rifle Basix SAV-1 and it's really good for the money. Savage has good barrels and they can be easily swapped out if you don't get one that shoots to your ability.

Joe R.

I have an FP-10 in .308 and so far like it a lot. I would go for the HS Precision or McMillan stock model as the factory black plastic stock is a POS. I have mine in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock and it is a 100% improvement. I have the accutrigger and it is set around 1.5lbs and has a nice clean break. They are very accurate right out of the box also. I have shot 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups with factory match ammo, and it will only get better with some handloads.

Last edited:
I have a model 11 with accu-trigger and black plastic non-accustock in .223

I really like the trigger, once I got used to it. The blade that protrudes from the center of the trigger feels a little strange at first, feels ever so slightly like the trigger is pushing your finger away. Once you get used to it, that just feels like part of the take-up and the thin blade helps you place your finger on the trigger. The older stock is really a piece of super-crap. The seams from the molding are still there and sharp, which is especially bothersome at the wrist. I was going to try and sand out the seams, but haven't got around to it. I will probably replace it anyways.

Granted, I don't have a line-up of $400 rifles to do a comparison test, but it seemed to me that this was by far the best value when comparing $$$ to MOA.

If the accutrigger works for you, the 10 is the most accurate least expensive bolt gun on the market. Also have a look at the Remington 700. There are more after market options for the 700, but initial cost is higher. They're great shooters. My 700 BDL in 308 with 24" bull barrel shoots 1 MOA and I haven't done anything to is but adjust factory trigger and add bipod.

i have a 10FP in .223 as well. i also have the Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock and can't say enough good things about this rifle.

when you factor the price of the stock, mount and scope.... you can build a serious rifle for less than $1500 if you shop wisley.

[smile]

I have an FP-10 in .308 and so far like it a lot. I would go for the HS Precision or McMillan stock model as the factory black plastic stock is a POS. I have mine in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock and it is a 100% improvement. I have the accutrigger and it is set around 1.5lbs and has a nice clean break. They are very accurate right out of the box also. I have shot 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups with factory match ammo, and it will only get better with some handloads.

Have a 10FP in 308 with the Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock as well.... My experience agrees 100% with the comments in this post....

Savage has made some great strides in the last 5 years in all aspects of their rifles. Their Accutrigger is one of the best if not the best trigger out of the box from the big factory brands, some people don't like the hinge I personally love it. My next purchase is going to be the 16 FCSS in 300WSM, Savages are great rifles for the price.

Back
Top Bottom