• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Savage Mark II FSS compared to the Marlin XT-22SR

Have a lot of rounds through the MK II FV, and a lot of small game hunting.

Gun is accurate and 100% dependable, only regret is not going with the stainless model. The Savage bluing is not great for rust protection.

I have the Marlin XT-22MR (magnum) and am happy with it for a $200 gun. Cant give any opinions on the Savage Mark II as I haven't handled one. The Marlin seemed accurate, out of the box, at 50yds with irons and my crappy eyes. Trigger feels good and is adjustable. Only issue that I have is the bolt cant easily be broken down any further when removed for cleaning. There are some reported issues with Remlin QC; barrel alignment in regards to the sights and mag feeding issues but this was with early production. I haven't experienced any issues but mine is just broken in at about 500 rds. Good luck with your decision.

My savage mark II BTVS is a tack driver. It lays to waste any ruger or marlin rifle i have ever fired. Ive been able to push it to 200 yards with very good results assuming good ammo. Also barrel holds zero regardless of how hot I get it from repeated firing.

my only complaint about the savage is the mags are somewhat cheaply built....theyre stamped together and while they work just fine they arent the most rugged mags around.

aside from mags I would easily recommend the savage mark II. The G model looks cool too i think thats the one w iron sights included.

I have a Mark II BTVS also. I've seen 1/4" CTC 5 shot groups at 50 yards from it. Best I can do is 1/2" CTC groups up to 3/4". I lightened the trigger by cutting off some of the trigger return spring. It shoots CCI Standard or Wolf Match ammo the best.

It has the heavy barrel, not the thin one.

Last edited:
Very happy with my Savage. For the 450 paid it is a lot of gun.
Some of the inner parts are a little crude but it works and shoots well.
Again for the price it is very nice.

N7K_1297.jpg

Last edited:
Being a south paw, the availability of a lefty was the selling point for me with my mark II.

I'll second the poor blueing job though - not a problem on a cheap beater but would buy a stainless if I picked up another.

Phone post: intelligence not included

i got my savage mark II at pullman arms. they usually have a nice selection and prices were good for those rifles. i recall feeling "love at first sight" for the thumbhole stock BTVS model. the thumbhole stock is definitely a love-hate thing....seems very few are ambivalent on it. the standard stocks with heavy stainless barrel would probably be the most functional rifle setup.

the rifle doesn't come with iron sights which initially really bothered me. however the integral pic rails are a nice touch and spaced perfectly over the receiver.

don't skimp on your optic. the rifle is incredibly accurate so it's worth of some good glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys!

I ordered the Savage Mark II FSS today. I'll let you know what I think once I take it out! Now for optics...

Finally able to get out to the range and put some rounds through the Mark II FSS. Very accurate out of the box! This is a fun rifle to shoot.

Only negative in my opinion is the magazine. Waiting for a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 3-9 x 40 (BDC 150) to arrive.

Finally able to get out to the range and put some rounds through the Mark II FSS. Very accurate out of the box! This is a fun rifle to shoot.

Only negative in my opinion is the magazine. Waiting for a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 3-9 x 40 (BDC 150) to arrive.

The magazines look/feel like crap, but the aftermarket ones are identical, and they're both holding up so far for me.

Back
Top Bottom